• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Appropriate budget for newbie

CybrSlydr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2021
Casper, WY
Originally I posted in the SIG Talk forums asking about getting into precision shooting. I figured $1k would be a good starter budget, and it looks like it would be doable, but as said, buy once and cry once. Plus, I'd be concerned that I may outgrow and regret the purchase at that end of the spectrum.

What about $2k or $2.5? Is what you get at those prices (rifle/optic) worth the upgrade in budget compared to the $1k?

For a beginner such as myself, what do you think a good sweet-spot would be? I don't need a $5k gun and $3k optic. :)

This is purely a precision target rifle, not hunting.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: rottenruger
I understand most folks say get the best optic you can afford as it makes the biggest difference. Are $900 optics that much better than $500?

Same with rifles - I was originally looking into a 700 or a B-14 HMR. Then I saw folks thought the HMR Pro was a better value, then the Tikka folks came out... lol

Trying to get a handle on this and how to spend smartly rather than excessively. :)

Reactions: unisuit56
First off, welcome. Next, you need to declare if you’re a poor or not.
I'm due a promotion at work in a couple months hopefully, and was considering getting a small loan and then using my income differential to pay it off in a couple months (and improve my credit).

That's why I'm looking at the $2k-$2.5k range. Dunno if I'll get into competitions, but I'm open to the idea.

I'm due a promotion at work in a couple months hopefully, and was considering getting a small loan and then using my income differential to pay it off in a couple months (and improve my credit).

That's why I'm looking at the $2k-$2.5k range. Dunno if I'll get into competitions, but I'm open to the idea.
I was just pulling your leg but frankly that’s a good plan. Improving credit is always smart. I agree with above on $1000/$2000 rule. That being said I think $1000/$1000 you could put together a very nice combo that would have no problem making you the rate limiting factor out to 1200 or so yards. At that price it would be something nice you would be proud of and get compliments on.

Cyberslydr. Before you get into precision shooting, I would make dam sure your fundamentals of marksmanship are rock solid! As everyone here will tell you, $10,000 worth of gear dont mean shit if your fundamentals are poor.

Lots of good folk here to lend some good solid advice, listen to them.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Any by the way" But more ammo"

The reality is this is a horrible time to get into this due to the current ammo and component shortages... but that probably goes for any kind of shooting really lol.

That said, precision ammo is a big deal, a $1000 rifle shooting excellent ammo can, and will most times, destroy a $6000 rifle shooting factory or poorly loaded shit. That's a reality too.

But, there's no ammo, and you can't really learn anything at all unless you can actually shoot. So unless you reload already, you'll be learning that too as you improve your shooting lol.

So, IMHO you're honestly looking at ~$2500-3000, with $1000 of that going towards a simple, solid reloading rig and your first 500rds. If you stick to a Large Rifle Primer cartridge like 6mm/6.5 creedmoor it's easier, stuff still turns up... on the other hand, Small Rifle Primers are like myth at this point. Prices on factory ammo is getting to the level of prison rape.

It's actually freaking amazing what $1500 can get you in a rifle and glass these days, decent scopes used to be unattainable under ~$1000. (Finding them is the hard part.)

Howa 1500, KRG Bravo, Arken scope ~$1500. ~$2000 if you can only find a Howa with a skinny barrel and/or wonky caliber. You can rebarrel it with a decent prefit for $500 (including paying a gunsmith to remove the old barrel). ~$2000 could also work for a Tikka T3X/CTR, KRG Bravo, Arken scope if somehow you're lucky enough to score one. Nothing fancier needed than that until one is good enough to pick it up for free off of a prize table.

Last edited:
My long range rifle is an older Savage Palma that I bought with a Japanese made Tasco World Class. Good shooter; not bad glass but limited use scope. 1/8 MOA clicks and no real zero reference. Didn't shoot the rifle because my access to a 1K range was limited and I got tired of cranking the scope back and forth. Picked up a new Vortex Strike Eagle and a new mount and rings last year. So far only shot 100 yards. Lot of canceled matches for COVID and personal reasons, but the scope is an improvement.

You could probably get a good set up for a couple grand depending on availability. Scope, rings, 20 MOA mount under a grand; rifle a grand maybe $1500? I haven't priced bolt actions recently someone might have a better range for price.

ETA: ceekay1 has better input on rifle prices. Think it poped up while I was reading.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Approx 1K for rifle, 2K for optic, 1K for reloading stuff, 1K for reloading components. If you buy the wrong stuff, it can be hard to resell when you are ready to upgrade. Suggest watching for turn-key used setups in the PX. Ammo will be your largest expense right now, especially if you don't reload.

I think $2500 just for rifle and scope gets you a nice set up. Best bet would be something you put together through the PX on here for cost savings. Be smart, do your due diligence, and try and bargin. Getting an even better deal is half the fun. May even find a turn key package from time to time that you really like. Yesterday 2 steiner scopes sold for really good prices.
Vortex razors also pop up at great prices and sometimes with mounts.

