• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Accuracy

sdm268

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Hello everyone,
I got a .308 AR-10 as a gift from a buddy a few years ago. Probably a dumb question but does the type & quality of the barrel affect accuracy? I've shot it probably more than a dozen times since I got it. I'm using Hornady Black ammo and can't seem to ever get a tight group at 100yards. Optics - VORTEX Viper HST 6-24x50.
I have two other LR Precision rifles (6.5 Creedmoor) and have no problems grouping them.

Beginning to wonder if it could be the barrel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stan

shooting a gas gun is completely different than a bolt gun. Just because you can bughole with a bolt gun does not mean youll shoot a gas gun with similiar effectiveness. regardless of the barrel.

Hello everyone,
I got a .308 AR-10 as a gift from a buddy a few years ago. Probably a dumb question but does the type & quality of the barrel affect accuracy? I've shot it probably more than a dozen times since I got it. I'm using Hornady Black ammo and can't seem to ever get a tight group at 100yards. Optics - VORTEX Viper HST 6-24x50.
I have two other LR Precision rifles (6.5 Creedmoor) and have no problems grouping them.

Beginning to wonder if it could be the barrel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stan
When you say you have an AR-10, do you specifically have an Armalite AR-10?

Hello everyone,

Stan
Yes, the quality of the blank and quality of the person/company that turned the blank, installed the barrel extension, timed and drilled the gas port all affect repeatability of the rifle. Who and how the barrel was installed in the upper also has affect.

Reactions: sdm268
The barrel absolutely matters. As does,

Ammo- your gun may not like the ammo

You- maybe your not proficient with a semi

Scope- Viper HST are crap. Mine lasted 50 rounds of 308 and shit the bed

Don’t forget the trigger too—hard to shoot dimes with a mil spec. I would definitely try more ammo, see if you can find some FGMM. Like others said, it’s significantly harder to shoot a gas gun well.

What exactly do you mean by “tight group”?
Yes barrel could be bad, but going from a 6.5 cm (bolt action) to a 308 gas gun seems to usually be a large step.
Took me a bit of practice to shoot mine decent. I’m sure you will get it though!

Reactions: Bluedog82
Honestly, gas guns are harder to shoot, but some are ammo picky too. My LMT 7.62 will shoot disgustingly large groups with some lighter grain ammos but will run 168 & 175gr smk sub MOA all day long.

what type of trigger
try different ammo as barrels can be highly selective
make sure nut is properly torqued

Honestly, gas guns are harder to shoot, but some are ammo picky too. My LMT 7.62 will shoot disgustingly large groups with some lighter grain ammos but will run 168 & 175gr smk sub MOA all day long.
true! my ss lmt barrel is .7 with fgmm 168 and 175 but hates lighter bullets
my cl lmt barrel loves the lighter stuff and doesn't like the heavier stuff.

What specific brand barrel do you have ? And the make and model of the firearm would help.

And all the barrels I have shot, have specific preferences as far as factory ammo. ( Bullet weights included )
So don't give up on your barrel yet.

FGMM 168gr is the "standard"... that seems to be the proving round. IE if your 308 doesn't shoot that well... then it could be you or your barrel.

And as mentioned, firing a large frame AR, for precision, is a beast unto its self.

The barrel absolutely matters. As does,

Ammo- your gun may not like the ammo

You- maybe your not proficient with a semi

Scope- Viper HST are crap. Mine lasted 50 rounds of 308 and shit the bed
Yeah, regretting the Viper HST choice. Live and learn.

what type of trigger
try different ammo as barrels can be highly selective
make sure nut is properly torqued
No idea. Rifle was a gift. Need to disassemble it to figure out. Might as well change out the trigger for a CMC or Timney.

What specific brand barrel do you have ? And the make and model of the firearm would help.

And all the barrels I have shot, have specific preferences as far as factory ammo. ( Bullet weights included )
So don't give up on your barrel yet.

FGMM 168gr is the "standard"... that seems to be the proving round. IE if your 308 doesn't shoot that well... then it could be you or your barrel.

And as mentioned, firing a large frame AR, for precision, is a beast unto its self.

Attachments

• IMG_2078-edited.jpg
    IMG_2078-edited.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2079-edited.jpg
    IMG_2079-edited.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: Makinchips208
No idea. Rifle was a gift. Need to disassemble it to figure out. Might as well change out the trigger for a CMC or Timney.
nice gift!
definitely check the barrel nut first and then you can try various ammo weights and brands

as for trigger, a nice 2 stage and pending on your budget you can get a nice scmidt for $60ish (aero and centurion sell this branded for $70 and $100 respectively so buy unbranded it's the same trigger), the larue mbt $99 and then higher but to be honest and in my experience, the scmidt will do just fine and laws of diminishing returns really do apply but you should have a 2 stage

Reactions: bfoosh006
How many total rounds have you fired through it ?
IE is the barrel fully broke in ?

Is the Hornady Black the only ammo you have tried ?
I realize the current market limits available ammo choices, many of us had the luxury of being able to try a cornucopia of 308 ammo, when it was hella cheap... and find a factory load that our barrels liked.

I also would give it a thorough cleaning, Buy a few different brands of ammo to try.

CMMG makes some great stuff... but I wouldn't consider it a match quality , ready to go, out of the box precision Large Frame AR.
CMMG makes a solid foundation to build on , if you so desire.
IMHO, it is in the "I need it to run reliably, and have reasonable combat precision level, at a fair price" group
Many Large Frame AR's manufactured are in that same group...and that is Ok with me ... then I can adjust, via parts, to the level / group I desire.

A better barrel would probably help ( and is a bargain in the current market, considering the cost of ammo ) with your odds of shooting to your desired level of accuracy.
Even a better barrel will increase your odds of better groups, but that doesn't mean it will like a certain ammo.

But, as mentioned... a large frame AR does take a different approach to achieve great accuracy. Certainly different then a Bolt Gun. And noticeably different then a AR15.
So you ( anyone ) need to learn how to do that as well ( no offense intended at all )

As already mentioned….trigger and ammo. On the trigger you don’t have to go high dollar. A LaRue MBT-25 for +/- $100 will be a good investment. On the ammo try Sierra Matchking in the 160s-170s weight as a benchmark on accuracy. Hunting ammo typically Hornady ELDx’s in 178 grain or Nosler Accubonds in 165 grain are going to be generally highly accurate across AR10 .308 platforms…..at least from my own trial and error testing.

Rifle barrels are so important some have to go through the ATF for a civilian to own them.
I mean not really, anybody can buy any barrel length online and can use it in a pistol build. That has nothing to do with accuracy though.

Reactions: FN15
I mean not really, anybody can buy any barrel length online and can use it in a pistol build. That has nothing to do with accuracy though.
Don't want to deviate from the topic but anyone can buy what they want but generally speaking barrels are so important to the accuracy of a rifle AR10/ar15 Some have to go through the ATF, Nah maybe just my state laws. Carry on guys!.

• Haha
Reactions: DangerRanger