• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR-10 Issue

SuperTuck

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
Princeton, Minnesota
I have an issue with my AR-10. It fires about 6 or 7 rounds but then just dents the primer. After that the trigger is locked as if the weapon is on safe, I charge the weapon ejecting the round and putting a new one in to reset the trigger mechanism, but it remains locked. I have to physically break the weapon down shotgun style and play with the hammer and trigger to get it to drop forward again, putting various pressure on the hammer to find the sweet spot for it to release and then it works again for a couple of shots.

Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Re: AR-10 Issue

did you drop any primers? dropped primers tend to hide under the trigger mechanism.

Pull the trigger and hammer out by pushing out the pins and clean everything,
lube it and re-install. Look at all the parts while you have it out. Make sure the
select fire (safety) is staying put in it's detent and that the flat is free of debris. It
shouldn't be to hard to find. They take the same trigger as an ar15 so an upgrade
to an armalite or any other 2 stage or custom like a jewel is an easy choice as well
if it's worn out.

I will take it apart tonight and see what I find. I should say that once you mentioned that, the safety can slip (not easily but if you tried to move it from fire to safe without the weapon being charged you could probably force it. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Well, I am not educated enough on the internals to figure out why it was misbehaving. Everything seemed okay on the surface but the select fire slips so I am guessing it has to do with that.

I ended up dropping it off to a gunsmith at Bill's Gunshop downtown...

I had the same problem and there was a burr in the channel the detent rides in on the safety/selector.
Some how it had gotten rough and some metal actually got up into the hole the detent recedes into in the receiver, to further complicate matters.
It wasn't readily apparent unless you did a close inspection.
I replaced the safety and cleaned and lubed the hole the detent recedes into and I had no more problems.
The selector was factory Armalite but it must not have been machined and heat-treated properly.

Had a simular issue with a ar. Replaced the grip with a magpul.
Found out the grip screw was a few thousands too long. took a dremil to the screw. Ground the end a bit and problem gone. Seems the screw was hitting the bottom of the trigger assmbly.

Thanks for the tips guys. Sonic, I already dropped off the rifle, so I will see what the gunsmith comes up with. I'm sure he will figure it out pretty quick, but if not I will be sure to give you a call.

I'll post the end result for anyone who is curious.

Thanks again all.