• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Apps, PDA's and opinions Oh My!

Jcub

You just pull the trigger, ya?
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2014
Anaconda
I'm starting to research Ballistic apps and would really appreciate some information on these programs and how most of you apply them.

I understand that Quickload is an internal ballistics program, Loadbase 3.0 and exbal are external ballistics program.

Now that Coldbore 1.0 is out, does that mean I should go with that over Loadbase 3.0 because they will no longer update it?

I've also been looking into using a handheld device, PDA's are perfect for this I think and you can get what use to be the Cat's Meow of PDA's for less than $30 on Ebay.

Would it be beneficial to have both Quickload and and external program? Or is having a few reloading manuals just as good?

I'm asking you fine gentleman these questions because I've never used any of these and their websites are nice, but they are trying to sell me on it.

Positives and Negatives please.

Geesh, that is a lot of ground to cover sir.

First off, you have to understand that ballistics programs are approximations of bullet flight. There are a TON of variables that go into those profiles. The problem is errors entered into the systems create errors out of the system = missed shot.

A lot of people have good luck with Applied Ballistics and Ballistics Advanced Edition, depending on whether you are running an Android or a iOS (Apple). Applied Ballistics works on Android only and Ballistics AE works on Apple. But you have to ask yourself, will a PDA be able to handle field conditions. I may, if you are shooting at a range and can run for cover when weather hits. You also have to consider battery life. Are you going to have access to a power port or not? Some hunts and competitions may take you away from these necessary charging points for your PDA. It is recommended that you have an analog backup, like an FDAC or pre-printed range cards.

What are you using these systems for? Competition? Hunting? Long Range shooting? Range work?

Quickload is NECESSARY when reloading. It will save you money in the long term. I have seen people waste more money doing load development than the cost of the program, and that is only for ONE caliber.

My choice for competitions (such as the Sniper's Hide Cup) was to go with an all in one unit, the Kestrel 4500NV with Applied Ballistics and Bluetooth. It was a pricey unit, but it is very easy to use and while the Kestrel measures atmospherics, is constantly updates your firing solution. It was perfect for what I needed. It is weatherproof and batteries last hundreds of hours and easily replaced via the AAA standard.

As for reloading manuals, you should have at least one. Read the beginning section to learn how to reload. I have read two and I got a very good foundation for future reloading endeavors. I have seen others who did not have a solid understanding, and would simply reload without concern until their gun blew up. Had they read just one manual, they would have avoided those pitfalls.

Hope this information helps. There are a LOT of knowledgable people on here. We just need more information for your intended purposes and then we can address exactly what you need.

Loadbase is discontinued, it's ColdBore now.

The benefit of Coldbore is, it works with your desktop (windows only) PDA, and Windows Phone all together and from the same license. They also sync up, which no other software does.

It does have some limited reloading information in it, like QuickLoad, but that is a different animal, two different things. If your constantly playing with loads, QuickLoad is what you want, for ballistics you want a Ballistic Solver like Coldbore, if you feel Coldbore does not have the reloading horsepower you need then get both.

But for most things you can find in Coldbore

ExBal is dated and pretty much retired.

Thank you both for your responses, they were exactly what I was looking for.

I'm sorry, I can't believe my omission of my intended uses. haha. For the PDA it would just be for range work. I have a Storm Tactical book for future comps and hunting. The kestrel sounds very intriguing.

I have been reloading for about a year, I still have lots to learn, but feel like I'm ready to try a program such as 1 of these which is why I was asking about their uses and features.

For my intended purposes, it sounds like Coldbore is more of my application. Definitely going to have to look more into the kestrels, I've skimmed over them a few times, but never seriously researched.

Another question, if I bought a kestrel 4500nv, would it still be beneficial to own Coldbore? Question for those who have experience with both.

Again, thank you gentleman.

Coldbore has some reloading data, recommended powders, specifics on cartridges, it's constantly updated but not nearly as robust in terms of reloading when it comes to QuickLoad.

However is you are not switching calibers & cartridges frequently it will do the job, as you don't need to constantly consult QuickLoad.

In terms of ballistics, it's an excellent solution and yes you need a Kestrel, accurate data to use is important, as the saying goes, garbage in equal garbage out. The kestrel eliminates part of the variables.

The biggest limitation to Coldbore is, it's very Windows centric, so you need to use everything Windows, Computer, PDA, Phone.

I'm so glad I joined this site! Thanks Frank.

So to make sure I have it straight, after reading all the options for ballistics software, there are NONE that I can run on my Apple Laptop?

thanx

You can run any of them........if you have a windows emulator.

Posted via Tapatalk HD for iPad

There are none that I am aware of that will run natively. I do run Coldbore and Quickload on my MAC under VMware with no problems. As far as apps go, I have not found one with all of the features that I want in one app. I find Quickload very helpful in load development. I was using Field Firing Solutions and Coldbore very successfully on an eBay PDA. I spent last weekend using Applied Balistics on a Kestrel and I liked it quite a lot and found it to be the most accurate. To get the most out of FFS or AB, they have to be "trued" which does require some work.