• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Mobile now available for iPhone

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
The app which has been available on android for 2+ years is now available for iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/applied-ballistics/id785619104?ls=1&mt=8

Thank you for your patience as we've been working on this for a very long time. As with any new software development, there may be bugs to work out so please reply to this thread if you see anything strange or misbehaving in the app.

Cedar Springs, MI – July 11, 2014 - Applied Ballistics is excited to announce the official release of the highly-anticipated iOS version of their mobile app, “Applied Ballistics Mobile”; allowing Apple iPhone and tablet owners to download and take advantage of the ballistic computing software that has become popular on the Android platform.

The Applied Ballistics Mobile App runs a Point Mass ballistic solver; the state of the art ballistic solver calculates long-range rifle trajectories, and along with the library of ballistic coefficients provided by Bryan Litz, makes this the most accurate and complete ballistics app available.

The program integrates the equations of ballistic motion numerically, using a 4th-order Runge-Kutta method ; the standard way of solving dynamic equations of motion in aircraft and missile simulations. Former missile design engineer, ballistician and President of Applied Ballistics, LLC, Bryan Litz wrote this solver, which is common among many of the Applied Ballistics devices – providing the same accuracy you expect.

The application also comes with G1 and G7 BC’s for over 1,300 bullets- allowing users to easily select their bullet and have its data loaded into each individual ammo profile automatically.

“Applied Ballistics is thrilled to announce the release of this highly-sought iOS version of the Applied Ballistics mobile app,” stated Litz. “We have worked extensively on this product with intense development to ensure we continue to offer our loyal customers with a solution to their ballistics computing. With the success of the Android version of the application – which was launched 2 years ago, the demand for the iOS version has been high, and we are excited to now offer a version that is compatible with iPhone as well.”

The new mobile app accounts for all major and minor trajectory variables that a shooter could encounter. The app displays single shot solutions in HUD view or Reticle view, as well as multi-shot solutions in Reticle view, table and graph.

Shooters can enter their observed drop-at range and the program will calibrate; incorporating muzzle velocity and drop-scaling over various segments of the trajectory to ‘true’ the predictions based on actual bullet impact.

A web-sync feature allows you to store your rifle and ammunition libraries online for quick retrieval, as users are able to backup all the profiles online or restore them to a device.

Available now through iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/applied-ballistics/id785619104?ls=1&mt=8, the Applied Ballistics Mobile App costs $29.99, and requires iOS 7.0 or later for proper functionality. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices, this app is optimized for iPhone 5.

About Applied Ballistics, LLC
Applied Ballistics’ mission is to be the complete and unbiased source of external ballistics information for long- range shooters. We’re highly active in R&D, constantly testing new claims, products and ideas for potential merit and dispensing with the marketing hype, which can make it so difficult for shooters to master the challenging discipline of long range shooting. We believe in the scientific method and promote mastery through understanding of the fundamentals. Our work is passed on to the shooting community in the form of instructional materials, which are easy to understand, and products such as ballistic software which runs on many platforms. If you’re a long range shooter who’s eager to learn about the science ofyour craft, we’re here for you.
###

I may have identified a problem. I picked 175 SMK from the bullet library and it says it's using G7, but I only see G1 numbers displayed below it. I'm new to AP so I might be missing something.

is there a tutorial.
I don't see where to enter muzzle velocity

The instruction manual is here:
http://appliedballisticsllc.com/AB_app.htm

You'll see screenshots from the android version, but the functionality/flow is the same for iPhone.

HumbleEinstein,
If you select G7 for the drag model, use a BC of .243 for that bullet. It can be entered manually, but should auto populate if you select it from the BC library.

-Bryan

My mistake. I was picking the G1 profile instead of the "Litz" version.

Does the app capture environmental factors like weather and direction of fire or does all that have to be inputted manually?

Thanks. One of the best phone app programs out there and I was sad to see you did not have it for I phone when I ditched the Droid. Problem solved.

I just loaded it today, only put one round in, but it seems to work good. Data matches what the rifle shoots (My M1903A4) at 300 & 600 yards. It was relatively easy to use. And believe me if I can figure it out anyone can.

