• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Build Barrel Options: WC, JPE, Lijla

FleshGolem

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2022
Houston, TX, United States
Howdy all, I'm working on a .308 AR-10 build and I'm to the point where I need to figure out my barrel. I've narrowed down the prospects to three, and I'd like to hear which you all think is best value for money. I know for sure that I want to be running an 18" w/ rifle-length gas. My options are:

MFCTR/NAME​
WEIGHT (OZ)​
TWIST​
MSRP​
Wilson Combat Tac Hunter, Fluted, Stainless38.41:11.25315 USD
JP Enterprises JPSM308-18L11R7, Light Polish38.11:11.25620 USD
Lilja 308 AR10740 18"37.61:11550 USD

Weight savings are important to me, but I figure a difference of <1 oz. won't mean overmuch - I'm more concerned with keeping my groups at ≤1 MOA at 800 yds. or less. I'd also ideally like to get the bolt from the same manufacturer, with only Lilja not having that on offer. What are peoples' experiences with these three barrels? Is it necessary to spend the extra dosh to get the JPE or Lilja (and are the thermal dissipators just a gimmick)?

Thanks!

The JP comes with a high pressure EnhancedBolt (and firing pin) that the chamber is individually headspaced on. That alone adds significant value, as those bolts are considered by many as the best. You will have to buy the carrier, cam pin and FPRP separately.

Good call, that does make the math a bit easier
I have the Carbon Fiber version of this. They are head spaced to JP bolts, mine was perfect.
Shoots FGMM 168 & 175 1/2 - 3/4moa.

Profile is ideal IMO for 308 gasser. I wouldn't think twice about getting the steel version if under 1 moa was my highest priority.

1670733625433.png

I like Berger 185 Juggernauts. 1:10 may be a better fit. Otherwise I’m sure those twists are excellent as top notch companies pick that, including Seekins also. Proof AR barrels are headspaced to JP high pressure bolts if it hasn’t been mentioned. That’s what I went with. Proof recommends them for that reason on their website. Good luck with the build.

Reactions: bigjake83
If you're willing to pay JP prices, go ahead and look at Craddock Bartliens. I've used every barrel listed in this thread but my top builds get the Craddocks.

Reactions: yej0001
I think you can over-think this to death. All barrels mentioned are good barrels. I do not have direct experience with JP barrels, but know their BCGs. Not sure whose blank they are using. While not throwing a wet blanket on your plans, what I would say is that it is very hard to consistently get better than 3/4 MOA on a gas gun. (others will disagree, but this is what I have seen). You might be throwing too much money into an 18" 308AR.

Criterion would be my first choice for the money, and I would think seriously of moving to 20", but maybe you have a reason for 18". Lilja might be my second choice. If I were building the rifle to be the best that can be, I would opt for Bartlein and 20" and use Craddock or CLE. But, you need to evaluate how much money and time you want to spend to go from 98.5 to 99.6 (arbitrary numbers, but hopefully you get my point).

And, if JP is including a BCG, that makes a pretty good business case, as your next decision will be whose BCG. My preference would be LMT, but I am sure JP is as good or better, and that saves you $250 or so in the math.

For my AR10 I have 2 uppers, 1 has a Proof 24” steel barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and the other has a 308 Win Wilson Combat 20” super sniper barrel.

The Proof is an absolute hammer and prints 1/2 MOA groups one after another.

The WC is very new and only has 100 rounds down the tube but so far I’m shooting sub minute groups with it using reloads. Best group so far is 0.6 MOA and a bunch of .75s and .8s.

I think all those options are safe to take a plunge with

I picked up that 20” Fluted Wilson Combat Super Sniper from that sale and paired up with a Rubber City bcg. It seems like it’s a good shooter so far. I literally shot this group this morning while breaking the barrel in. My load is slow as hell - 42gr Shooter’s World Precision, Federal brass, 175gr Match Monster going 2,500 fps.

That steel is a 10-inch at 400 yards. The main cluster is 1 MOA, the 2 flyers were me figuring out the elevation/wind since I hadn’t chrono’d at that point then the next 8 shots were standing from a barricade off a game changer.

The Proof barrel I have was stupid accurate right out of the box. The Wilson definitely didn’t like a few loads and required some load development. There were a few 1.5-2 MOA groups in my ladder test 😂

Attachments

• B83AAF84-FC9B-474C-AFFC-83BC037892F8.jpeg
    B83AAF84-FC9B-474C-AFFC-83BC037892F8.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 51
  • F81B15DB-F761-4AD7-9598-E2C144EF2E48.jpeg
    F81B15DB-F761-4AD7-9598-E2C144EF2E48.jpeg
    678 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I went with the JP and am very happy with the results. Reliability and accuracy are both excellent. It's all good stuff but based on my experience, I would buy the JP gear again.

Reactions: Malcolm31