• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 mags in a 700?

willsnipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2006
dry side of WA (Spokane, area)
It may not be the brightest idea, but in the interest of making everything interchangable, has anyone tried feeding a 700 from AR-10 mags? Is anyone out there building bottom metal to allow it?

Re: AR-10 mags in a 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may not be the brightest idea, but in the interest of making everything interchangable, has anyone tried feeding a 700 from AR-10 mags? Is anyone out there building bottom metal to allow it? </div></div>

I'm sure it is possible, there is a guy from the UK on ar15.com who got his 700 to work with M14 mags. Armalite AR10s use a modified M14 mag so I guess it comes down to how good you are at fabrication/custom work.

Mcmillan did it years ago with m14 mags it did'nt catch on I don't know for what reason.

robar used to do it.

but stopped, they said because of labor involved.

Of course the conversion cost around $700

On the M14 mags:

a notch has to be milled out of the bottom of the reciever, You have to be a pig not a chicken on that deal.

most people dont care about chopping up a stock to make shit fit, but milling the reciever makes one think twice.

I wantted to use M14 mags when converting a savage to a DBM but the reason above pushed us to the AICS mag.

The mag release would probably be an issue, as it releases from the side like an AR-15. The M-14 mag would be a better choice I think since the mag release would require less modification to the stock. M-14 mags can also be found significantly cheaper than AR-10 mags.

Another issue to consider is the opening on the Remington action itself. I don't have mine apart right now to check, but I'm pretty sure the action would require some opening up to accept the double stack mag of the M-14/AR-10. Depending on the amount of metal removed, this could compromise the rigidity of the receiver enough to affect accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FMJBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mag release would probably be an issue, as it releases from the side like an AR-15.

Another issue to consider is the opening on the Remington action itself. I don't have mine apart right now to check, but I'm pretty sure the action would require some opening up to accept the double stack mag of the M-14/AR-10. Depending on the amount of metal removed, this could compromise the rigidity of the receiver enough to affect accuracy. </div></div>

I think I have the release figured out. I'll share the drawings IF it works.
grin.gif

Opening up the receiver is an issue I hadn't thought of, and in retrospect explains the design of some of the existing detachable magazine systems. I'm not TOO put off by it though. IMHO, structural rigidity behind the lug area is overemphasized. You can torque a Savage action out of shape with your bare hands, and they undeniably shoot well.

Back to the drawing board. I still think it's doable. Any input on other obstacles to overcome is greatly appreciated. It will save me a lot of trial and error.

I did the mod to one of my rem shortys, M14 mags, years ago.

I also did a slight mod to the feed lip config, that was easy.

I believe that the cost to mod the rcvrs is why it never caught on, that is why we don't offer a stock for this mod.

I still run the action, using AI mags. Once you make the rcvr mod, you can never go back. She'll never be an ADL/BDL again.

my .02

1000YARDS+ WOW!!! & PM sent, w/best regards to a neighbor.

To all, if anything comes of this madness, I will share 100%. I'm not SSK!
grin.gif
Not that I have anything against J.D. (he's a good guy) I'm just in a position to appreciate the folly (IMHO) of thinking in those terms today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FMJBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mag release would probably be an issue, as it releases from the side like an AR-15.

Another issue to consider is the opening on the Remington action itself. I don't have mine apart right now to check, but I'm pretty sure the action would require some opening up to accept the double stack mag of the M-14/AR-10. Depending on the amount of metal removed, this could compromise the rigidity of the receiver enough to affect accuracy. </div></div>

I think I have the release figured out. I'll share the drawings IF it works.
grin.gif

Opening up the receiver is an issue I hadn't thought of, and in retrospect explains the design of some of the existing detachable magazine systems. I'm not TOO put off by it though. IMHO, structural rigidity behind the lug area is overemphasized. You can torque a Savage action out of shape with your bare hands, and they undeniably shoot well.

Back to the drawing board. I still think it's doable. Any input on other obstacles to overcome is greatly appreciated. It will save me a lot of trial and error. </div></div>

IIRC, factory DBM set-ups have most of the feed lips removed/milled out in the action....
I think if you replicated that, it would allow the mag feed lips to rise up into the action enough to work....