• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Barrels....CLE vs. Craddock or Precision Firearms

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am in the market to order a accuracy barrel for a AR-10 that I would like to complete. In the past, I have ordered two barrels from CLE (Compass Lake Engineering) for AR-15 builds with superb results. I have decided to shop around and compare pricing this time and was wondering if Craddock or Precision Firearms are in the same league as CLE. In other words, can I expect the same level of precision accuracy from Craddock or Precision Firearms as I would from CLE if I use the exact same blank (Bartlein or Krieger) in my build? Does Craddock or Precision Firearms maintain the same level of precision (or better) in cutting the chamber and crown as CLE does? Is any of these companies any better than the others? Does anyone have any recommendations or comments about any other companies that I should also look at?

craddock does not do a better job than compass lake does. however i don’t think they do a poorer job either. they are both top notch. and have had both do work for me. although the only ar10 work i’ve had done compass lake done for me. they done my armalite krieger barreled 260rem. it’s an amazing rifle. i can’t speak to precision firearms as i’ve had no personal experience with them. D tech is another company that does good work but they only use shilen or select match shilen blanks.

Reactions: simonp
My Craddock small frame barrels have outperformed my CLE barrels but very close and well within the margin of variation of the blank.

I’ve only used Craddock for large frame but extremely happy with results. My Craddock 6CM Bartlien outshoots my bolt guns in 6CM(proof prefits).

Reactions: simonp
Keep in mind that a large frame rifle is going to have different specs for barrels depending on the brand of receiver. Also, you mentioned Craddock and Compass Lake. Keep in-mind that they are the guys who profile and chamber, and they are using someone else's barrel blank with the rifling done, so while their work is important, the blank maker is more important.

We use both Craddock and CLE, and they are both the best in the business of chambering and profiling. We have historically used Compass Lake more, as we have had some proprietary barrel designs that they knock out for us, but lately they have been very slow (backed up). I am sure Paul Craddock is as well, but put many months in your timeline, or buy a Criterion or Lilja barrel that is pre fitted for what you want. Both Craddock and Compass Lake use top of the line blanks: Krieger, Bartlein, Douglas, Criterion (for the most part).

For our work on 7.62 gas guns, we use Bartlein and Criterion blanks. It is going to be hard to tell the difference in accuracy. First, Criterion has come up quite a bit in their button blanks, and Second, a gas gun will get to a place of deviation in accuracy, where you cannot tell the difference between a great barrel and a really good barrel.

I am in the market to order a accuracy barrel for a AR-10 that I would like to complete. In the past, I have ordered two barrels from CLE (Compass Lake Engineering) for AR-15 builds with superb results. I have decided to shop around and compare pricing this time and was wondering if Craddock or Precision Firearms are in the same league as CLE. In other words, can I expect the same level of precision accuracy from Craddock or Precision Firearms as I would from CLE if I use the exact same blank (Bartlein or Krieger) in my build? Does Craddock or Precision Firearms maintain the same level of precision (or better) in cutting the chamber and crown as CLE does? Is any of these companies any better than the others? Does anyone have any recommendations or comments about any other companies that I should also look at?

proof research SS.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019039079?pid=261734
gas block..... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1094240104527?pid=378070

So I just replaced the barrel on my SP-10 last Sunday with the barrel and gas block above and this barrel hammers with 143g Norma,140g ELDM and 140g Freedom Munitions ammo...3" groups at 550yds sunday with the 143g Norma Golden Target ammo and was easy to tune the gas block.
I'd recommend the Proof barrels and is what I'll be running and hard to beat for the price.

Reactions: jh2785
I’ve had several 6.5cm barrels from Craddock and CLE. While they’ve all shot lights out. I honestly think it’s a toss up. I recently talked to both companies about building the most accurate 6.5cm gas gun possible. While Craddock recommended a 5r Bartlien, CLE recommends 4 groove Krieger.
Pick your poison.

Reactions: simonp and LR1845
As mentioned above they're about a toss-up so go with the one that you can get the best deal on, now with that said keep in mind Craddock doesn't like to do custom one off orders he likes to turn out a bunch of his own style / generic profile while CLE will turn your barrel any way you want. The custom barrels that I order are very specific in their design and profile mostly based off of the M110 Contour but with a few variations.

My vote would be CLE without a doubt and their turnaround is a lot faster even when doing special requests, I put in three orders for custom Bartleins just yesterday.

Keep in mind that a large frame rifle is going to have different specs for barrels depending on the brand of receiver. Also, you mentioned Craddock and Compass Lake. Keep in-mind that they are the guys who profile and chamber, and they are using someone else's barrel blank with the rifling done, so while their work is important, the blank maker is more important.

We use both Craddock and CLE, and they are both the best in the business of chambering and profiling. We have historically used Compass Lake more, as we have had some proprietary barrel designs that they knock out for us, but lately they have been very slow (backed up). I am sure Paul Craddock is as well, but put many months in your timeline, or buy a Criterion or Lilja barrel that is pre fitted for what you want. Both Craddock and Compass Lake use top of the line blanks: Krieger, Bartlein, Douglas, Criterion (for the most part).

For our work on 7.62 gas guns, we use Bartlein and Criterion blanks. It is going to be hard to tell the difference in accuracy. First, Criterion has come up quite a bit in their button blanks, and Second, a gas gun will get to a place of deviation in accuracy, where you cannot tell the difference between a great barrel and a really good barrel.
Good points. Mine are all Bartlien barrels. Nothing but good luck on the 12 or so I have between bolt and gas guns... with the exception of one and the gun smith in Frisco, TX was/is incompetent.

My experiences are with GA Precision, CLE, and Precision Firearms.

All were great. CLE was for 18” SPR profile barrel though .223 Wylde.

GAP did .308 Win with an Obermeyer and .260 Rem in Bartlein for me, both lasers.

PF has done a bunch of Grendels for me and I’ve tested some uppers that had Bart pipes.

The Barts have been bughole-shooters especially.

Known name barrel makers are good at drilling a straight hole through a quality steel pipe.

Rifle shops with top reputations are good at profiling, reaming, gas port cutting, threading, and mounting barrel extensions before assembling tightly into square uppers that are well-built.

If you don’t need that kind of accuracy, it’s not a problem. A lot of people asking for the best will never exploit it or compete, so it doesn’t matter in a lot of these threads.