• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Build Question on specing out my new project

Majja

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
I know that AR-10's are not a lego as AR-15s, being I kind of have to stay inside a specific style. The Style I have chose is Aero's M5 (I did not have the funds for Seekins or I would of went that route) I felt it was best to get a Lower and some mags in the safe prior to the upcoming election.

Now for where I need assistance. This rifle will either be in 6 Creed or 6.5, I am leaning toward 6.5 at the moment. I want to build a precision rifle. Looking at Barrels in the 20-24 inches leaning on the 22 inch side of things right now. The bolt will be most likely a JP HP bolt, and the lower will have a Magpul Gen 3 PRS stock with a Trigger Tech Diamond. And it will have an AGB.

Here is where I need your all help. Do I need to go with a +2 Gas system? Or can I tune it out with the AGB? I know I need to slow the dwell time down to preserve brass (i do reload). Is this better to accomplish this with heavier springs and buffer? And what about carrier LMOS or standard or a Full auto carrier? I think if there is to much weight in the action it will kind of act like a dead blow hammer and through the front of the gun down when returning to battery.

As of right now the Barrels I am starting to think about are: Odin works, JP rifles, Balistic Advantage and Wilson Combat. For a hand guard I was thinking of JP MKIII rapid configuration. I do also like the Seekins but I do not know if it will work with the Aero upper.

I am just trying to get me a shopping list together so the only part that is set in stone is the Aero lower. All comments are welcome it may take some time to save up and buy some of the parts but I am good with that.

Thank you
Matt

-I went with an AGB and tuned it to where it cycles reliably. i didnt reference any dwell time or specific spring poundage when putting it together and my brass looks fine for when i start loading.
-Using a Full auto carrier. most of my shooting is bench rest and i dont notice the barrel down effect
- the barrel i found was ballistic advantage barrel and it shoots 1/2 moa 3 shot groups (after 3 shots i focus on shooting steel farther out) The barrel is heavy and scoped im at 12lbs

Try looking for a Seekins coupon for sale.

Definitely go adjustable gas block and the +2 may not be a bad idea.

Get a great muzzle break. I’d look at the JPSCS, H2 since you are getting JP parts.

Depending on the upper and lower you get, you may want to buy a set.

I have a 22” and I think it’s right for a 6.5CM.

Also if you want to use it for precision shooting, make it heavy. Get some MDT-mLok weights.