• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Mobile App

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Introducing the Applied Ballistics (AB) Mobile app.

image049.png

This state of the art ballistics program is currently available for android devices (it will be developed for iPhone/iPod in the future).

The AB Mobile app:
Accounts for all major and minor trajectory variables
Pulls in weather data and latitude from GPS or blue-tooth link with Kestrels.
Has a library of (Litz) measured G1 and G7 BC's
Features custom drag curves for specific bullets as in-app purchases ($1.99)
Displays single shot solution in HUD view or Reticle view
Displays multi-shot solution in Reticle view, table, and graph
Offers Ballistic Calibration, so you can enter your observed drop at range and the program will calibrate; muzzle velocity, projectile drag (BC), and drop scaling over various segments of the trajectory.
Web-sync feature which allows you to store your rifle/ammo libraries online for quick retrieval.

For those familiar with the Shooter app for android and iOS, the AB Mobile app is basically an extended/advanced version of Shooter. AB Mobile was programmed by the same developer, and uses the same solver, but has a number of additional features that extend capabilities and interfacing beyond any ballistics app currently on the market.

You can view the user manual here

The app is available for purchase in the Google Market

Here are some screenshots of the AB Mobile app:

image058.jpg

image074.jpg

HUD.png

Calibration.png

Please post any questions, comments, requests, etc to this thread.

-Bryan

Re: Applied Ballistics Mobile App

Is the only thing new the retical features? Can you tell me the last time the library on the Shooter app was updated?

Reticle output view, ballistic calibration, and custom drag curves are the primary additions. The AB Mobile library is the most current, but Shooter may have the same one.

Sounds interesting...but the price tag is scaring me off. Shooter was ~8€, this would cost ~24€...is AB three times better than Shooter? It looks just like an upgraded Shooter, with some nice features. But 24€/$30 is not considered cheap, eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryce6750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$30 ouch </div></div>

I hope that's a joke. I just picked up 500 rnds of Applied Ballistics 175s at about $40 per box of 20. Absolutely worth every penny. The value of a ballistic app like this with the features shown and the G7 BC data for various projectiles is enough that I'm going to finally leave the Stone Age with my ancient LG Chocolate phone and go upgrade to a smart phone capable of running it today. Seriously, we're talking the cost of one or maybe two boxes of ammo here (depending on what you shoot, of course).

Bryan, being completely ignorant of current smart phone technology, will this app run on most currently available types? Or are there specific ones I should be looking for? The reason I ask is that my service is through Verizon, so I may be limited to their selections unless I were to change carriers.

Edit: I guess I might try reading the original post more carefully...duh. Android app is available now, Iphone down the road a bit.

Shooter has been working great for me but I like some of the features that Applied Ballistics (AB) Mobile app has. Is this new app going to replace Shooter or will Shooter continue to be supported?

How long till the iPhone/iPod version of Applied Ballistics (AB) Mobile app is released?

How long till the iPhone/iPod version of Applied Ballistics (AB) Mobile app is released?

x2 on this

Shooter will continue to be supported.

Honestly it will be quite a while before the iPhone version of AB Mobile will be available. We're planning to develop an AB website that has all the capability of the mobile app and syncs together. The webpage is the next priority, then the iPhone version.

-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryce6750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$30 ouch </div></div>

I hope that's a joke. I just picked up 500 rnds of Applied Ballistics 175s at about $40 per box of 20. Absolutely worth every penny. The value of a ballistic app like this with the features shown and the G7 BC data for various projectiles is enough that I'm going to finally leave the Stone Age with my ancient LG Chocolate phone and go upgrade to a smart phone capable of running it today. Seriously, we're talking the cost of one or maybe two boxes of ammo here (depending on what you shoot, of course).

Bryan, being completely ignorant of current smart phone technology, will this app run on most currently available types? Or are there specific ones I should be looking for? The reason I ask is that my service is through Verizon, so I may be limited to their selections unless I were to change carriers.

Edit: I guess I might try reading the original post more carefully...duh. Android app is available now, Iphone down the road a bit. </div></div>

If you are with Verizon, Look at the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, one of the top smart phones, and should run anything you put on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bryan, being completely ignorant of current smart phone technology, will this app run on most currently available types? Or are there specific ones I should be looking for? The reason I ask is that my service is through Verizon, so I may be limited to their selections unless I were to change carriers.</div></div>

The requirement is android 2.2 or higher, and any new phone you get will meet this requirement.