If you buy a rifle around 1k I would just buy something with a good aftermarket following. This way when you feel that you have outgrown it you can upgrade something. And don't kid yourself. If the long range bug bites, having a 5k rifle with a 3k scope isn't going to be out of the question.

I just went through this for one of my kids.
NIB Ruger Precision Rifle $1,100
Bushnell DMR2 $800
I had a set of rings and extra bipod already.

He was hitting a 10" Steel gong at 600yds no problem so we moved back to 1,300yds and he was still able to connect.

welcome to the forums. glad you made it over here.
you can read endless threads here on how to build a budget rifle.

jmo, but not sure getting a personal loan for a rifle is a good move
i would say just keep saving if you think you'll outgrow a "starter" rifle too quickly, but many will tell you money doesn't buy hits.
buy ammo or watch for the prices to drop. when you have 500+ rounds of ammo to shoot, then get a rifle to shoot it.

welcome to the forums. glad you made it over here.
you can read endless threads here on how to build a budget rifle.

jmo, but not sure getting a personal loan for a rifle is a good move
i would say just keep saving if you think you'll outgrow a "starter" rifle too quickly, but many will tell you money doesn't buy hits.
buy ammo or watch for the prices to drop. when you have 500+ rounds of ammo to shoot, then get a rifle to shoot it.
Normally I'd agree about just saving up, but I'm terrible at saving. I find it easier to just get a loan and pay it off quickly - bills are easier to remember to pay than ferreting money away where something shiny will distract me and set me back a few weeks. lol

EDIT: I also want to thank all of you for taking the time to help me out with this. I really appreciate it!

Reactions: DubfromGA
2.5k will get you a nice set up. Go with a Remington 700 footprint for future upgrades.

The PX here is a good place to find some great rifles for good prices.

Ammo may be harder to come by but here’s a great rifle. Personally, I’d pass on the scope. You’ll probably need to learn to reload anyway if you’re gonna really practice and shoot.

Reactions: Deets
Realistic budget for beginners...

25% rifle
25% glass
25% ammo/reloading

Also, you need certain acessories to really function,
cleaning/travel/bipod/bags/spotters etc...so add

25% acessories

Last edited:
Good glass and mounts, will greatly improve the abilities of both your rifle and you.
Tikka, Howa, Savage, whichever way you go, will all be greatly enhanced by decent glass.
My Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 Creedmoor was a sub half inch shooter, straight out of box. That was with factory Hornady ammo.
Now it is even better with reloads.
Good luck on your journey.

Originally I posted in the SIG Talk forums asking about getting into precision shooting. I figured $1k would be a good starter budget, and it looks like it would be doable, but as said, buy once and cry once. Plus, I'd be concerned that I may outgrow and regret the purchase at that end of the spectrum.

What about $2k or $2.5? Is what you get at those prices (rifle/optic) worth the upgrade in budget compared to the $1k?

For a beginner such as myself, what do you think a good sweet-spot would be? I don't need a $5k gun and $3k optic. :)

This is purely a precision target rifle, not hunting.

Thanks!
what are you currently shooting with?

AI
Tangent Theta
Spuhr
Atlas

Banks have lots of money. And think of all the credit you’ll be building 😁👍
Credit Karma did tell me I was pre-approved for a $10k loan at 17.89%. LOL

$343/mo for 36 months. $2200 in interest and fees. LOL

Its about 6-7K to do a really cheap but usable setup. Bellow is a list of the cheapest you can get away with and it still be decent/reliable enough to use. Yes you can find cheaper gear but its mosty chinese garbage you will replace quickly and it will not retain its value if you want to trade up/get out of shooting.

You will need:
Rifle $1k
Rings $90
Optic $ 800
Mags $ 100
Ammo $500
Chronograph $300
Kestrel $300
Phone ballistic comp $10-30
Rangfiner $600
Binos $500
Spotter $500
Bipod $300
Shooting Bag $100
Tripod Setup $800
Tool Kit /Torque $100
Misc $300
Rifle Bag/Case $160
Bag to carry all the shit $100

There is some stuff left out but if you want to do long range shooting, this is what you will want to have. If you got buddies to shoot with, you can get away with sharing but you really should have your own shit. And all of these are lower end pieces of gear, if your shooting alot you will step up to better,lighter,easier to use gear.

You will still need more ammo, barrels. reloading gear if you get into that, may end up needing to buy steel/targets, range fees, ect.

Its not a cheap hobby and IMO, is not worth getting into if you cant afford to do it at a basic level. There are much cheaper shooting disciplines out there that are more accessable and easier to find ranges. Most guys who are into it easily have $20K in equipment and spend much more just traveling to shoot and in consumables. Shooting twice a month could easily cost another $5K a year.

