• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appleseed plug

p_pops

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2013
WI
I had the opportunity to attend a recent Project Appleseed event and I'd like to give it a plug.

The goals of Project Appleseed are simple. 1. Raise the level of understanding of the events that unfolded at the founding of our country. 2. Teach the fundamentals of marksmanship that allowed the colonists to defeat the most powerful army in the world.

In taking the class I learned more about the important aspects of my equipment. Things like sling selection (& use), fitting the rifle to me and what would work best from a scope/sight perspective. There's a lot of fancy options out there and this class boiled it down.

I learned proper body positioning to fire standing, sitting or in prone. I learned how to obtain a consistent and solid natural point of aim (NPoA), focus on my sight picture, sight alignment, breathing and trigger control.

To me, most importantly, I learned these things from making mistakes during class and having the instructors show me when one of those items I listed wasn't being done correctly. For instance, I learned that in prone I need to raise my right leg higher up under my body to limit the effects of my diaphragm on the shot. I also was able to clearly see when I had good and bad trigger control. Thru their instruction it was fairly obvious what the problem was mostly just by looking at my results on target.

By the end of class I had nearly qualified as a rifleman and had identified a variety of changes I needed to make to my equipment to enable me to be more successful. In subsequent trips to the range I've seen the improvements effects and believe I will easily qualify as a rifleman in my next Appleseed event.

Project Appleseed is a purely volunteer driven organization. The 3 instructors we had all traveled at least 50 miles to teach us, were not getting paid and even brought rifles and ammunition for class members to use who didn't have their own. So, while the class cost $80 for 2 days none of it went to the instructors and is there to cover the costs of the materials (targets, handouts, patches, etc) and operations (ex. website). It's a small price to pay for the quality of the training I believe I received.

I now believe I could take a stock rifle and hit a man sized target consistently at 400yds.

Having been involved with Appleseed for a long time, I can tell you that the quality of instruction is excellent. Just keep in mind that their goals aren't the same as most of the precision long range guys. Appleseed as you pointed out wants to hit a man sized target consistently at 500 yards with a battle rifle (semi-auto). They want you to get involved with your government. They want people to hear about, understand and have knowledge about the creation of our nation and the role that marksmanship played in the formation of the nation.

Also remember that Appleseed teaches all the positions using a USGI sling. Because of this, some of the fundamentals are different that what you will get when you attend a precision rifle course. Most of the precision rifle courses are taught using a different front support (bipod, bag etc). Because of this difference, the fundamentals mostly differ in body positioning. However, almost all the other fundamentals are the same. NPOA, shifting NPOA, breathing, steps to firing a shot (using a scope) - all of these transfer directly.

For the cost, Appleseed provides an excellent value instructing the fundamentals of shooting. I think its $80 for two days IIRC. You will learn even more if you score Rifleman and volunteer to become an IIT. Just remember that there are a LOT of additional skills that Appleseed doesn't teach, or only covers in a minor way since the max distance is 500 yards:

Ranging
Wind Reading
Using a Scope
Ballistic Calculations
to name some...

However, the time pressure of the AQT is a nice addition :)

Having been involved with Appleseed for a long time, I can tell you that the quality of instruction is excellent. Just keep in mind that their goals aren't the same as most of the precision long range guys. Appleseed as you pointed out wants to hit a man sized target consistently at 500 yards with a battle rifle (semi-auto). They want you to get involved with your government. They want people to hear about, understand and have knowledge about the creation of our nation and the role that marksmanship played in the formation of the nation.

Also remember that Appleseed teaches all the positions using a USGI sling. Because of this, some of the fundamentals are different that what you will get when you attend a precision rifle course. Most of the precision rifle courses are taught using a different front support (bipod, bag etc). Because of this difference, the fundamentals mostly differ in body positioning. However, almost all the other fundamentals are the same. NPOA, shifting NPOA, breathing, steps to firing a shot (using a scope) - all of these transfer directly.

For the cost, Appleseed provides an excellent value instructing the fundamentals of shooting. I think its $80 for two days IIRC. You will learn even more if you score Rifleman and volunteer to become an IIT. Just remember that there are a LOT of additional skills that Appleseed doesn't teach, or only covers in a minor way since the max distance is 500 yards:

Ranging
Wind Reading
Using a Scope
Ballistic Calculations
to name some...

However, the time pressure of the AQT is a nice addition :)

Totally agree wrt to the skills they don't teach. I've never had formal rifle training before so getting the basics of the fundamentals you outlined were the goal I had in taking the class. I've also seen numerous posts by others asking about the basic fundamentals and thought folks here might be interested getting formal training to help them with those basics if they've never had that kind of training before.

There were a number of very experienced people on the line the 2 days I took the class. A few were ex-Army and one was ex-USMC. All indicated they shot various types of matches from CMP to benchrest and had attended a number of the events. This somewhat surprised me at first but it made me realize just how important those basic fundamentals were to getting good results. To me, it reinforced the message I've read in post after post from Lowlight, Graham, SterlingShooter and others who continuously stress the importance of those fundamentals for precision long range shooting. Basically, get the fundamentals right or the 1000yd shot will never happen. :)

Also agree the the time pressure of the AQT is a nice addition. Controlling breathing, ensuring NPOA, trigger control, etc under pressure really changes the game a bit and I really enjoyed that aspect.