• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 Feeding Issue

Black Savage

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
The bolt on my AR 10 build isn’t going back far enough to pick up a round. Aero upper and lower, Wilson Combat BCG and barrel, geissele carbine buffer tube spring and buffer. I have switched buffer springs with a BCM out of another rifle and even another buffer. Still only goes back to a certain point and stops. I did try a different lower that had a rifle length fixed stock on it and it worked fine. Everything I have searched says a carbine buffer tube will work. What am I missing?
2A224DAB-E234-4C99-BF54-2364E192014E.jpeg
324A8A87-31DF-4906-AB2D-3E665D21786D.jpeg

Thanks that’s what the issue is. I guess in I missed that somewhere in buying parts. I just checked the length on the buffer.
You can use AR-15 carbine buffers in a intermediate (A5) length RE. That combo usually uses AR-10/308 rifle length springs. If you stick with the 308 short carbine buffer, they're typically described by actual weight and not an "H" designation as to cut down on confusion. They're typically available in 3.8, 4.6 and 5,4 oz., but actual weight varies. They don't use reciprocating weights, so bolt bounce can happen, but isn't common.
ETA: Over/under travel of the BCG can still occur, even when using the right combination of parts, and should be checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Savage
You can use AR-15 carbine buffers in a intermediate (A5) length RE. That combo usually uses AR-10/308 rifle length springs. If you stick with the 308 short carbine buffer, they're typically described by actual weight and not an "H" designation as to cut down on confusion. They're typically available in 3.8, 4.6 and 5,4 oz., but actual weight varies. They don't use reciprocating weights, so bolt bounce can happen, but isn't common.
ETA: Over/under travel of the BCG can still occur, even when using the right combination of parts, and should be checked.
I will get the new buffer and Spring coming. Then trouble shoot from there.

As I mentioned in another thread, why not go with the rifle length buffer that is known, specifically in your case, to work? I dont bother with a carbine length tube even in AR15 builds.

As others have already mentioned, the A5 extension is the way to go then regular carbine buffers can be used, with the added benefit of tuning the system with a different weight. If I'm building a LR308 pattern rifle and rifle buttstock, I usually go for a rifle extension. But for a carbine style stock, the A5 is the best answer.

Also, it may be deceiving from the pic, but the gas tube should end in the middle of the cutout in the upper receiver. Your gas tube may be too long. Something to check.

As others have already mentioned, the A5 extension is the way to go then regular carbine buffers can be used, with the added benefit of tuning the system with a different weight. If I'm building a LR308 pattern rifle and rifle buttstock, I usually go for a rifle extension. But for a carbine style stock, the A5 is the best answer.

Also, it may be deceiving from the pic, but the gas tube should end in the middle of the cutout in the upper receiver. Your gas tube may be too long. Something to check.
Thank you for the feedback. It is the picture as I checked to make sure the gas tube fell in the cut out as I had found that in another post.