• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 DPMS upper from DTOM Tactical

Death From A Distance

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I bought this upper back in 2013 from DTOM Tactical. I test fired two rounds and put it away in the closet.

So I get the rifle out, and notice the bottom of the barrel is marked dpms 7.62 x 51 1-10. You can see the receipt of my order, did they send me the wrong upper? I want to load and shoot .308, and this barrel isn't marked that way. Thanks for any advice

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

.308 you can shoot out of a 7.62 barrel but 7.62 will blow up a .308 barrel.

.308 and 7.62NATO are practically interchangeable. Very minor differences between cartridge dimensions. .308 is technically higher pressure, but it’s going to be the same bolt/barrel for both cartridges, you already need to tune your load to your gun, and you already need to control the gas system since it’s a large-frame AR. In my opinion 7.62/.308 are functionally interchangeable in this application and it wouldn’t bother me.

Reactions: simonp
Just adding to UpSideDown's post, AR's will take both. Over-pressurization of a .308 in a 7.62 chamber is only a concern in a select few models of rifles post-WWII/Korean War era.