@CybrSlydr , look into reloading.
It'll greatly improve your accuracy, once you have the recipe right for your rifle.
Or..... 😈just get that loan, and buy an AI.
Fuck it, you only live once, and you'll never regret having an AI.
Looks like the AIAT can be had for just south of $5k. Totally reasonable. Lol

Ammo may be harder to come by but here’s a great rifle. Personally, I’d pass on the scope. You’ll probably need to learn to reload anyway if you’re gonna really practice and shoot.
I would jump on this deal.

I still think I'm going to be waiting a few months before I actually purchase. Recently had a biopsy on a mass in my chest and they nicked an artery and had to crack me open. Just over a month post-op and still on some pretty stringent weight restrictions and movement restrictions. Doc did clear me to shoot, but I don't think I'm ready, especially with a rifle. Pistol might be ok, but recoil could be painful. Plus, with my hopeful promotion in June, I can better gauge what my actual budget will be.

Keep the info coming folks - thank you!

I still think I'm going to be waiting a few months before I actually purchase. Recently had a biopsy on a mass in my chest and they nicked an artery and had to crack me open. Just over a month post-op and still on some pretty stringent weight restrictions and movement restrictions. Doc did clear me to shoot, but I don't think I'm ready, especially with a rifle. Pistol might be ok, but recoil could be painful. Plus, with my hopeful promotion in June, I can better gauge what my actual budget will be.

Keep the info coming folks - thank you!
Make sure it's heavy, has a good recoil pad and has a brake to solve the recoil issue. Even a heavy bullet at high velocity out of a rifle that weighs a lot and has a brake you can shoot over and over and over again (and you should) and it doesn't punish you.

If I were looking Into a precision gun to shoot right now it would be in 260 rem, 6 Creedmoor or 224 valk. Solely because it’s the only ammo on the shelf.

Reactions: Wb7
If I were looking Into a precision gun to shoot right now it would be in 260 rem, 6 Creedmoor or 224 valk. Solely because it’s the only ammo on the shelf.
I was thinking 308 figuring it was far more common and easier to find and then make my second gun, if I enjoy PRS enough, a 6.5C. Is 308 even that difficult to find?

what experience do you currently have? any handgun, rifle or shotgun shooting?
My avatar is some recent pistol shots at an indoor range. SIG P227. I have a CMP M1 I can shoot pretty well, though 100yd is about the farthest I've been able to shoot it (no long range ranges back home). Qualified Sharpshooter (34/40) in the Army with the M4. lol

I was thinking 308 figuring it was far more common and easier to find and then make my second gun, if I enjoy PRS enough, a 6.5C. Is 308 even that difficult to find?
Why don’t you fire up the ol google and see how much 308 you come up with

I would probably look at the 6cm these days. Targetsports use to sell 500rd cases of 308win federal gold metal for $360.
Those days are over, and 308 is fairly hard to find. The 6cm is in stock at more retailers.

I would probably look at the 6cm these days. Targetsports use to sell 500rd cases of 308win federal gold metal for $360.
Those days are over, and 308 is fairly hard to find. The 6cm is in stock at more retailers.
This is true^^^ but you will smoke your barrel in 1200-1500 rounds. 6creedmoor is not a good beginner caliber for this reason. 308win, 6.5creedmoor or 260rem are your best choices.

This is true^^^ but you will smoke your barrel in 1200-1500 rounds. 6creedmoor is not a good beginner caliber for this reason. 308win, 6.5creedmoor or 260rem are your best choices.
Bullshit. You may lose some accuracy but unless you are competing at a high level you can keep shooting far past where accuracy starts to loosen up.

Not to mention barrel cost is a drop in the bucket compared to ammo cost and consumables.

People who complain about barrel life dont actually shoot enough to burn out barrel. Those that do dont really care, its the cost of admission.

6mm creed is a fantastic beginer round. Plenty of factory ammo, cheapish, low recoil, great ballistics and you can actually find it on the shelf.

Last edited:
Plus, with my hopeful promotion in June, I can better gauge what my actual budget will be.
Be smart and wait for that if youre going to drop any real coin. Dont dig a hole you dont know you will be able to fill again. Especially with that credit bs you said earlier.

Keep reading until then learning all you can and youll be in a good spot.

Be smart and wait for that if youre going to drop any real coin. Dont dig a hole you dont know you will be able to fill again. Especially with that credit bs you said earlier.

Keep reading until then learning all you can and youll be in a good spot.
Oh there is no way I'd get that $10k loan. Those terms were obscene!

The $2-$3k were significantly better and less than $100/mo.

I'm fairly new myself and tried to keep a to budget. I ended up with a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 creed (not the premier) and vortex strike eagle. I can consistently hit a 10" steel plate at 500 yards with cheap magtec ammo. I can do better with ELD-M but I haven't been shooting it recently.

So far my costs:
Used Bergara with 20moa base, bipod and muzzle brake: $750
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 on sale: $629
34mm low scope rings: $100
bag, cheek pad, shooting mat, extra mags, magneto sportster and a hard case: ~$500

Not including ammo, even a budget rifle will be creeping up to $2000 fast.