I will preface this by saying that Applied Ballistics and Litz are of tremendous value to the industry. However, the app is a lot plainer than I expected. Frankly, for $30 I was expecting a ton more features. It does the same as cheaper apps and less than another app at the same price. Also, all the other apps already have Litz's G7 data in them. The app even provides less data output than my Kestrel with AB and that only has a few lines on a pixilated screen to work with. I hate to say it but I would rather have my $30 and work with the best of the apps I already have. Given Litz's emphasis on data, I would like to see more emphasis in that area in future updates of the app.

Last edited:
Glad to see its finally available on ios, But why is it rated 17+? Frequent intense violence is the claim in the description.

I can't seem to get it to auto populate atmosphere info...

Also, any chance of getting US Optics PCMOA and MOA Type 1 put into the app...

Does everything for generating profiles for different rifles need to be entered into the I-phone, or is it possible to generate and maintain the profiles on a PC and then download them to the phone with I-Tunes?

Is it possible in metric mode in HUD change windage with step 0.5 m/s like in Shooter? I am asking this because on android only whole numbers possible.

I will preface this by saying that Applied Ballistics and Litz are of tremendous value to the industry. However, the app is a lot plainer than I expected. Frankly, for $30 I was expecting a ton more features. It does the same as cheaper apps and less than another app at the same price. Also, all the other apps already have Litz's G7 data in them. The app even provides less data output than my Kestrel with AB and that only has a few lines on a pixilated screen to work with. I hate to say it but I would rather have my $30 and work with the best of the apps I already have. Given Litz's emphasis on data, I would like to see more emphasis in that area in future updates of the app.

Can you elaborate on what specific features you would like to see in a ballistics app? AB Mobile has many features useful for trajectory prediction, it's possible some of the things that you're looking for are there but you haven't come across them yet.

-Bryan

I can't seem to get it to auto populate atmosphere info...

Also, any chance of getting US Optics PCMOA and MOA Type 1 put into the app...

You have to enable the option in 'preferences' where it says the app can use your location. Of course your device needs to have GPS capability.

We'll add your reticle to the list of requests, which we develop from and update the app periodically.

Thanks for your feedback,
-Bryan

Does everything for generating profiles for different rifles need to be entered into the I-phone, or is it possible to generate and maintain the profiles on a PC and then download them to the phone with I-Tunes?

There is no computer interface for the websync, it functions like a cloud in the sense that you sync up to save, or sync down to recover. The intent is not a separate development space, but rather a back up for your data so you don't loose profiles when you lose or break a phone.

-Bryan

I noticed the G7 was showing G1 values, I went in and changed it to G1 unless it shows both and I just missed it.

It's default to G7 for the model, but below that is the Stepped BCs for G1, which works for me. Not sure if the system defaults to the G7 anyway as I didn't try running the solutions that way. Or if it's a glitch

it was weird the first time opening up to have a blank screen, maybe some light gray text to say "Add Rifles & Bullets Above" so people know to click on the +

I'll send this to the developers; it should be an easy day to add 0.5 as a selection.

-Bryan
Thanks Bryan, it would be cool.
One meter per second is a little bit big step. 1 km/h or 1 mile/h is ok, but we are trained in m/s. Usually shortly before start I am measuring High/Low windage to decide base correction.
So smaller step would be sweet.

Can you elaborate on what specific features you would like to see in a ballistics app? AB Mobile has many features useful for trajectory prediction, it's possible some of the things that you're looking for are there but you haven't come across them yet.

-Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your response. It is certainly possible that I missed some features. If so, I do apologize and I will retract my above statements.

With regard to features, I would like a lot more data output. As much data as possible. For instance, markers for supersonic, subsonic, and transonic should be everywhere you can fit them. I would like to be able to graph comparisons between different profiles and bullets with complete control over the inputs for each. Also, I would like some kind if spin dial, so everything doesn't have to be typed in manually, although I do like that you can do that also. I would like control over how fine the number outputs should be. Features to measure group sizes are a real plus.

These some items that struck me right away. With more time I can provide more.

I think it should already capture weather and direction of fire but I haven't been able to get it do it yet.

Applied Ballistics Mobile now available for iPhone

I have the Automatic Atmosphere enabled as well as the Location Services on my phone for AB Mobile...

It always reads 59* and 0 Density Altitude unless I manually change it... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405189710.528325.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405189727.778111.jpg

And it still doesn't auto populate any atmospheric information...

I noticed the G7 was showing G1 values, I went in and changed it to G1 unless it shows both and I just missed it.