Please don't hesitate (anyone) to ask questions like this. Mobile app markets are relatively new, and many folks are getting smart phones and learning. So the more Q&A we get in the open the better for everyone.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan and Jeeper. Now I feel a little better armed in the info dept. to confront those pesky Verizon Wireless sales staffers with some questions.

As an aside, I've managed for quite some time to avoid upgrading to one of these phones because, frankly, I have a couple of new laptops already. Last time I was in the VW store in La Jolla, an ~18ish salesperson calmly informed me that as long as "baby boomers" were still around, there would always be just regular cell phones for sale (LOL). Little prick. I may be old, but not that old. I find it amusing that the final impetus to get me to upgrade to a smart phone would be an app to help me shoot stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you get other reticles? </div></div>

It's got the one I like.
grin.gif

Pretty cool.

2lb16x2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you get other reticles? </div></div>

Picked this up today. I found several NF reticles within the app (NPR-1,NPR-2 etc) but no way to download additional reticles. The NPR-2 works for one of my scopes but I need DMR, S&B reticles as well.

Bryan can you help us out? Am I missing something or are the other reticle downloads not yet available?

G,
using ballistics programs was also what got me on smartphones also, not that long ago
smile.gif

Reticles: soon there will be the option to 'in-app-purchase' many different types of reticles. I don't know how long till that's operational, but it's on the list of planned additions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter will continue to be supported.

Honestly it will be quite a while before the iPhone version of AB Mobile will be available. We're planning to develop an AB website that has all the capability of the mobile app and syncs together. The webpage is the next priority, then the iPhone version.

-Bryan</div></div>

This idea i like. A statistic website to sync all info together or give the ability to print out results. That is definitely something to consider over ballistic.

It's nice to see this program getting a refresh with additional support from Bryan.

A while back, I proposed an upgraded HUD that would allow more instant capability with an improved layout. I'll cut and paste here to hopefully spur thoughts on improving the usefulness of the HUD.

<<<<<<Paste<<<
So all this new feature discussion got me thinking and so I have another feature suggestion for you.

On the solutions screen, I sort of look at it as a quick-use heads up display. It's great for quickly changing a few variables and have the result instantly display while in the field.

One option that I'd like to have is to dispense with the "clicks", "moa", and "iphy" data if I select "mils" as my primary and use that extra screen real estate to have the lead controls also resident on the screen.

Next I would include the "look angle" as another option here with buttons on the screen allowing instant up/down selection in degrees.

Lastly, I would have an output option that includes left/right adjustment in "mils" (or whatever the preferred angular measurement is) for both the wind and lead variables so that the combination (be it additive or subtractive) is instantly displayed.

This might improve the instant comprehensiveness of the HUD for elevation, wind, lead, and look functions. Perhaps it could be configured as "standard" or "advanced" HUD screen in the preferences menu.

For layout, the distance, wind speed, and wind angle stay in the top. The second row would be look angle, lead speed, and lead angle. The third row would be the data output with elevation, wind, lead, and wind+lead. The bottom row would be as you have it with velocity, energy, and time.

Or course, this is my $.02. I've become an addict to this screen for use in competition and love the idea of simple clicks versus hitting menu and only adjusting singular variables at any given time. Sometimes the field is just too dynamic for that!

Also, the idea of having the input values clickable to where a large input window would display (with the rotating number wheels that are used in so many other programs) might help with input usability and not have to tap to get to the right spot in the data entry before adjusting the variable.

I've always thought you could improve the numerical input in this program and would love to see that enhancement as well.

With these two upgrades, $30 would be a steal!

Looks fantastic! I'll get it over the Ballistic FTE app that I'm currently using for the truing option…once the iOS version is released
smile.gif
Any ETA on that?

—Andreas

I really like Shooter for my IPHONE and will buy AB for Iphone even at 30 that's a fair price.
But I believe marketing to the IPhone first not after the cheaper phones makes sense. People who own iPhones appreciate quality and will pay without hesitation, cheap phone buyers are sometimes the guys who won't drop 30 on an app. Just my humble opinion. iPhone simply blows the rest away its not even debatable. People who don't have one think they saved money buying cheaper I respectfully speak as one of those cheap phone owners way back.

Ha! "People who own iPhones ...." That's a good one. My side!

