• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Book: Second Edition

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
<span style="font-size: 14pt">Announcing the second edition of <span style="font-style: italic">Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting</span>.</span>

wpfd4b8db5.png

You can read about the second edition and place your order here.

-Bryan

Re: Applied Ballistics Book: Second Edition

Awesome, I will be on that list, may have get a couple boxes of bullets from ya too.

Just got the first bryan, excellent stuff. Will likely pick up this one also.

Now it's off to the classifieds section to see what a used copy of v.1 will bring! :)

Questions:
(1) what are Monolithic Bullets?
(2) What is the caliber break-down of the new bullets? I shoot .224 and .264 and am always looking for more info on those calibers.
thanks, going to order this new edition!

James,

Monolithic bullets are bullets that are made of a single (mono) material, usually in reference to lathe turned bullets.

Here is a link to all of the bullets in the second edition. The new bullets are indicated in red.

-Bryan

I was wondering if your book has the correction factors for temp, barometric pressure, and altitude for the 50bmg 750 grain AMAX. I have some literature that contains this information for the mark 211 Raufuss round, but have been unable to find it for the AMAX.

I was planning on doing some field testing with a standard atmoshperic condition zero, and then adding in the enviornmental conditions on different temp. days and in the different locations that we shoot to see how effective this method would be. Thank you.

P.s. I plan on buying your books, I have just been trying to digest the literature that I have now before I dive in deeper, but I WILL get there!

order Number 369!!!

"Thank you for placing your order. Your order number is 367"

Cool, I look forward to reading it.

OH great, I didn't see the book for order on your site so I ordered it from a store you list on your web site, Midway, two days ago. So I get your first version. In fact, I actually bought two boxes of ammo from you (which you sent an email saying you'd shipped yesterday), had been looking for the new version of the book then.

But, that's fine. Went ahead and pre-ordered the Second Edition. I'll just be the happy owner of both the First and Second Editions!

was just looking at the first edition not long ago. seccond edition here i come #380..

Bryan what type of shipping is used to Australia. (just i can work out a rough ETA) . thanks

Shipping is ~$20 outside the US, except for Canada. Canada should be ~$12 shipping, but right now my store is giving them $6 shipping. I'm currently working on synchronizing a live shipping rate calculator so that the actual shipping rate is charged based on the address rather than the $6, $12, $20 approximations. So far the internet is winning this battle.

Guys,

I'm working on setting up a Group Buy (after I clear a few things up I'll post here and in the Group Buy forum. Payment will be in US$, and I'm considering what to do with foreign orders (shipping cost, etc).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Update: Group Buy is open here</span>!

Tnx!

The books came sooner than expected!

All pre-orders are being processed and will ship tomorrow (April 12).

All new orders will be ship within 1-2 days.

-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The books came sooner than expected!

All pre-orders are being processed and will ship tomorrow (April 12).

All new orders will be ship within 1-2 days.

-Bryan </div></div>

This is great news! Next week I'm going to be stuck down in Disney World w/ my three girls and in a tough spot needing something to do not involving princesses. I am now look forward to reviewing all the new bullets while in the Magic Kingdom!

got mine today!

I waited until the last minute and placed my order Sunday night. I received the first edition 1/28/11. It sucks to have to re-up 2 1/2 months later, but the info is worth it.

Mine arrived yesterday. Bryan, sorry for pecking at you about the shipping info, I was just concerned about it being returned. FWIW, this book is an enormous contribution at a multitude of levels. More importantly, this may well be the only "textbook" I will ever read purely by choice, and at the same time thoroughly enjoy the process. Outstanding!

just picked it up a few hours ago. i can't wait to start reading! thanks Bryan

Got mine today and tore through a good portion of it, great book, well written and easy enough for my dumb ass to understand!!!

The rifling twist rate and stability additions are a very nice touch, especially with best case, nominal and worst case.

I would say these additions alone are enough reason to spark many a future threads about barrel twist rate vs bullet choice.

I must admit I was suprised to see the value for the 155 Scenar in a 1:12". Im now keen to give the D46 Lapua a go.

Yes, I'm another guy with great things to say about v2.0. I love the new bullets and I can finally settle some heated arguements that I have had with friends over two bullets: H 75gr HPBT and the L 123gr Scenar. Bryan - thank you for finally giving us an accurate BC on those two bullets - the manufacturers did a bad job on both BC.