It's default to G7 for the model, but below that is the Stepped BCs for G1, which works for me. Not sure if the system defaults to the G7 anyway as I didn't try running the solutions that way. Or if it's a glitch

it was weird the first time opening up to have a blank screen, maybe some light gray text to say "Add Rifles & Bullets Above" so people know to click on the +

Your observation with the G7 default is a legitimate bug that's being addressed.

Good idea for text on the blank screen.

I have the Automatic Atmosphere enabled as well as the Location Services on my phone for AB Mobile...

It always reads 59* and 0 Density Altitude unless I manually change it...View attachment 42886
View attachment 42887

And it still doesn't auto populate any atmospheric information...

I'll pass this along. On my iPod, this feature works fine. Try enabling the 'save last environment' switch, at least that way it will keep the environment you entered.

In the mean time, I'd like to ask others to comment on this feature; if it works for you or not, and what device you're running.

-Bryan

Ok... I have had that feature enabled and it does maintain the previous setting...

Just as another cosmetic note maybe... The preferences that do not have the "selector switch" could maybe show which option you have selected after you have selected it...

Is there a method to print out the ballistic profiles for different loads and rifles? Either by saving them as an image to send to a computer or some other method?

I'll pass this along. On my iPod, this feature works fine. Try enabling the 'save last environment' switch, at least that way it will keep the environment you entered.

In the mean time, I'd like to ask others to comment on this feature; if it works for you or not, and what device you're running.

-Bryan

Bryan , I'm having the exact same problem with the gps acquired weather in da. I've played and played and I can't even find the button to acquire the environmental data.

Bryan,

Do the requested "Range 2" and "Range 3" distances look right to you for the ballistic calibration feature? They look far out to me for a .308 175 SMK. Thanks.

-Bryan

I have the same issue. It will not upload my weather data with everything turned on.

Ya, my weather switch is missing too,

I think it might be an install issue, like it needs to be reinstalled. But on my iPhone 5 it's not in the location services or at the bottom like some of the others are.

Bryan
I know the description states that this app is optimized for an iPhone 5.
Will there be any issues if using an iPhone 4 that has the latest iOS 7.1.2. update?

Thank you
-Dan

Bryan,

Do the requested "Range 2" and "Range 3" distances look right to you for the ballistic calibration feature? They look far out to me for a .308 175 SMK. Thanks.

Those are the recommended ranges for optimal ballistic calibration based on where the bullet is in the Mach spectrum for best results. If you can't get within those ranges, it will still calibrate, but you want as much distance between points as possible. IF you do a good calibration at 800 yards (for example), you should be good for many 100's of yards beyond that. But you *can* input ranges wherever you want and it will calculate.

We're looking in to the weather auto update as to requirements, settings, etc. It works on my iPod so I can't troubleshoot. I'm thinking that in addition to gps (which just provides location) you may need to have some kind of data signal as well so the phone can know the weather at that location.

Will get back to you guys with an answer soon.

-Bryan

Just downloaded the app. Great job

A few things, being in Aus I primary use the metric system. I think wind should prob be in kilometres/hour instead of metres/second. And it would make my life complete if I could have everything metric but maintain the imperial fps in the velocity.

I also seem to be having trouble with the reticle, viper pst ebr-1 1fp always comes up moa.

Note the temp here. Every time I hit done it changes randomly. This is in the bullet edit page.
Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 23
I noticed someone mentioned a notification for when its subsonic. I know in the Android Version that I run when the round goes subsonic the color changes for the range. It turns to red once its sub sonic, and orange to let you know its in the transitioning phase.

Thanks for looking into the weather station events.
To compare notes : Other Ballistic applications are able to pull weather stations in our area.

Bryan - Is there a location you want us to post our feature request and/or events identified with the application?

Items to review:
Send email feature. Creates CSV file. All information is rounded to 1 character. Example : 1 versus 1.5 Mil
Weather station - not loading automatically - Enter manually from kestrel works ok.

Question - When comparing output for 1000 yards between this application and shooter the Mil holds, Velocity, Energy are different. 80 - 100 fps between calculations. Is this to be expected?

Features -
Kestrel Blue tooth for iPhone - Is there anyone working on this project?
Burris XTRII - reticle addition?

Thanks in advance

Great Application

Thanks for looking into the weather station events.
To compare notes : Other Ballistic applications are able to pull weather stations in our area.

