• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR-10 barrel chop and thread.

i_Adam_i18

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
Olympia, WA
I have a 24" DPMS .308 upper that I would like to have cut down to 20" and have threaded for a suppressor. Any recommendations on a smith to send it to and how much can I expect to pay?

Re: AR-10 barrel chop and thread.

I cut mine down myself with a piece I made from angle iron for a guide, (which you can buy from Midway USA) and a saw. I then spent 6 hours trying to get it EXACTLY PERFECT with several files. Finally after I got it perfect, I had removed another 1/8 of an inch. I used a couple different Dremel tools of varying grades to smooth out the bore (BY HAND not in the dremel) I then used 220 grit paper, then green Scotchbrite, then red Scotchbrite to do a final polish and it turned out beautiful.

This is of course the factory barrel, which is being replaced with a varmint barrel, so I wasn't planning on keeping it. I just wanted to see how I did. The new barrel is being made by Rock Creek, they will then send it to Predator Customs for final fit and finish to my upper. The barrel is going to be $225.oo for the blank, but I still have to hear back from Predator on how much the final fit and finish will be.

**New correction... I'm actually going to buy a barrel from Rock River Arms. It's a much more economical choice for me right now. I just didn't want to come across as a jerk off when I got all excited about the new barrel and someone says, "you didn't get that from Rock Creek.!"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70822283@N05/6409460421/

It's actually a brand new gun that I've had for about 3 years and haven't shot because I haven't gotten around to buying a scope. I suppose I could buy a new barrel, but again, either someone would have to install it or I would have to buy the tools to do it.

I'm guessing that just about any good smith could do it, but ADCO seems to specialize in that sort of thing.