• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR-10 Furniture and Parts

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I am thinking about building an AR-10 but cant find any websites with parts. The only thing I could find is maybe a Stripped Upper reciever but nothing else. Where to find Lowers, Barrels, Triggers, Bolt Assembly? Finding the Stock, Daniel Defense Rail, Optics, Rings, Mags and Bi-pod are the easy things but everything else is damn near impossible to find unless im not looking in the right places. It looks like if you want a AR-10 you have to buy one complete! Id like to put something together thats a cross between a SASS and M110 in a Coyote Tan or Dark Earth color.
Where are the parts? <span style="font-weight: bold">WTF</span> Has anyone else noticed this?

Re: AR-10 Furniture and Parts

Yup, AR15 parts are everywhere, you'd think there'd be a bunch of -10 parts available. I think they are all still integrated into complete rifles, and while people routinely recreate their AR15s it seems that AR10s stabilize and stay in one mode.
Weird. Oh, and tagging this thread.

1911fan

Everything is available but the bolt carrier group. You just have to look around. None of it is cheap.
I just finished a build. Look at the topic in this section on an Iron ridge armory build.
The thing that held me back was finding a bolt and bolt carrier.
Look to spend $1200 minimum.

Go to www.armalite.com. They've gotten well cought up with production again. Also, try Tom at www.762sass.com. There's a good equipment exchange at www.ar15.com as well with a section dedicated to AR10's. AR15.com is probably the best place to get all the info you need on your AR10 project, but be ware of the "Armalite" fans...only Armalite makes an AR10. Everything else is just a semi auto .308, and they have no problem telling you so.
If you have any questions, I've built several AR10's this year. Send me a pm or email at [email protected]. I'll be glad to help if I can.

I've got some stuff consigned at a local shop, and they've got a DPMS LR-308 that I could walk out with for cheap.... $650-ish, after trading.
Somebody talk me out of this?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somebody talk me out of this?

1911fan </div></div>

Why? That sounds like a nice plan. If you need talking out of it, you could always go price magazines.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to www.armalite.com. They've gotten well cought up with production again. Also, try Tom at www.762sass.com. There's a good equipment exchange at www.ar15.com as well with a section dedicated to AR10's. AR15.com is probably the best place to get all the info you need on your AR10 project, but be ware of the "Armalite" fans...only Armalite makes an AR10. Everything else is just a semi auto .308, and they have no problem telling you so.
If you have any questions, I've built several AR10's this year. Send me a pm or email at [email protected]. I'll be glad to help if I can. </div></div>

Well I've got to be the one to say it I guess. If someone is telling you the truth, why "beware" them? If you want an AR10, you will be buying an Armalite, period. There's quite a few reasons there are dedicated Armalite fans. That said, $650 is a very good price on a DPMS if you are'nt giving too much trade to boot.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's quite a few reasons there are dedicated Armalite fans.</div></div>

OK, school me. I've looked at some of the differences and not found them worth the 2X price tag.

1911fan

I`ve seen other postings like this.. conclusion, it was better and cheaper to buy a complete factory rifle. Not all parts are available, or there extremely difficult to find. Try to find any AR 308 bolts for sale, never seen any. I gave up the idea of building an upper.

Then you have to decide if you want an Armalite, or DMPS LR308. Not all parts interchange on AR308`s like they do on AR15`s. Uppers are different. Barrel attachment is different. Magazines are different. Amalite uses a modified M14 magazine. Only Amalite makes them and there expensive and hard to find at times. The DPMS uses the Stoner, SR25 Magazine. 20 round mags for the DPMS run $18 - $28. Magazines for the Armalite run $50. Both brands have there fans. I think i`ve seen more posting about Armalites malfuntioning. I know two guys at work that bought Armalites.. They both turned out to be Jam-o-matics. Armalite used to be Eagle Arms. They are in no way connected with the orginal Armalite. They only bought the name.

Mag Prices http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1327

Rock River Arms make a AR308 that uses even cheaper FAL Magazines. And there back ordered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I`ve seen other postings like this.. conclusion, it was better and cheaper to buy a complete factory rifle. Not all parts are available, or there extremely difficult to find. Try to find any AR 308 bolts for sale, never seen any. I gave up the idea of building an upper.