Bryan,

When will the custom curve for transonic be available for the 175 OTM?

I have my 30 bucks ready when it comes out for the iPhone.

Bryan ,will you release a version for window mobile -I have a nomad and will buy your app if you do release one

I don't know how the Android (Google Play) market works but if it's like the iOS or Windows Phone stores, then $30 is fair if you consider that the developer is basically promising in perpetuity to let you roam your data. The developer has to pay for that storage and sending the data back and forth.

Personally, I'd prefer a lower price for the stand-alone app and a subscription model for storing data remotely. It gets around locking the developer into paying forever for storing the data after your one-time purchase. However, if for iOS, Apple takes a 30% cut and goes out of their way to make sure you can't advertise or link to an external purchasing option.

$30 on the program, now I have to buy other reticles? Seriously?

Drag data for Lapua bullets available from Lapua Site for free
http://www.lapua.com/upload/ballistics/qtulapuaeditiondragtables.zip

But no options for use free drag data!

I buy and tested lapua 300 gr bullet drag curve (880 m/s mv).
Lapua radar data and Litz drag curve very different
Difference 1400 meters – 0.5 mil!

I hope in near future you will add import free Lapua radar data!!

Excuse me for my English.

Bryan

I shoot in the desert with my 7WSM, 7 Dakota, and 338 LM Improved. I've driven them all to 1,800 yards, and the 338LM Improved out to 1,950 yards so far, so accurate performance predictions at and beyond 1,800 yards is critical. All in all it means the pills are rapidly approaching if not already into subsonic transition.

I was wondering how the drag curves were generated, and at what distances.

Jeffvn

mattmcg,
Thank you for posting your suggestions. We've considered alterations to the HUD similar to what you're suggesting, and may do something like that in the future.

Twogun,
If you're talking about the Berger 175 OTM, there's already a custom curve available for it.

Current priorities are:
1) support AB Mobile
2) develop companion website
3) iOS development

I can't even guess when 2 & 3 will be finished, but I can say you won't see an iOS version until the website is complete. We do know the iOS version is very important and it will be available, just don't know when.

There are currently no plans to develop the program for windows mobile.

A growing library of Reticles will be available for <span style="text-decoration: underline">free</span> as they're developed.

We are taking requests for reticles, and custom drag curves for bullets. Please email: [email protected] with suggestions for reticles and bullets.

Thank you all for your feedback. Your thoughts and suggestions allow us to optimize the interface and feature set and the app market enables us to quickly and easily push out updates.

Take care,
-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my 30 bucks ready when it comes out for the iPhone. </div></div> +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EXTREMEPREJUDICE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my 30 bucks ready when it comes out for the iPhone. </div></div> +1</div></div>

i'll certainly check it out once on iphone

Thanks, Bryan. I got it. There was a delay between sending my email through the app and having the custom curves show up for purchase.

I do like the integrated bluetooth interface better than Shooter. I do still have problems with the communication though. I'm suspecting it's probably Kestrel's problem. There is a bit of a delay required before the units start communicating. And I have better luck unpairing from the Kestrel after I shut the bluetooth off at the phone and then re-pairing once I've turned the bluetooth on. There's definitely a sequence it prefers. It doesn't want to hold the pair. It didn't hold the pair on Shooter either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dzhafarkhan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drag data for Lapua bullets available from Lapua Site for free

Excuse me for my English. </div></div>

Interesting....

Are the drag data in Applied Ballistics App measured with doppler radar as the Lapua's drag data are??

How come a 0.5 mil difference at 1400 meters
shocked.gif
. That is a significant, i.e. hit or miss, difference.

Is each downloaded bullet 1.99$?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dzhafarkhan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drag data for Lapua bullets available from Lapua Site for free

Excuse me for my English. </div></div>

Interesting....

Are the drag data in Applied Ballistics App measured with doppler radar as the Lapua's drag data are??

How come a 0.5 mil difference at 1400 meters
shocked.gif
. That is a significant, i.e. hit or miss, difference.

Is each downloaded bullet 1.99$? </div></div>

I will not be discussing how the custom curves are measured. If you find the prediction does not match your observed drop data perfectly, the ballistic calibration will bring it right in for your system.

Yes, each custom curve is $1.99.

-Bryan

Got the app set it up and got the custom curves for the 175 Berger OTM and the Lapua 155 Scenar. I am headed out to TVP this weekend to see how it plays.

