• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 glass recommendations

SoYoCo

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
York, PA
Hey everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, first time poster. I recently bought my first AR-10. It’s a 6.5 Windham R20. I’m pretty pumped to get to the range, but I need to buy some glass. I would like to delve into FFP scopes for the first time. I want to be able to use the hash marks at any magnification. I have leupold glass on my hunting/bolt guns. Looking to spend around 1000-1200. The rifle will be used to bang steel. I would like to stretch it as far as possible, but I have never had an AR-10 and don’t know what to expect….

Vortex PST, Brownells MPO, something like that in a 3-18 or 5-25. Burris XTR III is just over your price range but may be of interest.

We have an optics subsection--you might search there. No reason that rifle can't go 1k+

I'm even feeling generous today:

Reactions: SoYoCo
Im running a Vortex Viper 2.5-10×44 and absolutely love it. The weight is light, the clarity is excellent (for this price range) and it has been 100% reliable.

Reactions: TicTacTex
Hey everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, first time poster. I recently bought my first AR-10. It’s a 6.5 Windham R20. I’m pretty pumped to get to the range, but I need to buy some glass. I would like to delve into FFP scopes for the first time. I want to be able to use the hash marks at any magnification. I have leupold glass on my hunting/bolt guns. Looking to spend around 1000-1200. The rifle will be used to bang steel. I would like to stretch it as far as possible, but I have never had an AR-10 and don’t know what to expect….
The Bushnell DMR3 3.5-21x50 is the best Gas Gun scope under $1,400.00

You can find them easily for $1,200.00 I've been running them for years since the first Gen HDMR came out and they are just indestructible with 100% reliable tracking. All of mine sit in QD mounts because they are my go-to scope that I switch from rifle to rifle for testing. The new Pro and DMR3 have very good glass you won't be disappointed.

The Bushnell DMR3 3.5-21x50 is the best Gas Gun scope under $1,400.00

You can find them easily for $1,200.00 I've been running them for years since the first Gen HDMR came out and they are just indestructible with 100% reliable tracking. All of mine sit in QD mounts because they are my go-to scope that I switch from rifle to rifle for testing. The new Pro and DMR3 have very good glass you won't be disappointed.
LRTS would also work pretty well for OP also. Just saw one in the PX too.

Thanks for the info guys! Can anyone give a first hand comparison between the Ares and the Cronos? The price point on the Ares is great, but I’m wondering if the Cronos is worth the step up?

Thanks for the info guys! Can anyone give a first hand comparison between the Ares and the Cronos? The price point on the Ares is great, but I’m wondering if the Cronos is worth the step up?
China vs Japan

I’ve looked through both. Owned the Cronus for a while. The Ares had locking turret on wind if I remember correctly. Cronus glass is better. Cronus tracking was accurate and reliable. Not sure about ares as I did not test it

If you shop in the px here or watch CameralandNY sales you can get decent prices on both

no relation to seller….I picked one up here a few weeks ago and was impressed for what I have in it.

If you don't need a lot of features, consider the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56. Way under budget but that scope really impressed me for the price point. It's pretty much a no-frills Ares ETR.

Burris XTRIII from px or CameralandNY

Athlon Cronus from PX

This. 2 best scopes under $1500 at the moment. Cronus would be a bit chunky on an AR platform IMO. The 3-18x XTR3 would be perfect.

Another option is the razor LHT. They regularly go for $1200 in the PX. That’s my next optic for a 6 ARC build.

Reactions: K2e2vin
If you are a veteran, or LE Leupold has a really good program and you can get a non illuminated mk5 3-18 for just above that price range.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
I went with the FFP Athlon Optics Cronos BTR Gen 2, 4.5-29X x56mm, with the APRS1 mil-rad reticle, for my 26" 6.5CM AR-10. If you go with the Cronus, be sure to get the right reticle for your preference.

good glass, nice turrets, nice reticle. I'm liking it. It's a step up for me from the FFP Vortex Venom (5-25x56). I want the 56mm objective for light-gathering ability, which is going to result in a 34mm tube.

I went with the FFP Athlon Optics Cronos BTR Gen 2, 4.5-29X x56mm, with the APRS1 mil-rad reticle, for my 26" 6.5CM AR-10. If you go with the Cronus, be sure to get the right reticle for your preference.

good glass, nice turrets, nice reticle. I'm liking it. It's a step up for me from the FFP Vortex Venom (5-25x56).
36C7BE88-2C98-467D-98BD-6AB011670720.jpg

$1400 should get you a Vortex Gen2 Razor on the marketplace. Pretty heavy scope, but weight isn't always a bad thing

Reactions: rpoL98