• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 Barrels

djskit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
Roseville, CA
Putting together my first AR-10 - I have a matching upper and lower from Black Rain Ordinance. I'm not a guy to buy something off the shelf, so I slowly amass parts and assemble.

Here's my thought, wouldn't it be easy to buy one of these Lilja 20" barrels (either 260 or 308, haven't decided), double check the head-space on a BCG and get a smith with an AR10 upper vise to torque down a free float base?

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

Install a gas block and a muzzle break and call it good?

Another option I'm looking at is JP, I'd be curious to hear a comparison between the two. I've heard great things about both, but I'm curious about any differences in chamber, velocities, et cetera. I'm also building a 308 AR (probably 260 Rem), so I will follow this thread closely.

One advantage (or disadvantage if you already have a complete BCG?) to JP is it comes with a DPMS style headspaced bolt. This makes the JP's 50-100 dollars more (rough estimate).

Putting together my first AR-10 - I have a matching upper and lower from Black Rain Ordinance. I'm not a guy to buy something off the shelf, so I slowly amass parts and assemble.

Here's my thought, wouldn't it be easy to buy one of these Lilja 20" barrels (either 260 or 308, haven't decided), double check the head-space on a BCG and get a smith with an AR10 upper vise to torque down a free float base?

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

Install a gas block and a muzzle break and call it good?
For the cost of the Lilja you might want to have one built for you. You can provide your current bolt and they can match it up to the barrel and also reduce some of the bullet jump (freebore). This will help with accuracy. If you measure the stock SAAMI throat length and the ogive on your loaded round at 2.800" you will be shocked to see it jumps about 150-180 thousandths!!

For the cost of the Lilja you might want to have one built for you. You can provide your current bolt and they can match it up to the barrel and also reduce some of the bullet jump (freebore). This will help with accuracy. If you measure the stock SAAMI throat length and the ogive on your loaded round at 2.800" you will be shocked to see it jumps about 150-180 thousandths!!

I just bough a lilja in 308 to try. where can you have a custom high end barrel built for less than 500? kriegers were over 700 last time I checked. and I think youd be surprised as far as the chamber length goes, not much freebore. it aint gonna be much more than the 2.80 loaded length with the bullets I measure with....... just a thought. I haven't shot this yet but will be looking forward to it when all my goodies arrive.

Criterion is putting out some decent barrels for the LR.308 DPMS pattern rifles. I have an Armalite AR10 carbine with a lightweight chrome lined barrel, and want the Criterion version with the rifle length gas port. I would need to drop extra cash for the DPMS pattern bolt & carrier group.

I'm going to get hell for this DPMS bolt is any bolt that is DPMS compat. should head space the same