• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Accuracy

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
For those with AR-10 (.308) experience, what kind of accuracy can be expected if using handloaded quality ammo (top end bullets, Lapua cases, etc.) at ranges from 100 to 600 yards, and maybe 800 yards. I would be using components such as a Geissele trigger and Krieger barrel. I always wanted a big semi-auto, but not if the accuracy is indifferent. If it could shoot 1/2 MOA, I would be pretty pleased. Unrealistic?

- Phil

Re: AR-10 Accuracy

I have an AR10T with a 20" barrel. With my handloads (175 SMK and 155 Scenar) it's 3/4" for 5 shots at best but MOA most of the time. Although maybe it's me... I have a 4 lb Timney trigger on mine. A 308 semi is a different beast and a lot more difficult to shoot than my 308 bolt gun.

why more difficult to shoot than a bolt?

My friends shoots sub MOA with winchester brass, 44 grains of varget, and a 175 SMK loaded too long to seat in the mag.

Re: The Future is Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Future is Semi-Auto Snipers Rifles..
For all the reasons given in this video..
Our Military is buying thousands of them to replace bolt guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qQB4b4Pgo

</div></div>

If I can make a suggestion, don't change the titles of the original thread, just makes it harder for guys to go back and find threads when the last time they saw it it had a different name.

AR-10 Accuracy

Ya, don't change the titles, and don't forget to add most of those M110s aren't working right, and many have been pulled from use because they keep breaking down.

Some might say the future is the chassis... or the 338LM, or the 220gr bullet, or the FFP scope with Mil adjustments... or
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Future is Semi-Auto Snipers Rifles..
For all the reasons given in this video..
Our Military is buying thousands of them to replace bolt guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qQB4b4Pgo

</div></div>

If I can make a suggestion, don't change the titles of the original thread, just makes it harder for guys to go back and find threads when the last time they saw it it had a different name. </div></div>

+1 Jason...
wink.gif

Hell if Mack says its the "Shit" then it must be the "Shit"...
crazy.gif

M110 is a joke, as I have said before, if the rifle is for your DM, fine, but the problems they have had with accuracy further out, I feel the Army is making a mistake. You will see the M24 and its verions for a long time. Besides have fun trying to run a 338 Lapua in a action like that.

Oh ya, I can't Mac and his Eastwood style wisper. Its just bad acting.

I could not help but show my zero targets from today.

I have a POF 20" barrel with 1:10 twist. This rifle is newer to me and I am still trying out ammo. I am shooting 308 winchester in 168 gr. here (HSM Match). While my zero target produced a nice picture my average group was not as tight. This weapons is capable of shooting 308 winchester or 7.62 X 51. I am going to 175gr next.

According to this article..

The M110 Sniper Rifle is slated to replace all 7.62mm NATO caliber sniper rifles in the system, both selfloading and bolt-action.

The Bolt Action has a slow rate of fire, slow to reload, and only holds 5 rounds. Sure it may be accurate.. But theres a big differnce in bench grouping, and real world shooting in the field, or in a combat environment. There are to many other variables going on, and people dont carry along shooting benchs. A 1/4" or even a 1/2" better grouping doesn`t mean anything in the field. Dead is Dead.

Any time you introduce a new weapon system into a real world combat environment, issues may show up. and issues, problems will be resolved.

Please show me documented reports of them breaking down, and any problems they may be having. Links to Offical Documented Reports would be useful. As there`s lots of mis-information on internet forums.

http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,146717,00.html

http://www.military.com/news/article/April-2009/army-sharpshooters-to-get-seal-sniper-rifle.html

Its my own personal speculation(and nothing but speculation) that there is a split in roles. Perhaps snipers and DMR's in zones where the shooting is fast and engagement range is limited(Bagdad) semi's will be deployed. In zones like the mountains of Afganistan, 338 Bolt guns would be the golf club of choice... My guess is this is the direction(but its a guess).

Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom, I think Frank just might have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.......</div></div>

Frank does. In addition to frequently training people on the use of those rifles, he's talking to people who are and have been using those rifles in combat.

