• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 in .243

asbestosglove

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Mount Airy, NC
My doctor has an AR 10 in .243 that is short stroking and he wants me to help him troubleshoot it. Anything to look out for other than the obvious like too dirty or too dry? AG

Re: AR 10 in .243

Smaller bores are more problematic in AR style rifles. That caliber speicifically may only like 1 load. Heavy bullets and slow powders will hammer it and light bullets with fast powders may cause it to short stroke. Armalite's site has a technical paper specifically delaing with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just charge him a $100 a pop for a office call and have him keep comming back untill you get it sorted out. </div></div>

wink.gif

I had issues like this when I built a 204 Ruger, and also when shooting 40gr bullets out of a 223 AR. I figured speed was a factor as in a short fast but high pressure spike. I ended up opening the gas port and using a JP gas block and some fine tuning to get the 204 to run 100%. It might be worth looking into in this case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just charge him a $100 a pop for a office call and have him keep comming back untill you get it sorted out. </div></div>

Now that is funny!