• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Apparent proof - relationship between grains & fps

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I have in an earlier thread on this forum theorized that the amount of powder required in a handload goes up with the SQUARE of the velocity required. I think I accidentally got proof the other day.

I was testing the new 250g Hybrid Tactical 338 bullet from Berger in my TRG Model 42 in 338 Lapua Magnum, using:

Lapua cases
Federal 215M primers
Berger's "new" 250g Hybrid Tactical bullet
Retumbo powder

Here is a table of the summarized chronograph results I obtained:

Grains / fps / (no. of successful fps readings):

91.0 / 2684 / (4) (note: Lowest was 2646, highest was 2710)

92.0 / 2744 / (4) (note: lowest was 2741, highest was 2746 !)

93.0 / 2781 / (3) (note: 2792, 2772, 2778 so ES = 20)

94.0 / 2820 / (1) (Chrono stopped reading altogether after 1 shot)

95.0 / 2849 / (3) (2850, 2848, 2848. Wow! But, groups not as good as 92.0 to 94.0 grains depsite that)

So . . .

Gain from 91.0 to 92.0 grains = 60 fps
Gain from 92.0 to 93.0 grains = 37 fps
Gain from 93.0 to 94.0 grains = 39 fps
Gain from 94.0 to 95.0 grains = 29 fps

This by itself SUGGESTS a relaiton of the form:

grains of powder = some constant x velocity squared

This makes sense since the pwoder supplies energy, some of which is actually used to propel the bullet (the rest is lsot as muzzle blast and heat).

But, if this is true, then the math looks like this:

If energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity x velocity, then:

grains of powder = some constant x velocity squared

or

constant = grains of powder / velocity squared

So, I did the math on the data values listed above. Here are the results for all the data values from 91.0 grains to 95.0 grains:

91 grains / 2694 squared = .0000126

92 grains / 2744 squared = .0000122

93 grains / 2781 squared = .0000120

94 grains / 2820 squared = .0000118

95 grains / 2849 squared = .0000117

Note though that dividng grains by stright (not squared velocity) works pretty well within a NARROW band of grains, as the differences between direct and squared relationship are small for SMALL changes:

91/2684 = .0339

92/2744 = .0335

93/2781 = .0334

94/2820 = .0333

95/2849 = .0333

So if we stay within a narrow band (like when fine tuning), the direct relationship is probably close enough, but will break down as the velocity / powder grains range broadens.

(Jim G edit 2012-03-12 11:56am - had accidentally posted wrong columns in 1st post)

I'd say that is pretty good correlation between prediction and actual. Amount of powder required IS closely proprotional to the square of the velocity desired or attained.

Note that the best accuracy, consistently, was for way LESS than the maximum that the (Hodgdon) loading manual showed (98.0 grains, compressed load). The ebst accuracy was at 92.0, 93.0 and 94.0 grains, with 93.0 being the best of the 3, with the limited number of rounds fired (50 total) and my lack of skill (some groups were clearly shooter error).

Best "velocity-for-the-buck" was at the lower end, where 92.0 grains, where you pick up 60 fps by adding 1 grain of powder.

If this correlation holds in further testing, it gives us a way to "design" our loads in advance of actual testing, and then test to see how the load actually performs in terms of ACCURACY in our specific rifles, as accuracy depends on additional different factors than sheer velocity. To get starting points for testing, just use the grains and velocities shown in most loading manuals.

The constant will of course be different for each rifle, pwoeder, bulelt, etc, but the point is there appears to be a constant. So, you CAN predict velocity for any pwoder laod in YOUR rifle once you know the velocity at ONE powder load.

And of course, you can predict energy, elevation clicks, and windage clicks too, by using the proper formulas and apps.

Jim G

Re: Apparent proof - relationship between grains & fps

good looking data Jim.

Have you done any with just changing OAL? I always wonder if barrels or bullets prefer a velocity, over whether they touch the lands or not. When I get time, ill post up by data. Mine seems to follow yours, though I load .308, but the ratios seem to be close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vantastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good looking data Jim.

Have you done any with just changing OAL? I always wonder if barrels or bullets prefer a velocity, over whether they touch the lands or not. When I get time, ill post up by data. Mine seems to follow yours, though I load .308, but the ratios seem to be close. </div></div>

I have only a very limited supply of these bullets from Berger, so do not have enough to do any testing on effect of increasing jump (I cannot decrease it, as I am at the mag limit, and do not want to have to load individual rounds for each shot).

I wish I had about 500 of these to do proper testing, but you work with what berger gives you when they give you free bullets in return for reporting your test results.

I suspect this bullet has a great deal of potential (See my other posting today).

I want to develop enough test data ideally to be able to model the bulelt behavior in the future without having to do so much actual test firing.

Jim G

What was interesting, I noticed that my barrel like a velocity rather than where it sat on the lands. My group size decreased at 2702-2730fps with a 175gr bullet. It got larger going faster than that or as it got slower it got larger, but around 2500fps area it got smaller again.

what chrono did you use ? whats the chrono distance , and how was the weather ?

good testing , are you going to continue this type of testing ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what chrono did you use ? whats the chrono distance , and how was the weather ?

good testing , are you going to continue this type of testing ? </div></div>

I used a CED M2, but am currently pretty unhappy with it, for reasons I will cover in a separate posting in the "equipment" forum where it belongs. I burned through WAY too much of a very limited supply of test bullets to get this data, because the chronograph has issues.

I had the chrono out as far as the 20 foot cables, PLUS 6 foot extensions cables, allow. I can try to get a bit more distance by putting the chrono console on the ground just past the firing line, versus on the tabletop, but that makes the testing much harder because you lose your hold on the rifle each shot.