One thing of note on the Ballistic Calibration, getting dope on the ranges specified is not always possible with a 308. The first one maybe, but not the 2nd and third ones. I also noted the parameters are different for different bullets. Do we have to stay in the parameters, or can we just put in known dope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like Shooter for my IPHONE and will buy AB for Iphone even at 30 that's a fair price.
But I believe marketing to the IPhone first not after the cheaper phones makes sense. People who own iPhones appreciate quality and will pay without hesitation, cheap phone buyers are sometimes the guys who won't drop 30 on an app. Just my humble opinion. iPhone simply blows the rest away its not even debatable. People who don't have one think they saved money buying cheaper I respectfully speak as one of those cheap phone owners way back. </div></div>

So now all phones but IPhones are cheap? Last two IPhones I have had sucked and the glass is not what is not what it was (I have had every model). Might want to do some looking around. They now have "cheap phones" that if they get wet in the field they don't shortout.

Please excuse the ignorance here, but I don't have a smartphone, and don't plan on getting one soon. What would be the cheapest device I could buy to run this new ballistics program? Any help would be appreciated.

Anything with Andriod 2.2 or higher and Wifi (you'll need an internet connection and verify that Andriod Marketplace is available thru Wifi which I believe it is now). Here's a list of possibilities.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/iPads-Tablets-eB...52DFi&rt=nc

Used and refurb stuff is even cheaper. You don't need a phone to run it although any phone with Android and wifi will run it regardless if you have phone service.

I can recommend the Motorola Defy, it's a "rugged" phone and I really like it. Mine runs a custom operating system. Default would be Android 2.3 "Froyo", I run Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" smoothly.

It has great internal storage and up to 32 GB external, 512MB RAM and now runs up to 1000Mhz (800Mhz default).

The Defy+ is not much different, heard it is more difficult to get root access to alter more system settings and stuff. But You won't need any of that for running AB or Shooter.

They are quite cheap and tough. Don't count on the IP67 standard, but it is more than most high-end smartphones and way better than any iPhone that breaks by looking at it in the field.

Defys on eBay go for 240$ as far as I can tell from over the pond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like Shooter for my IPHONE and will buy AB for Iphone even at 30 that's a fair price.
But I believe marketing to the IPhone first not after the cheaper phones makes sense. People who own iPhones appreciate quality and will pay without hesitation, cheap phone buyers are sometimes the guys who won't drop 30 on an app. Just my humble opinion. iPhone simply blows the rest away its not even debatable. People who don't have one think they saved money buying cheaper I respectfully speak as one of those cheap phone owners way back. </div></div>

laughter.gif

Thanks for the laugh. Good way to start my morning...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skigolfmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the app set it up and got the custom curves for the 175 Berger OTM and the Lapua 155 Scenar. I am headed out to TVP this weekend to see how it plays.

One thing of note on the Ballistic Calibration, getting dope on the ranges specified is not always possible with a 308. The first one maybe, but not the 2nd and third ones. I also noted the parameters are different for different bullets. Do we have to stay in the parameters, or can we just put in known dope? </div></div>

skigolfmike,
The ranges specified for ballistic calibration are optimal in terms of the bullets Mach number. The first calibration point will always be high transonic/low supersonic, the second will be on the other side of transonic. So the ranges that correspond to these points will be different for each bullet/velocity combination, and will always optimize the calibration. For now the calibration must happen within those ranges in order to prevent un-knowing users from trying to calibrate at 200 yards or something. If the policy proves to be too limiting, we may change it to allow calibration at any range, but still advise the ranges for best practice. It would suck to only be able to get a target to 1450 yards, and the app not let you calibrate before 1460.

-Bryan

Tablet newbie here;

Can I assume this software will work on a Kindle? Apparently it runs a modified version of Android's 2.3 Gingerbread OS.

I'd bet it doesn't. Amazon turned off quite a few interfaces in Android for the Kindle. There is a refund button after install for a very short period of time in AB. Might be worth a try.

Thank you for the hard work on a awsome app! I gladly paid the 30$

I was wondering, how important, if at all, it is when using the ballistic trueing function, that all the drop data be collected under the same atmospheric conditions. For example not take data for one range early in the AM, then take data for the second and third range as the day warms. Would this negatively affect my data? Or would it be beneficial to set 3 targets, each at the specified intervals and gather all the data as quickly as possible?