When he says they break, they break, and he's <span style="font-style: italic">seen</span> them break. He's also seen them come from the manufacturer not meeting the manufacturer's own specifications.

He's also seen great variations in how they shoot. Some will shoot substantially sub-MOA, and some won't even get close to an MOA.

There is no better documentation than the testimony of people who have been there and done that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those with AR-10 (.308) experience, what kind of accuracy can be expected if using handloaded quality ammo (top end bullets, Lapua cases, etc.) at ranges from 100 to 600 yards, and maybe 800 yards. I would be using components such as a Geissele trigger and Krieger barrel. I always wanted a big semi-auto, but not if the accuracy is indifferent. If it could shoot 1/2 MOA, I would be pretty pleased. Unrealistic?

- Phil </div></div>

Not unrealistic at all. The custom AR10's we build are all guaranteed half MOA or they don't get shipped.

bcr229 just curious is that 1/2 MOA guarantee for 3 shot or 5shot groups? Thanks, Joseph

My brothers DPMS would do 5/8 moa in the right hands, CKA's Armalite AR10t will do less than 1/2, a couple weeks ago at 600 I spotted for him, he put 4 inside a coke can with my Shark Suppressor on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcr229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Five. A customer made this five-shot 100 yard group with one of our AR10's. They were his first five rounds from the rifle.

rstarget.jpg

</div></div>

Wow... I know where I'm sending my AR10 for a makeover. I'm sending you an email for with some questions.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcr229</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those with AR-10 (.308) experience, what kind of accuracy can be expected if using handloaded quality ammo (top end bullets, Lapua cases, etc.) at ranges from 100 to 600 yards, and maybe 800 yards. I would be using components such as a Geissele trigger and Krieger barrel. I always wanted a big semi-auto, but not if the accuracy is indifferent. If it could shoot 1/2 MOA, I would be pretty pleased. Unrealistic?

- Phil </div></div>

Not unrealistic at all. The custom AR10's we build are all guaranteed half MOA or they don't get shipped.
</div></div>

After seeing these rifles, I may just buy yours and the heck with building it. A few questions.

1) I see you ship to California. Whose lower are you using, given Armalite is banned here. Also, how do you handle the other California rules, such as those surrounding detachable mags?

2) Exactly what parts come with the rifle. For instance, does the Magpul PRS come with it?

3) Are you getting 1/2 MOA with 308? Handloaded I presume?

4) Estimated lead time for the AR-10?

Thanks.

- Phil

1) We start with an Armalite stripped lower receiver. Are these banned by name or by function/design? What AR10 receivers are CA legal?

2) The Magpul stock, Rock Creek barrel, and PRI rail all come with it. I can give exact specs once I get home (I'm on lunch at work now).

3) Accuracy guarantee with .308 FGMM ammo, and we have reports that GA Arms does quite well in them also out to 1000 yards.

4) Early next year, and that's being very optimistic, mainly because the backlog on some parts isn't clearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcr229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) We start with an Armalite stripped lower receiver. Are these banned by name or by function/design? What AR10 receivers are CA legal?

2) The Magpul stock, Rock Creek barrel, and PRI rail all come with it. I can give exact specs once I get home (I'm on lunch at work now).

3) Accuracy guarantee with .308 FGMM ammo, and we have reports that GA Arms does quite well in them also out to 1000 yards.

4) Early next year, and that's being very optimistic, mainly because the backlog on some parts isn't clearing.
</div></div>

Armalite is banned by name. I have a Noveske N6 lower, which can substitute for the Armalite. Also, maximum mag capacity is 10 rounds. Finally, you can not have a detachable mag with any "evil" features such as a pistol grip, flash hider, collapsible stock, etc., on a semi-auto. However, it is permissible to use a bullet button kit which means that you use a tool (nose of a bullet for instance), to release the mag through a hole in the normal mag catch button. In CA, that means, the mag is not "detachable". Stupid, I know. The kit takes about 30 seconds to install (really). I could send the Noveske with this installed.

Thank you.

- Phil

bcr229 what if I just send my complete for accuracy work? No need to change handguard just the barrel and some fine tuning. What's the lead time on this? Thanks, Joseph