• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appalachian Trail North Bound Hike

mission_fail

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
New Port Richey, FL
After 141 days of being gone from here, I'm back. Felt like taking a little walk from Georgia to Maine. Here's a few pics since "without pictures, it didn't happen."

GEDC0030.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

Re: Appalachian Trail North Bound Hike

Congrats. That's quite an accomplishment. When are you doing the Pacific Crest Trail?

In my next life. It was fun but one long trip like this is enough. Long distance cycling looks like more fun. I'll still be hiking though here and there for days to a couple weeks.

Nice work Man!

I have wanted to do that since I was a boy scout and have profound respect for those who accomplish it. I grew up in the mountains of New Hampshire and Maine as a kid. Sure do miss it.

Love the shot of Mt. Washington; reminds me of the time when my wife was so scared of the drive up that she was unwilling to make the drive back down until she had a few drinks! Too many Toonces the driving cat references might have been part of the problem
laugh.gif

My daughters were howling with laughter at her terror. Flat landers...

Way to go man!! My family has maintained a section of the AT in Maine for approximately the last 65 years. It's the eight mile stretch from the south end of Nahmakanta Lake north to the crossing on Pollywog Stream. You might remember the view of Katahdin from the top of Nesuntabunt Mt. We also did the relocation from the Pollywog stream crossing along Rainbow stream and the Rainbow deadwater to Rainbow lake. I remember building the Wadleigh valley shelter when I was but a wee youngster. I hope it was a good time.

man thats awesome!!!

This is on my bucketlist

I remember that stretch like it was almost yesterday. Wadleigh shelter was the last shelter I stayed at. Didn't get to enjoy it much since I got in at 2030 that night and went to sleep as soon as possible. There were two owls perched in the trees surrounding the fire pit and that was pretty cool. Luckily they left soon as they would have kept me up all night otherwise. Biggest mosquitoes I ever saw in my life were in that shelter too.

A buddy of mine from work started about the same time as you. He was at Mt. Mousilauke as of this morning.

Nice job. Wanna do that or the PCT one day

OK, now what are you doing next...?

As a Scout Leader most of my life, I tend to run into the ocasional "Gone all the Way" AT hiker. I seriously doubt very many folks fully appreciate the magnitude of the experience.

My appreciation and congratulations. You are an outstanding ndividual among outstanding individuals

In a previous life, I covered sections in VA, PA, NJ, and NY (some repeatedly); mostly in overnight, or at most, week-long forays. The trail's routing usually sticks to high ground, providing a non-ending series of awesome views and merciful separation from the rest of the madding crowd.

One of my 'regular' jaunts was the hike up from the Delaware Water Gap to High Point in NJ, down to Port Jervis NY, then canoes down the Delaware back to the Gap. For a half dozen years in the 1970's, it was the year-long plan for our Scout troop to make that pilgrimage each Summer out of (long defunct) Camp Mohican at Catfish Pond in NJ.

Virginia = Bears. Chain link fencing closing off the fronts of the lean-to's. Tourists, bad food security discipline, nuisance bears, inevitible.

One of my greater disappointments is the simple fact that these days, I am no longer fit enough to hike the AT anymore. For a long time, my ultimate dream was to follow Spring Northbound, solo all the way to Katahdin. My Wife, wisely, would never say 'Yes'.

Greg

Congrats. I have done most of Ga and NC & some of VA. My dad completed the trail a few years ago. He did not thru hike, but he did the whole thing. It was a great experience for him. He also completed the Mountains to Sea trail in NC a few years ago-at 66 years old & a few months after having half of his left lung removed.