Just received my copy of second edition last week some very informative reading

Hey, Brian;
I really enjoyed your first edition, so I’m anxious to get a copy of the new one. One question though, I wasn’t able to load the included software onto my PDA (ipac 111) for use in the field. For some reason I couldn’t run java on my PDA which was necessary to run the software. Will the new version allow me to load the program onto a PDA, or does it still require java? Thanks.
Dan M.

Got mine the other day thanks Bryan.

Finding some quiet time to read it is a bit of a problem though.

A very good book & well worth it
cool.gif

Hats off to Bryan for an excellent book!

For those wondering, the information is laid out well and in practical lay terms instead of Sanskrit and hieroglyphics that would make your eyes roll into the back of your head and make you want to stab yourself in the eye with a pencil.

This is a valuable text. Borrow one for a weekend if your library doesn't have a copy. Better yet buy it, read it, use it, and keep it for reference. If you don't find it usable sell it here or give it to your library.

What it doesn't have as far as historical reference isn't required to explain long and extreme long-range ballistics.

The bullet data listed is invaluable so you don't have to endlessly buy samples looking for the ballistic Holy Grail. It will help you with your bullet choices.

Again, Bravo.

I am about 50 pages into the book and already have learned more, and had lingering questions answered, than months of snipershide forum and internet research.

The balance between formulae and plain English explanation is excellent, for me, an electrical engineer. The understanding this book will give you about what you are doing as a shooter and reloader yields benefits that make the book purchase price trivial in comparison.

Bryan, great accomplishment with this book. You're a valuable asset to the entire shooting community.

I am almost done with the book, and really enjoying it. Bryan's in depth knowledge and easy to understand explanations are a great balance between math and practical experience. This book has answered so many questions for me.

Bryan, I think your approach to engineering the problem of ballistics would be well followed up by a next book on interior ballistics and go through how to reload for very consistent MVs and transition to exterior ballistics.

Thanks for the excellent 2nd edition Bryan! As someone new to long range shooting, and handloading, I found the entire book excellent. It's been invaluable as I prepare to take a long range precision rifle course, Oct. 15-16. The "getting control of your sights/scope" chapter was particularly timely. Checked my Sightron scope's tracking during my last range trip and was happy to find it's adjustments to be "right on the money." The bullet characteristics table with the BC's you've developed are, by themselves, more than worth the price. Keep up the great work!

I guess I have to buy this one now, anybody want to buy my first edition..... I didn't think so, maybe somebody on ebay will pick it up.

I love posting "check out Bryan Litz book," it really is the catch all book for people learning about ballistics and long range shooting, plus you get the great BC data.

Well done Bryan

I finished the book with the exception of couple of chapters on Scoring and Hunting. I learned so much that I feel I took a comprehensive senior level college semester on the topic.

There is ONE thing however I was left unsatisfied on. Bryan talks about the raft of anecdotal data on ELR rifles that seem to have tighter groups at extended long range than they do at 100 or 200 for example. He writes that off to parallax on scopes (with no parallax adjustment). Maybe I misunderstood his point, but since most scopes used on ELR rifle platforms certainly do have parallax adjustment and are being used for that, and he would know this, then I don't understand his explanation.

I've been surprised and experienced this tightening on long range phenomenon and was hoping to understand why after reading his book. He thoroughly explained why the bullet 'going to sleep' is not the cause of this behavior. So I am left still wondering what is going on with this issue.

However, other than this one issue, it's a fantastic compendium of the whole topic of ext ballistics. I hope he works on an interior ballistics book next.

two other comments:
1) the included ballistics sw compares quite well with Lapua's QTU package, and is much simpler. I am not sure the spin drift is working though.
2) I was surprised to see his comment that for distances past the transonic range to use the 250 Scenar (for 338LM) versus the 300 Scenar, because the former has better dynamic stability. That's an interesting recommendation I am going to test out. I kept wondering why would someone want to use the 250 Scenar when the 300 was so much more windage resistant and kept its supersonic speed farther.

This is an excellent book. I read it from cover to cover and still go back to it now and then to refresh on things or get ballistic info. I let a friend borrow it who has been shooting for a long time, not thinking he would get much out of it. He said the part that shows how to use ballistic programs really helped him better understand the program he uses, and the book overall helped him clear up a few things.

Now when are you going to put out G7 info for the 123 Amax?
smile.gif