Bryan - Is there a location you want us to post our feature request and/or events identified with the application?

Items to review:
Send email feature. Creates CSV file. All information is rounded to 1 character. Example : 1 versus 1.5 Mil
Weather station - not loading automatically - Enter manually from kestrel works ok.

Question - When comparing output for 1000 yards between this application and shooter the Mil holds, Velocity, Energy are different. 80 - 100 fps between calculations. Is this to be expected?

Features -
Kestrel Blue tooth for iPhone - Is there anyone working on this project?
Burris XTRII - reticle addition?

Thanks in advance

Great Application

*I have the same problem….atmospherics won't auto populate.
*I too would like the color to change or some notation when the bullet reaches transonic and subsonic speeds
*When comparing same input data and atmospherics between Ballistic AE, Shooter, this new app, the outputs are drastically different (As in 4-5 MOA at 1000 yds. Is this possible? (I understand your answer could be, "Shoot it and see.")
***And thanks for finally giving us iPhone'rs the "goods"!

It seems I will never understand usefulness of automatic atmospherics. Kestrel is only exact way to know what meteo numbers are "right now and right here".
Simply compare what is populated and what is in reality from kestrel.

Kestrel hardware should be certified from Apple. Any other possible workaround is from jailbreak series. Not serious way.
If we see all almost hundred gadgets capable to "speak" with iPhone through BT, there is rising question whats wrong with kestrel?
What is so special with pulse metering devices or BT handsfree systems for example? Money for patent?

*I have the same problem….atmospherics won't auto populate.
*I too would like the color to change or some notation when the bullet reaches transonic and subsonic speeds
*When comparing same input data and atmospherics between Ballistic AE, Shooter, this new app, the outputs are drastically different (As in 4-5 MOA at 1000 yds. Is this possible? (I understand your answer could be, "Shoot it and see.")
***And thanks for finally giving us iPhone'rs the "goods"!

I am also having issues with outputs. At 500 yards AB has me at .7 mils lower than actual POI. Both Shooter and Ballistic AE have me at 3.2 versus 2.5 for AB. I have confirmed actual data on target. I have also triple checked all my inputs. It is off 290 fps. I am using a Ohler 35p for a chronograph.

Last edited:
Kestrel hardware should be certified from Apple. Any other possible workaround is from jailbreak series. Not serious way.
If we see all almost hundred gadgets capable to "speak" with iPhone through BT, there is rising question whats wrong with kestrel?
What is so special with pulse metering devices or BT handsfree systems for example? Money for patent?

Nick touched on this before, here is the answer to your question:

"Hey guys, I figured I'd hop in here.

I'm not an NK employee, so I can't speak on behalf of NK, but since I do the software on the AB Kestrel, I can give you a bit of the scoop here. LastShot300 actually nailed it in terms of what the issue is...

iOS supports various Bluetooth profiles but does not include standard serial comms over Bluetooth. Here's a link to the support Bluetooth profiles page: iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles

In order to communicate with iOS, you need to conform to one of those protocols. For example, iOS easily supports integrating to your wireless speakers or your car for implementation of play/stop/ff/rewind. There's little support for the full up messaging structure that the Kestrels use to communicate with the PC or the Android platforms.

Android on the other hand, you can read/write anything you want. In case you wanted to look at it, go here: BluetoothSocket | Android Developers. It just acts like an open socket to read/write data to.

The other thing about BT on iOS is that you need to have hardware implemented that supports the iOS authentication protocols. There's a special co-processor or authentication chip that is needed to work with iOS and set up for MFi as working with Apple devices.

Now, that's all talking about BT legacy. BT 4.0 works a bit differently. If you google how it works, it uses similar profiles that establish your data types and then you give a description of such data to your app and to your embedded device and it pushes that data that the phone then picks up.

As you can see, BT is not as simple as it sounds. Conceptually, BT is awesome. But as a developer, it drives me crazy. "

I would like to also add, while using the cell phone capture feature is good, Even only a couple of miles can make a huge difference. Where I live isn't far from a lake and I can see 5 degree or more differences from the weather station just up the road at my house. That's why I bought my own weather station. When you pull from a cell phone, you never know how far away its pulling from, and if your in a valley or any number of other factors, then the weather where your standing can be significantly different.