Then you have to decide if you want an Armalite, or DMPS LR308. Not all parts interchange on AR308`s like they do on AR15`s. Uppers are different. Barrel attachment is different. Magazines are different. Amalite uses a modified M14 magazine. Only Amalite makes them and there expensive and hard to find at times. The DPMS uses the Stoner, SR25 Magazine. 20 round mags for the DPMS run $18 - $28. Magazines for the Armalite run $50. Both brands have there fans. I think i`ve seen more posting about Armalites malfuntioning. I know two guys at work that bought Armalites.. They both turned out to be Jam-o-matics. Armalite used to be Eagle Arms. They are in no way connected with the orginal Armalite. They only bought the name.

Mag Prices http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1327

Rock River Arms make a AR308 that uses even cheaper FAL Magazines. And there back ordered. </div></div>

You really should try and get your facts straight.

I don't think ArmaLite was ever Eagle Arms. ArmaLite developed the company Eagle Arms for legal reasons. ArmaLite used to use only “ArmaLite” lower receivers for actual factory built guns and sold “Eagle Arms” as stripped lower and upper receivers. This was to differentiate between the two different warranties. ArmaLite has a lifetime warranty and EA has a one year only warranty.

ArmaLite 20rnd mags are 5 for $150.00 direct from Armalite. ArmaLite mags are not "modified M14 mags", they are a deidcated magazine for the Armaite rifle. You can use a modified M14 mag, and they did sell them during a short period, but the new GenII mags are not modified M14mags.

You "think" you've seen more postings about "Armalite's" malfunctioning? Why bother mentioning that if you don't know for sure? This is one reason Armalite owners take issue with other designs being called AR10's. Many people refer to problems with their "semi 308" as a "AR-10 problems". This misnomer leads people to believe that the AR-10 is a poorly built rifle with a lot of problems, when in fact, the opposite is true.

There's almost nothing interchangable between a DPMS and an ArmaLite. Uppers and lowers will not swap. Barrels will not swap. Bolts and BCG's will not swap. If you want to see one of the main differences between an AR and a DPMS .308 just look at the bolt. Check the fit and finish between the uppers and lowers. ArmaLite offers things you won't find on a DPMS like chrome lined barrels, lifetime warranty, better triggers, forged receivers, and MOA guarantees. These extras cost money and one reson ArmaLites are more expensive than a DPMS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to www.armalite.com. They've gotten well cought up with production again. Also, try Tom at www.762sass.com. There's a good equipment exchange at www.ar15.com as well with a section dedicated to AR10's. AR15.com is probably the best place to get all the info you need on your AR10 project, but be ware of the "Armalite" fans...only Armalite makes an AR10. Everything else is just a semi auto .308, and they have no problem telling you so.
If you have any questions, I've built several AR10's this year. Send me a pm or email at [email protected]. I'll be glad to help if I can. </div></div>

Well I've got to be the one to say it I guess. If someone is telling you the truth, why "beware" them? If you want an AR10, you will be buying an Armalite, period. There's quite a few reasons there are dedicated Armalite fans. That said, $650 is a very good price on a DPMS if you are'nt giving too much trade to boot.

okie
</div></div>Oh, I'm an Armalite fan...just saying there are a few over there that are just plain fenatical about their Armalites and not very polite about it either. It gets a little old sometimes.

Steelcomp.. Heres the history of Armalite.. As you can see it changed ownership a number of times over the years. Back in the 1950`s and 1960`s the orginal ArmaLite was a Division of the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite

The todays Armalite AR10 was designed around modified M14 magazines. They had to modify M14 magazines because they could not sell newly manufactured 20 round magazines to the public during th assault weapon ban. Armalite modified surplus magazines or customers could send in there M14 mags for modification. After the assault weapon ban expired in 2004.. Armalite was able to start manufacturing new 20 round magazines for sale to the public.. these are known as GenII mags. These are M14 mags incorporating the design modifications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steelcomp.. Heres the history of Armalite.. As you can see it changed ownership a number of times over the years. Back in the 1950`s and 1960`s the orginal ArmaLite was a Division of the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite

The todays Armalite AR10 was designed around modified M14 magazines. They had to modify M14 magazines because they could not sell newly manufactured 20 round magazines to the public during th assault weapon ban. Armalite modified surplus magazines or customers could send in there M14 mags for modification. After the assault weapon ban expired in 2004.. Armalite was able to start manufacturing new 20 round magazines for sale to the public.. these are known as GenII mags. These are M14 mags incorporating the design modifications.
</div></div>Thanks Tom. Actually, there are three generations of "modern" AR10 mags...two modified M14 versions during the AWB and then the GenII. The first version ('00) had standard M14 feed lips that were 1.053". Then in '02 they tried shortening them to .857". The Gen II mags have 1.128" lips. My point ws that Armalite spent a lot of money and time on the Gen II magazines to make them work properly and reliably, for them to be called "modified M14" mags. It's one of the reasons they were so expensive in the beginning as they needed to recoup some of that expense. In a pinch, you can still even use an <span style="font-style: italic">un</span>modified M14 mag in an Armalite and hold it in with a sling or a belt or something...it just won't catch or hold the bolt open after the last round, but to say the AR10 uses a "modified M14" mag, to me, is inaccurate. Maybe semantics.

