• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Applied Ballistics "ELR Central"

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    A lot of focus is being dedicated to ELR shooting, much of it in hopes of standardizing the types of competitions out there, as well as what constitutes a "World Record" but that is not all...

Part of shooting at ELR Distances is Research & Development related. How do we successfully engage targets at these extended distances. It's not a game for the faint of heart or pocket book. Still, someone has to spearhead this and Applied Ballistics is stepping up with ELR Central

This is the super early stages of development and from Bryan,

" These are our plans, our vision, but at this time no specific or firm commitments are being made. I'm open to outside feedback, "

ELR Central PDF

Mission Statement
    The ultimate objective of ELR Central is to advance the equipment and knowledge used to engage targets at extreme range.

Check it out and leave Feedback here:

ELR is always interesting stuff, a good friend of mine attended a closed meeting at this years shot show discussing the future of ELR shooting, so i guess this is what they talked about?

What distances are considered to be ELR? Or perhaps I should say, what is the minimum distance one would be shooting to be regarded as ELR shooting?

Is the Q Creek Range match coming up in June that Scott Satterlee is running going to be included as a ELR event on ELR Central? I'm attending this event, and am really looking forward to it, primarily because its being held in the beautiful state of WY, close to the Rockies.

Per the press release, 50% of the targets have to be >1500yds to be considered an "ELR event" ... so Amsdorf, I guess 1500 is distance to be considered as "ELR"...

Thanks for the interest guys.

Yes, this is a part of the on going discussions that involved the meetings at SHOT. We have a lot of guys involved across the industry.

The discussion between the group has concluded that 1500 yards is about the best definition for the start of ELR distances.

Scott's match will definitely be found on ELR central, however, it isn't a true ELR event by our guidelines. Scott's match is a great match and one that we want to promote, but we will consider true ELR matches to have at least 50% of their targets beyond 1500 yards.

I swear this morning the rules said that 50% of the targets had to be at least 1200 yds, not 1500?

It did. I suppose you didn't notice the 4th page showing the changes he made.

You are correct! I skipped over it as if it were the footnotes page, but I did notice it is the 6th page. ;)

Last edited:
    Hmm , good idea to have a central point resource for matches , info . As far as world records go , if the match is outside the USA does it count ?
    Or is this like when you call Baseball in the US a World Series ? Seems like there are a lot of categories ; cold bore shot , longest in 3 shots , 5 ?
    There are guys all over the world , and here in Aus doing this on a daily basis .

Clearlight,

Yes, we want to work with matches and events outside of the US as well. We are in communication with individuals and groups in Australia and Europe already working to establish trusted connections to facilitate these opportunities in these regions. If you know anyone who wishes to hold matches, we'd love to help support and promote them as well.

There is only one category in the criteria outlined in the document. It requires the shooter (along with spotter) to demonstrate proficiency in predicting trajectory (cold bore hit) and be repeatable. A single cold bore shot, while impressive, means little if it is just a lucky hit that can't be backed up. That is why 2 follow up hits are required.

We're currently working on gathering content for the ELR Central website.

Can everyone please reply with any known details of currently scheduled ELR matches or record setting events. If you have a match program or event webpage simply post a link, otherwise I'll need to know; who, what, when, where, COF, contact info for match coordinators, etc. This is the initial content gathering effort for the ELRC website. ALSO, any ELR events which have taken place in 2016, we'll add them too. ELRC will promote upcoming events, as well as archive past events including match results, pictures, any write-ups that resulted, etc. We'll go back one year so anything that happened in 2016 we'll try to cover.

Thank you,
    -Bryan

Glad to see something like this move forward, hopefully we will start seeing other well organized major events pop up aside from ko2m.

Last edited:
    Thanks Mitch for clarification . I'll certainly pass on any info I can down the track ; thanks to AB for coordinating this endeavour .