• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appeals Court Upholds Huge Verdict: Woke Oberlin College Must Pay $31M to Bakery It Smeared as Racist.

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

Oberlin President Carmen Twillie Ambar
Oberlin President Carmen Twillie Ambar (Oberlin College/YouTube)
Gibsons Bakery on the Oberlin campus
Gibsons Bakery on the Oberlin campus (Dake Kang/AP)
One of the students was caught stealing wine bottles from the store, reports Cleveland.com.

While the suspects were arrested and later admitted to shoplifting, the ordeal nonetheless sparked school-sanctioned protests and allegations of racism, which hampered the store’s business.

In 2019, Lorain County Judge John Miraldi initially awarded the bakery more than $40 million in punitive and compensatory damages, but it was later reduced to $25 million. The bakery also was awarded more than $6 million for lawyers’ fees.

Three judges on the Ninth District Court of Appeals have now issued a 3-0 decision upholding Judge Miraldi’s 2019 ruling.

“At trial, it was absolutely clear to the jury (as reflected by the verdict) that there was not a shred of truth in the vicious statements about the Gibsons and that the College caused the devastating harm,” the Gibson family lawyers said after winning the case. “The truth prevailed.”

The $31 million award is reportedly the largest defamation verdict in Ohio history.

Despite the students being guilty, Oberlin College and key administrators — including the school’s vice president and dean of students — accused the bakery of racial profiling, claimed the bakery owner and other employees assaulted the students, and had a history of racism, notes the Washington Examiner.

After Judge Miraldi’s 2019 ruling, Oberlin College refused to apologize to Gibson’s Bakery to avoid offending students with “different perspectives.”

At the trial, the jury reportedly heard evidence that college officials even distributed flyers containing the false accusations, and encouraged students to boycott and protest the bakery.

Accusing people of being racist just got REAL expensive ! Couldn't happen to nicer group of assholes!

So will "Gibsons College of Ohio" be less Woke?

Good on them. They should accept the keys to the front door and then burn the place to the ground... Fire every professor and employee, revoke the degrees of everyone who went there and leave not one brick standing on another. Then sow the land with salt so nothing ever grows there again.

I hope Oberlin chokes on writing the check!

Sirhr

I've actually been to that store and the university both. Definitely not as a student but none the less it serves them right.

Yeah if you ever read the backstory on what went down, Oberlin got off light.

Nonethess their geography lessons continue to focus on Long Egyptian Rviers and insist they did nothing wrong. I'm sure they will appeal AGAIN on grounds of the sky is purple and orange man bad or some nonsense.

Reactions: Ravenworks
shame it did not have to come from the pocket of politicians or school board members directly that would have been poetic
Well Alumni (donors) and tuition (future students! its a dumbass tax!) as a private college. So this one seems kinda fitting. Now if only they had nailed it on the students there when it happened and made them pay...

Reactions: acudaowner
I'm sure they will appeal AGAIN...
Next appeal will be decided by the Supreme Court and that will be interesting given the liberals on the SC and the possibility of KBJackass's appointment to the SC. Hell, who knows, BLM may just write the check...oh yeah they're broke cause the founder has been investing in real estate for herself.

• Love
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Bet SCOTUS won't hear it...

It's a loser for them. And Oberlin was 100 percent wrong.

And even if that dumb twat that potatoe appointed is on SCOTUS, it would not matter. Because she is replacing another dumb schlong-gobbling commie. So....

Sirhr

I know I spelled potato wrong. It was on purpose.

Doesnt mean amy Conehead and Kavanaugh wont vote in Oberlins favor because.....you know......book deal.

Reactions: deersniper
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of woke, racist, fucking leftists......I only wish it was 10x that amount.

Reactions: Bender
Good.

So now can we use this as case law for any dumb shit that just throws 'youss raciss!!!' at anyone that doesn't agree with and is a different skin color then them?

Reactions: SanPatHogger