• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar-10 build

theogre_52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
Eastern, Iowa
I am thinking about getting one of the Mega 10 monolithic nickel boron sets. But I have never built an AR before. I have picked out a few parts for AR-15 parts. I know there are some parts problems with the AR-10. I was thinking about building a .338 federal or 260... not sure which. But I was looking for some help picking out some parts.

Upper / Lower: Single Rail NiB Mega Monolithic
LPK: WOA LPK
BCG: armaliite (I like it because of the firing pin hole to firing pin clearance, has 7 month wait)
Barrel: Brux 6.5 Creedmore with+2” gas system (12-14 weeks after bolt arrives)
Trigger: Geissele hi speed national match
Stock: PRS
Muzzle break: Arredondo
Buffer: aramlite ar-10 buffer, spring, and tube.
Gas Block: JP adjustable
Magazine: P-Mags

Sure I am missing some important things here. Please help...

theogre

Re: ar-10 build

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads....902#Post3021902

Here's a thread I started about my Mega Mono. It has a parts list/evolution of parts that I used. Should be a good starting point for you. Remember that building requires you to buy a few tools that are not needed when you buy a complete rifle, and if you run into issues you have several manufacturers to try to deal with. I got lucky since everything meshed together nicely.

One thing I will say is that if you choose DPMS pattern barrel use that pattern BCG; alternately if you use Armalite pattern use their BCG. Or a better solution may be to get a bolt headspaced to the barrel. I had a DPMS BCG when I got a few other things off of here so when I assembled everything I had my local smith Go/No Go/Field Guage it for headspace. Top your barrel with which ever FH, Comp or Brake you wish.

Charging handle is supplied but I upgraded to the BCM. I used a Fulton LPK as they are a good company and actually had the least expensive kit, or you can get the individual pieces since you won't need the take down pins. The trigger is ultimately your call as preference goes. Magazines, hands down buy the Magpuls. You can get them for $20 bucks and they're well worth it for the tanks that they are.

If you have questions feel free to PM. Good luck

I posted this a few days ago I think in another thread here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I used

Buffer spring
Buffer
RE
RE nut
Stock
Cheek riser...thing this is a pretty neat attachment. It shows on the website it installing into the CTR but I put it on my MOE no problem. Plus it came with Dillo Dust and it was AWESOME!
LPK I discarded the pistol grip as I hate it and put a tango down in its place. Without using the pistol grip and MOE bottom part (the name escapes me) you could probably get a custom LPK from G&R with only the parts you need
Upper/lower uses dpms thread patter for the rail and I managed to catch it on sale last Christmas for $499
BCG
Rail you'll have to check what your upper high is. there is a diagram there that will tell you what the dimensions should be for the low vs the high
Comp personal preference
Barrel

I also had my barrel dimpled by Marvin Pitts with nefarious arms and it lightened the barrel about...half a pound. Marvin was good to work with and he assembled the whole upper for almost nothing.
One thing I knew in the back of my mind when I was buying all these parts over last year, all the tools to assemble a 308 upper are NOT the same tools to assemble a ar15 upper. Duh me! But if you intend on doing this yourself you need a new upper receiver block, lower receiver block, and a wrench to put the compensator on. The standard ar15 barrel nut wrench will work for the barrel nut though. I think Marvin charged me like $20 or $30 for the assembly and the tools cost upwards of $100 so it was sort of a no brainer to have it put together for me

I'm sure you could find a few cheaper parts, but the Armalite stuff is about as cheap as I would dare go. I wouldn't skimp any lower than that or you're going to sacrifice quality

But really, looking back at it and looking at the prices of the GAP or the MWS, or the upcoming SP901 which is <span style="font-style: italic">supposed</span> to go on sale this month for MSRP of $2129 or something....I can't say I would do it again. I've built several AR15s and it is fun to do, but I'm not sure I'd build a 308 again. Not really cost effective IMO. This build is $2300 or so and for the same or a little more you can get a good gun ready to go. As others have mentioned, Obr, MWS, GAP, PredatAR, SP901 whenever it hits.

I contacted GAP a while back and got a quote on a Rock barrel cut to 18", threaded for compensator, with a RE installed and it was around $800. That would have brought the build to $2600. An MWS with a Rock barrel can be had for $3400 on LMTs website so that IS a pretty substantial difference. But $800 for a barrel was more than I wanted to pay. Plus I was getting it dimpled for $250 making it over a grand just on the barrel

I'm happy with my build, just don't think I'd do it again. Sort of like the ar15 market right now. You can get a factory Colt for the same price as a built rifle if you build with BCM, LMT, DD quality stuff.</div></div>

Building an AR15 is easy. Building an AR308 is, mechanically just as easy. But because there is no 1 standard for parts you have to check and double check to make sure everything works with everything else.

Sgtbutt, are you having any issue with your pins creeping out? I'm considering KNS pins, which I normally would never put on an AR15. But I've never had any of my pins creep out before. The DD pins start to wiggle out after 10 rounds or so

I just ordered a LR308 lower, I'll be watching this thread.

Im going on what everybody else told me and led me to the trigger sitting at home for my new AR15, go geissele, this many good shooter can't be off the mark. I'm not saying its the only good trigger, but its got some of the most die hard followers I have read.

Mags, Pmags. I have had them get a little nasty suppressed, and in the field. Needed to clean them every 40-60 rds or so. They got very hard to load with the extra gas coming through the rifle and in the mags. Wipe em out quick with a dab of Hoppe's on a rag, back to normal in no time.

Love the PRS too, its not the lightest or most agile stock out there but it does its job wonderfully. Easily adjustable, very comfortable, and tough.

hope that helps.

C_K

Caelumatra, what trigger are you using? As far as pins go I've had no issue with supplied pins with my Geiselle. If you're usiing a Geiselle I read that it is advised not to use KNS or any other pins. I'd be curious to see what the problem is.

I'm using the standard one that came with the DD LPK. A Geiselles is on my list, just not in my wallet as of now
frown.gif

Upper / Lower: Single Rail NiB Mega Monolithic
LPK: WOA LPK
BCG: armaliite (I like it because of the firing pin hole to firing pin clearance, has 7 month wait)
Barrel: Brux 6.5 Creedmore with+2” gas system (12-14 weeks after bolt arrives)
Trigger: Geissele hi speed national match
Stock: PRS
Muzzle break: Arredondo
Buffer: aramlite ar-10 buffer, spring, and tube.
Gas Block: JP adjustable
Magazine: P-Mags

I decided to go with the 6.5 creedmore in a 24” barrel. I did this because the P-Mags are slightly shorter OAL then the AR-10. I think that because the 6.5 creedmore is a little shorter it will feed better and be closer to the lands when shooting. And I think that I can get close to the same ballistics and stopping power out of the 6.5 creedmore.
I updated the parts list above
Theogre