• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 build finally finished

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
AR10_7024.jpg

Finally got the stamp for the toy attached to the muzzle. Only took 14.5 months from the purchase date. The last parts (on back-order for more than a year) for the AR-10 arrived just a bit earlier, so the project finally came together.

Most of the parts came from Armalite, the trigger is the Giessele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger, the barrel is from Krieger and chambered in .260 Rem, the suppressor is the 30P-1 from Thunder Beast Arms, and the scope is a Night Force NXS 8-32 that, thank goodness, I was able to find used here on the Hide. When finances permit, I'll replace the stock with a Magpul PRS. The package is tipping the scales at 15 pounds. (Since major back surgery forces me to shoot from the bench, this isn't a major problem.)

'Smithing was done by Roscoe's Enterprises in Pueblo West, Colorado. I've been using him for years and have no problem recommending him.

Now to work up a good load. (Initial testing gave 2/3 MOA at 200 yards. I would like to squeeze that down to 1/2 MOA.)

Cheers,
Richard

That's pretty slick. I'd say forget the prs and just throw a triad or other stock pack/cheek pad on the a2 stock.

Looks really nice. Is it canted or is the bell of the scope resting on the handguard?

What type of throat did he use? Your mags will allow you more COL than the PMAGs and DPMS mags, so you should be able to find accurate loads quicker being that you have more control over jump.

139gr Scenar and 130gr VLD shoot very well for me from my GAP/Bartlein .260 Rem AR10.

You have a better BCG with the Armalite because of firing pin hole, springed firing pin, and balanced lugs.

Lapua brass lasts the longest, and is great in a gasser for durability, although I have had excellent results with Winchester 7mm-08 brass necked down.

I have had to full-length size all my brass before firing. Any of the 6.5mm target pills have worked fine for me, except the 140gr A-MAX for some reason. I've shot:

123gr Scenar
130gr VLD
130gr Norma GT
139gr Scenar
140gr Match Burner
142gr SMK

I'm having a bad day if the gun shoots .75 MOA for 5rds from solid support.

How are you dealing with dwell time, especially with the can and what looks like a 26" barrel?

That's an Awesome rifle. I see that aluminum gas block on there, it looks exactly like one that I got from Fulton Armory. Unfortunately, I did not have a dimple on the bottom of my barrel, so soon into me shooting it, the gas block moved forward of the pressure bleed hole / vent. I had to replace it with the kind that clamps on. You must have the dimple in yours, for the set screw, yes? I'm jealous of the can on the front, my state will not allow such a device :( .