The weather was sunny (it cleared up 2 or 3 hours before I got to the range), with some cumulus clouds.

I LIVE for this kind of testing, theorizing, and experimentation, but I cannot AFFORD to do nearly as much as I could, because the darn bullets, powder, and cases cost so much that I have to ration the shooting. I would really appreciate if others could do some of the specific testing, and then we combine the findings into useful theories, formulas, and practices.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a few other people tell me they are unhappy with their CED's.
I mentioned the modifications to mine.
Fill us in Jim? </div></div>

I don't want to mix threads. This is a reloading thread. I will start a chronograph thread in the equipment forum.

Jim G

The thing that I wonder, reading all your data. You are going to have to factor a bunch of variables for faster burning powder and small capacities, like 17 Remington, where .2 grain increase can result in blown primers. That's if you think the solution to load density is arrived at with a calculator? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vantastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was interesting, I noticed that my barrel like a velocity rather than where it sat on the lands. My group size decreased at 2702-2730fps with a 175gr bullet. It got larger going faster than that or as it got slower it got larger, but around 2500fps area it got smaller again. </div></div>

Bullet velocity determines when it leaves the barrel. The trick is to find a velocity where the end of the barrel is not being affected by the energy traveling down it when the bullet gets there. That leads to OCW testing and often several nodes with good accuracy but different velocities of course.

Jim,
When I put your info (twist,COAL)in Q/L and using OBT for your barrel length it tells me that your 92-93gr charge weights are almost right on target.
Sully

This makes sense. After all, the powder charge should be proportional to the energy and E = 1/2 M * V^2.

When I plot out my velocities, the curve does not tend to be either linear nor does it vary by the square root of the charge. Of course, I only test the charges 5 at a time, so there should be a lot of variation in the average. I have attributed the non-curvilinear relationship to the fact that I try to operate near 100% fill. As I go to a compressed load, velocity tends to drop off a bit. All of this load testing and it looks like what I am shooting for is 100% fill... nevermind optimal barrel time and all that.

Just a thought... but it also seems like the seating depth I end up with is the seating depth I originally worked the load up for. I might have to start doing orthogonal load development where I simultaneously change bullet seating depth and charge weight. Hmmm... a new load development method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim,
When I put your info (twist,COAL)in Q/L and using OBT for your barrel length it tells me that your 92-93gr charge weights are almost right on target.
Sully
</div></div>

THAT is very encouraging to hear!! Thank-you.

Jim G

I suspect one of the factors would be obturation force.

Increased pressure on the bullet's base is distributed through the bullet's mass to the bore surface; increasing friction. At the operating pressures, the bullet becomes partially amorphous and flows more forcefully into the rifling grooves.

This suggests that increasing resistance is related to increasing chamber pressure. Each feeds on the other; hence the exponential property of the process.

Meanwhile, excess pressure will find the easiest way out. Having experienced some blown primers, I have ceased being a fan of hotter loads.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suspect one of the factors would be obturation force.

Increased pressure on the bullet's base is distributed through the bullet's mass to the bore surface; increasing friction. At the operating pressures, the bullet becomes partially amorphous and flows more forcefully into the rifling grooves.

This suggests that increasing resistance is related to increasing chamber pressure. Each feeds on the other; hence the exponential property of the process.
...</div></div>

I fully agree.

It's always interesting to do load workup and watch what a ladder test looks like on paper and how each charge increment effects (or doesn't) the vertical and it's nice to nail it when 2 or 3 load increments form a nice clump on the ladder allowing a wide load window.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I took this table and the notion from greg that some kind of energy is used to expand the case, push the bullet into the rifling,...

The monotonically decreasing quotient leads me to believe that there is some amount of powder 'consumed' in performing hte work not devoted to bullet velocity. So I wrote a quick eXcel program and found that by subtracting 57 gr from the powder, one could get an almost (almost) perfect constant quotient:

91 2694 57 0.00000468
92 2744 57 0.00000465
93 2781 57 0.00000465
94 2820 57 0.00000465
95 2849 57 0.00000468

I am NOT claiming this means anything at all, but it does take the monotonically decreasing series to a constant series within the noise level of the input data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I took this table and the notion from greg that some kind of energy is used to expand the case, push the bullet into the rifling,...

The monotonically decreasing quotient leads me to believe that there is some amount of powder 'consumed' in performing hte work not devoted to bullet velocity. So I wrote a quick eXcel program and found that by subtracting 57 gr from the powder, one could get an almost (almost) perfect constant quotient:

91 2694 57 0.00000468
92 2744 57 0.00000465
93 2781 57 0.00000465
94 2820 57 0.00000465
95 2849 57 0.00000468

I am NOT claiming this means anything at all, but it does take the monotonically decreasing series to a constant series within the noise level of the input data. </div></div>

Excellent idea! It has considerable merit too, as we know that a large percentage of the powder is "wasted" via generated heat and muzzle blast, as well as case expansion, etc. I need to play with this a bit. NICE start!

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

91 2694 57 0.00000468
92 2744 57 0.00000465
93 2781 57 0.00000465
94 2820 57 0.00000465
95 2849 57 0.00000468

I am NOT claiming this means anything at all, but it does take the monotonically decreasing series to a constant series within the noise level of the input data. </div></div>
I'm not an engineer type, but we probably loose the better part of 30% of the heat thru the barrel and out the front in muzzle blast?
30% is normal in an internal combustion engine so stands to reason that is a good place to start.

LOL miseed Jim's post!
smile.gif