• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 accuracy

bsmfine

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2011
pittsburgh pa
hey all,
i am just starting into long range shooting and i admit that i really dont know much except for the little that i have picked up from reading posts by others. i have just purchased an AR-10 .308 DPMS. it has an 18" bull barrel and i have ordered a Geiselle trigger that should be here in a day or so. my ultimate goal (at least for now) is to be able to hit a 5" square at 750 yards. i'm going to purchase a Leupold vx-iii 6.5 x 20. is the set up that i have now good enough (assuming that i can make the shot) that i need to do? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Re: AR-10 accuracy

heavy barrel. thicker than normal huning rifle i guess. its my first ar style gun so maybe that is normal. i just registered on this site today and i will finish profile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bull barrel ?

complete your profile please </div></div>

I have always been partial to cow barrels, but hey...to each their own.
wink.gif

As for all the other stuff...you, like many others, have gone and put the cart before the horse. The equipment is but a small part of the equation when it comes to accurate shot placement at longer ranges. The nut driving the rifle is the determining factor. What is YOUR skill set? What experience do you have with centerfire rifles? What experience do you have with semi-auto centerfire rifles? (From your user name, I'm guessing you are more of a bow guy, but who knows). What about training/technique/etc.? (I say this because handling a semi-auto like the LR-308 is NOT the same as your average bolt gun so there is an additional stretch of "learning curve" to contend with). Are you going to reload or shoot only factory ammo? Knowing more about those issues will be the determining factors in whether your goals are realistic.

As for your current setup...some DPMS LR-308 rifles are capable of sub-MOA accuracy right out of the box...some not so much...and it may depend on whether it was built on a Monday or a Friday. The VX-3 lineup of scopes is "okay" but nothing to write home about and certainly not the first choice of many shooters around here or elsewhere, but it will likely do just fine. The Geissele triggers are the cat's meow for AR triggers...no doubt...but which one did you get?

ORD
thanks for taking some time to comment. and the cow barrel haha. i have not yet purchased the vx3 but i have leupold on all of my other rifles and really like them. open to suggestions if it stays in a similar price range. as for MY skill set, i know that i will need to put alot of time in at the range and wont be able to just put a weapon together and go out and start hittin targets at 1000yds. but i have been shooting my entire life but not too much on the semi auto style. i do not reload my own ammo so it will be factory loads. and the trigger i purchased is the hi speed national match DMR.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_barrel

"While standard rifle barrels taper from breech to muzzle, high precision rifles will often use a barrel with far less taper, called a heavy barrel, sometimes leaving the barrel cylindrical all the way to the muzzle, called a bull barrel."

What wikipedia does not mention is that it is named for Gerald Bull.