• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Applied Ballistics on Garmin Tactix doesn't work - help appreciated.

WeleaseWoderwick

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2021
London, U.K.
Hi all,

I have never used a ballistics solution app, but I bought the the Garmin Tactix Delta with Applied Ballistics thinking it would be interesting to see how it fairs against my in-my-head math. Well, I'm either a complete genius or a total idiot as I'm having a real problem getting any sense out of it all, so some education would be much appreciated - especially as I cannot find any specific 'how to' tutorials (the Garmin instructions are useless and assume a great deal of knowledge) and the Garmin Foretrex instructions don't tally with the Tactix.

Some data first::
Gun:
Accuracy International AXMC .308
1:12 twist rate
26" barrel
Zero 100yds
Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-45x56 MOA

Ammo:
Federal Premium
.308 Win
Gold Medal Sierra Matchking
175grn
G7BC 0.250
Muzzle velocity 2600fps

In the real world, shooting a stationary target at a confirmed distance of 900yrds, I know that I need to dial on 33 MOA elevation (not including the 20 I already have on the rail). However, after plugging in all the above data into the AB Tactix, it gives me 2.71 MOA elevation!? I thought I was going mad, so I installed the (fairly awful) TruFlight app onto the Tactix and input the same data - it came back with 28.7 MOA (ok, 4 MOA off. Like I said, not awesome. But not 30 MOA-off not-awesome).

What am I getting wrong here?

Your help is, as ever, greatly appreciated.

J

Double check your data inputs, something is clearly entered wrong.

Also if zeroed at 100 yards, you have already dealt with whatever adjustment was needed for your 20 MOA rail. It just gives you the ability to dial up further.

Reactions: WeleaseWoderwick
Were you able to get things working? 6.5SH is correct, when a solution is off by that much it's typically an input that is not correct. If it's close but not quite right, I'd suggest using the CDM instead of G7 as the Custom Drag Model is the actual drag measured for that projectile instead of a scale factor for how that projectile compares with a standard drag model like the G7 is.

Why would you possibly care about the 20 MOA you have on your base ? did you enter it as an offset or something ? Clearly it's been misconfigured.
What does it give you at 400/600 yards ?
Clearly a case of garbage in/garbage out.