• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appreciate advice on a rifle change: AR-30 to AR15

rjroberts

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
Largo, FL
I would appreciate some input based on experience with the calibers. I may play with the rifle - range, etc. but I am not a "professional user". However, the use can get serious because it also is for SHTF and, that's a couple of types: regularly defined SHTF and the temporary one as I want to have it on my boat when on some longer trips offshore. Right now that's a 12ga. I don't have much experience with the AR-15 platform, especially current - yes, I read the technicalities but that's it. My only real world handling was a "while ago" when they had triangular handguards, the forward assist was "something new" and, I only had to qualify with one as my primary weapon was too large to carry.

Right now I have an AR-30 in .338 Lapua. Yes, big. I got it in a trade and thought it might be useful because of "barricade transparency." Long range is out as I am on the Gulf Coast of FL - not many places one could use that range capability: even a 1000 yd shooting range is problematic in FL. I have got trade offers on it including a RRA M4 - something I would consider ideal for all-around use. My thought was I might trade off the AR30 and its ammo and accessories for an M4 and, possibly a Varmint A2 or similar - main idea being a 20"+ barrel for the few SHTF times I might need some longer range and, an upper in a larger caliber such as .50 Beowulf or even the .338 or .50BMG uppers I see. The only reason I'd look at a second full rifle is I would want the longer 5.56 barrel anyway and would buy the upper but ask myself why not have a spare lower?

Re: Appreciate advice on a rifle change: AR-30 to AR15

If you go to an AR-15, go SDM (20") or SPR (18") and don't look back. No reason to go over 20" in 223/5.56 unless you are shooting competitions with iron sights and need the extra sight plane. The little bit of extra speed you might get is not worth the unwieldiness of the longer gun.

The variants (beowulf, 458 socom, grendel, 6.8 SPC, etc.) are not SHTF friendly. They are hardly available now, in the best of times, and they are expensive.

In my opinion, if I can only take one rifle in SHTF, I want it to be a .308. If I can take 2, I want one to be a 223/5.56, and something bigger (more reach/energy) than a .308.

YMMV

Interesting, Gonzo. Right now, my long gun setup is the AR-30 in .338 and a 12ga. My only reason for a Beowulf would be on a boat so I could just bring my M4 and put on a .50 instead of bringing a shotgun. May not be worth it.

My tactical situation would not appear to require anything over 300 yards but the idea of a barricade or someone advancing with some sort of shield is possible. Also, on the water, pirates (don't laugh): may need to breach a hull.

338 lapua would be fantastic pirate and shield medicine...
However, a 308 should do a fine job of breaching typical hulls I would think, AND be easy to handle.
If you can find a buyer for the Lapua, snag a 223 and 308 and dont look back. Good thing here is that you will be able to afford plenty of trigger time and the ammunition is easy to come by.

I agree on avoiding the beowulf caliber etc. they can be a pain in the ass. Its nice to be able to walk into walmart and grab shells if you need to.

Either option will work just fine, but IHMO trade or sell the lapua and get a longer range varmint style 308 and 223 carbine.
I keep just that set up at home and I have most all my bases covered.

Thanks, gang. I did the deed last night and have a nice M4 with a bunch of useful accys and, most important, ammo.

I'm not even sure I'll go to 7.62x51, though I would certainly agree that's a good all-around caliber. I look at my tactical situation here and any I can see as possible and, there are very few 300 yard shots. Longest I can see from where I live or most places nearby is about 150. I though about the boat situation and anything over even 100 yards can be problematic even in the best of conditions because of vertical motion caused by rocking. So, my 12ga with buckshot and slugs will deal with that - 1 1/8 oz. of lead at a hull, buckshot at a bridge. Any opponent with more sophisticated weaponry than that, or countermeasures, likely won't bother some little guy like me, no percentage in it.

A 12GA with slugs can compete with the Beowulf for ranges where hull breaching would be a possibility. I had a Beowulf & a .458 SOCOM and sold the Beowulf as the SOCOM has more versatility and components for the SOCOM are more available. With the assortment of slugs for 12GA you can have accuracy out to 100 yards (or better -- I'm not much of a shotgun guy) and plenty of big bore power.

if you handload then the 458 socom opens up a whole new world . I would and do prefer mine over a slug gun. bullets are avalible from 100 grain up to 600 grain , hollow point, ballistic point, fmj, solid , and cast. with 325 grain hornady bullets I can hold 1.5 moa at 300 yds. at 100 yds I have fired .875 inch 5 shot groups . if you dont handload then I would consider the wolf or a 450 bushmaster , factory ammo is half price of the socom but they use pistol bullets opposed to rifle bullets for the socom.

Congrats on your new trade! You'll shoot the AR15 a lot more, and it's more practical. Did you get rid of the USO? It's Erik from FGT. Enjoy the new rifle!

I still have the USO. You'll see it up on the trade section here as I can't sell outright with my low post count, and on FSN where I see you as well. I'll be open to a few things - I know you mentioned an M4, but that's what the 30 went for, otherwise I wouldn't even be at this stage. How come you weren't out on the beach getting hold of that Sundancer?

Josh & Jwb, thanks for that info. Yes, it really seems as though the 12ga with slugs will do it. I imagine the .458 would be better - maybe when I get some m ore money. Meanwhile, it'll do.

I'll have to take a gander at that thread. I'm glad you got the M4 set up. What did you end up getting?

I haven't put it up yet; have to come up with some "wants." One of the big problems is, if I were to get a varmint style upper or rifle, that is, one for somewhat longer range, it would be worthwhile to keep it, it would be useful. On the other hand, I'm liking my M4 and wondering if I'd not be going down the road of superfluous equipment again. You know our general situation in this area: how many 300+ yard shots would you envision?

The M4 is a RRA build I got from a guy near Orlando. Nice floating barrel and a Mako foregrip with lightholder and rear switch. Has HK style sights. I'm deciding whether or not to go optical at all. If I do, it likely would be something like a Millett DMS or a Burris AR-332 or their 1-4, have to do some more research. A lot hinges on the ranges needed. It's SHTF and maybe some range fooling around - and, we know how short the ranges are, especially on this coast.

That's sort of a longer answer to your question on the US Optics. I don't really know what I'll do as far as use, which drives trade possibilities.