Geneaplicer has a GAP ar10 in 260 w/IOR scope for sale. I have seen it and it is super nice.

School you? If you're giving twice the price of a DPMS for an Ar10, you're unschoolable. $50 for an AR10 mag!!? Where the hell are you guys getting these prices? If you're really giving that much, you're getting f-----! I wont bother listing the differences a second time since most have already been mentioned but I came to my conclutions from experience which is how I make my decitions and form my opinions. I have two AR10's and one M15, they all run like machines and I run M14, gen 1 and gen 2 mags. I've never given over 30 bucks for an Armalite mag and never over 7 for an M14. I've compared them several times side by side with DPMS for performance, fit and function, some before I owned an Armalite and every time I prefered the AR10. I think Mark Wisetrom (sp?) still ownes Armalite and has for years. The two times I've called them he answered the phone. Their customer soupport has been great for me and they are dedicated to building quality AR10's. Since I'm not buying 30 year old rifles, I dont care about what they used to be or what they used to build, I'm concerned with thier modern rifles. You want a DPMS then buy it, I'm not trashing them, their good rifles and there target models are said to be very accurate but they dont offer everything I want in a 308 AR. To each his own.

okie

Just checked the Armalite website and 10-round AR-10 mags are listed at $44.95 plus shipping. Where are you getting your prices?
Oh, and DPMS semi auto .308s list for $1200 and the
AR10 at over $2000. I'm schoolable- again, where do you get your deals?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just checked the Armalite website and 10-round AR-10 mags are listed at $44.95 plus shipping. Where are you getting your prices?

1911fan </div></div>
AR10T stainless 20" tripple lapped Lothar target barrel w/ free float, 2 stg match trigger, 1 moa, life time guarantee. $1892.00
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...a0-49488ec48776
Ar10A4 16" carbine, collapsing stock, flat top, double lapped chrome lined barrel, forward assist, life time guarantee. 1557.00
20" A4 rifle, same price.
Mag special...5 Armalite 20 rnd mag package for 150.00...do the math
http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=078baf5d-253b-4bdb-8379-7f8c4fb04bce

School's out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just checked the Armalite website and 10-round AR-10 mags are listed at $44.95 plus shipping. Where are you getting your prices?

1911fan </div></div>
AR10T stainless 20" tripple lapped Lothar target barrel w/ free float, 2 stg match trigger, 1 moa, life time guarantee. $1892.00
Ar10A4 16" carbine, collapsing stock, flat top, double lapped chrome lined barrel, forward assist, life time guarantee. 1557.00
20" A4 rifle, same price.
Mag special...5 Armalite 20 rnd mag package for 150.00...do the math
http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=078baf5d-253b-4bdb-8379-7f8c4fb04bce

School's out.

</div></div>

Damn, wish I could get on here more often, you guys keep beatin me to it. Ah who am I kiddin, dont care enough to do the research for you. Join the classes yourself.

Steelcomp, you have way more desire to help those who dont want it than I do. Good post.

okie

If you want an ARMALITE you'll end up buying that.If you want a semi auto 308 there are several good ones out there I won't list them all.Armalites are harder to find parts for and more costly to build ( less selection).Nothing wrong with the DPMS or that planform, parts are more available from various suppliers.Is one better then the other? Loyal guys are like politicians screaming back and forth...I have yet to see any real evidence that either design has inherent flaws or advantages over the other.Follow your heart or wallet...

OK, I've been schooled. No question that 1) my search skills suck, 2) Armalite has the better warranty, and 3) Armalites are not that much more money.
Since I was able to make a deal on it, I bought the DPMS LR308. Shot it yesterday, and it likes 175gr SMKs and doesn't like 168gr SMKs loaded long. And the trigger's gotta go! I'm used to the Jewells in my bolt guns and my Bushy varminter. This thing sucks: gritty, draggy, and about six pounds.
I like the rifle though.

1911fan

It sounds like you got a good deal on your rifle. The trigger is an easy fix, and it sounds like you're happy with it. What more do you realy need?
I'm not "brand loyal" like some. I just did a ton of research before I started building AR's, and found some significant differnces, and a lot of misinformation, which I try and correct. In the end, it's all good. Fix that trigger and you'll have a nice rifle.

