• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Applied Ballistics for Android

29aholic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southwest MO
It has been a while since I have been here, so I am sure it has been discussed. I just can't find it.
Anyone have a link or a quick and dirty to use this app? I downloaded it and it seems like it takes forever to set it up for each gun and load.
My main questions are:
Can I clone a rifle, but use different loads? In other words, I have three different loads I use for the same rifle but I don't want to have input my rifle/scope specs all over again.
Should I be using G1 or G7 data?
I am sure there is more and will update post as I think about it.

I am just a tinkerer, not a serious competitor. I do however have access to places to shoot where I can stretch the legs of my rifles.

My main rifle is a 700 Remington, trued action, Schneider barrel 1-11.5 twist, .3077 bore 308 caliber.
Scope is a MK4 Leupold 6.5-20 TSMOA reticle.

TYIA

I know in the ios version you can have multiple ammo profiles for a gun so I can’t imagine the android version would be different. As far as g1 v g7, just pick one and stick with it.

You can have multiple ammo profiles per rifle in AB android.
After you select the rifle and it goes to the Ammunition Library screen click the + symbol in the top right to add a new profile.

ETA:
If you do a long press on a ammo profile you get another menu with:
Edit
Delete
Duplicate
Duplicate to Firearm

Reactions: Keith E.
Anyone compare Strelok with AB? Strelok has been awesome.
I have and use them both. Strelok has a better interface and is easier to use for me. Out of curiosity I ran them both side by side out to 1000 with a 6 Creedmoor the other day, and they were giving me the same solution. The bullet and reticle selection is better in strelok, but both have the ability to manually enter bullet specifics. I have a suspicion (but no data) that AB is going to do better at extended long ranges, haven't tested it yet though.

Reactions: Mike Islander
If you're shooting modern rifle projectiles you'll get better results using G7. If you try to use G1 you'll find that you want to change the MV and/or BC at different distances (actually velocity as it decays) because it won't line up very well all the way out to distance depending on how far you shoot.

For the best results, choose the CDM or Custom Drag Model option. It's actual drag data at different mach numbers for that particular projectile so you won't be trying to shoehorn your actual bullet into a scaled reference bullet design to get your solution. The solver will just look up the right answer. Using CDMs I've been within a single click (mrad) of elevation at 3400+ yards and made first round impacts at 3200 yards. There is really no reason to use a BC anymore. If you're using a solver that has actual drag data measured by radar why not use it.

Reactions: 29aholic
It has been a while since I have been here, so I am sure it has been discussed. I just can't find it.
Anyone have a link or a quick and dirty to use this app? I downloaded it and it seems like it takes forever to set it up for each gun and load.
There's a manual for the ap on the AB website.

Can I clone a rifle, but use different loads?
Yes, I have multiple rifles some with multiple loads profile set up. One profile for the rifle, one sub-profile for each load.
When you are shooting flat base bullets, use G1. When you are shooting bullets with a boattail, use G7.

Reactions: 29aholic