Interesting thread. I am still new to 308 ARs and have done no mods on my DPMS AP4 Carbine to date. Should I change to an A2 fixed length stock, will the AR-15 A2 fit? I realize that I will need a rifle length extension tube but is there any other change needed?

Thanks. BAT_Boy.

I did search before asking. While most sites did not distinguish between AR-15 and AR-10 buttstocks, some did. I wasn't sure. Thanks, exhogflyer, for a straight up answer.

My McMillan A-5's could care less about the caliber.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thread. I am still new to 308 ARs and have done no mods on my DPMS AP4 Carbine to date. Should I change to an A2 fixed length stock, will the AR-15 A2 fit? I realize that I will need a rifle length extension tube but is there any other change needed?

Thanks. BAT_Boy. </div></div>The A2 will fit the AR15 and the AR10. They run different springs and buffers. To switch from carbine to rifle length, there is a difference between the carbine and rifle operating spring and buffer. You'll want to run an AR10 rifle spring, and an AR10 rifle buffer to start. You might have to play with buffer weights depending on how it cycles.

Here's all the info you need:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=378850

1911, theres no doubt you've got a good rifle. Make the changes you want to it and enjoy it. The two stage trigger that came on my AR10T wasnt all that great either, I changed it pretty quickly and made a big difference in how I liked shooting the rifle. Done quite a few changes to it since but one of the best improvements to just how the gun operates was the Tubb Carrier Weight system. Enjoy your big bore AR, thier a different animal.

okie

ps. The 178 Amaxes work very well in the "T".

steelcomp, thanks for a very informative link. I'm keeping that sucker for reference.

I purchased a complete (Armalite) AR10 from a member on the hide in February when they were close to impossible to come by. Components can certainly be hard to find, but they're out there - although you're going to pay for them. I do believe you should buy what you're looking for from the get-go rather than try to put it together. It's more economical.

I did buy some components from Armalite, and they went out of their way to help me with some installation questions and issues. They even got one of their gunsmiths on the phone with me as I worked on my rifle. I was PLEASED with their service.

Yes, they were backloged for a while there; but I'm a happy customer.

Oh yeah, +1 on thanks to steelcomp for the links.

You may want to check out www.ar10t.com. Their forum is a small one, but there are some fanatics on there who can help you out as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911, theres no doubt you've got a good rifle. Make the changes you want to it and enjoy it. The two stage trigger that came on my AR10T wasnt all that great either, I changed it pretty quickly and made a big difference in how I liked shooting the rifle. Done quite a few changes to it since but one of the best improvements to just how the gun operates was the Tubb Carrier Weight system. Enjoy your big bore AR, thier a different animal.

okie

ps. The 178 Amaxes work very well in the "T". </div></div>

Already got a trigger on the way, RRA NM two-stage. Went to the range tonight to do some more serious shooting, zeroed at 100 and shot two very nice groups, one 5 shot/one hole and one 10-shot group with 8 in one hole and two out (one called). Load development went like this: "Hey Pat, what are you shooting in your DPMS .308? OK, thanks!" I'll have to check into the Tubb weight, a friend uses one on his spacegun and likes it.
I'm enjoying one annoyance though, at times it snatches a round off the mag and it hangs up at a 45 degree angle to the chamber and the bolt mashes it instead of chambering. Not sure why, happened a few times but not consistently. COAL is 2.80" to fit the mag.

1911fan

Be ware on the RR two stage...many have quickly become single stage, (poor tempering on the critical surfaces)and I've heard of a few hammers breaking. Nothing in the way of personal exxperience, but I have the same trigger in both my AR10's. Ufortunately I don't have enough rounds on either one to give a qualified opinioon, but I've been warned, and read enough 1st hand posts about these issues that there does seem to be some truth to the claims.
Just FYI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be ware on the RR two stage...many have quickly become single stage, (poor tempering on the critical surfaces)and I've heard of a few hammers breaking. Nothing in the way of personal exxperience, but I have the same trigger in both my AR10's. Ufortunately I don't have enough rounds on either one to give a qualified opinioon, but I've been warned, and read enough 1st hand posts about these issues that there does seem to be some truth to the claims.
Just FYI </div></div>

Damn, hate to hear that about the RR trigger. I've got one on my AR10A2 and really like it. Smooth take up and nice crisp break. Like you though, hav'nt put enough rounds through it to have checked its durability. Thanks for the heads up.

okie