• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 MFG ?'s

rescueswimmer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2007
STL, MO
I have a question for you guys. Getting ready to purchase my first AR-10 More than likely it will be from the guys over at GAP. If this does not happen I would like some honoest feedback on the differences between the DPMS and Armalite.

I know about the magazines and some of the other minute differences, but If somebody could give me a comparison of one over the other. I don't want to start a flame war

I read the articles over at arf.com, and if your an Armalite guy then flame everything else it seems, and if your anything else, its good and Armalite sucks.

So please if you have experience with either one or both I would like your feedback and some +, and - of both. Thanks RS

Re: AR-10 MFG ?'s

thanks for the update, im on their wait list though, and would like to hash out the details for when the time comes

I have had both and one wasn't much different that the other. For factory rifles that is. The only thing I like better about DPMS is there are more accessories available for it than the Armalite. That is why I went with the DPMS over the Armalite. Just my 2 cents worth.

I purchased an Armalite AR-10t on the hide several months back. I was thinking about buying one from GAP myself. Here's a few things I noticed before I made my dicision. What platform is GAP using? Armalite. To me that speaks volumes. And price, I found my AR-10 for under 2K and didn't have to wait 6 months or longer to get it. From first hand experiance my armalite will shoot 3/4 to 1/2 moa with 175 hpbt seirras and 42 grains of reloader 15 all day long. I've been told that varget is even better. Well that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck with the purchase.

I've shot lots of DPMS LR-308's and SASS and all have run very well and have been very accurate. A buddy of mine has a stock LR-308 that he bought used that is probably the best shooting .308 gas gun I've ever shot.

I've had limited experience with Armalite guns, but they also seem well made and shoot well.

If it matters, IIRC, DPMS mags are cheaper and easier to get your hands on.

I've currently got a Larue OSR on order, but who the hell knows when they'll ship. I ordered in November of last year the second day they were available, and the date keeps getting pushed back. That being said, I have 2 complete LaRue ar's and the workmanship and quality is by far the best I've seen for an AR platform. I have to assume the LaRue .308 gas gun will be the same high quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate's Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What platform is GAP using? Armalite. To me that speaks volumes. </div></div>

Not 100% true. On the Ga Precision web-site when you click on Precision AR-10 the rifle shown is a DPMS.

So with your posting whats up with that?

I have found both systems are great. No brand in better than the other except Knights. The SR-25 / M110 line of rifles SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M110's braking bolts, SR-25's 2-3 MOA with/without the can so on and so on.

John

I stand corrected. When I was going to purchase an AR-10 from GAP, I was under the understanding that egale arms or armalite loweres were all they offered. I see now that dpms is available. Again I'm not trying to bash dpms. I'm sure they are quality firearm. I simply have never had the chance to use one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate's Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand corrected. When I was going to purchase an AR-10 from GAP, I was under the understanding that egale arms or armalite loweres were all they offered. I see now that dpms is available. Again I'm not trying to bash dpms. I'm sure they are quality firearm. I simply have never had the chance to use one. </div></div>

I have shot both, factory and built by GAP.

I like both, as a matter of fact I see no real difference between the two.

When I build one my decision we will based on what parts I can box up and send to GAP.

Be it a DPMS or a Armalite.

Both are great brands for this type of SWS.

John

Thanks for the input, Still looking! Pretty much what I have found is you have people on both sides of the fence and the other group in the middle.

The guys at GAP were stating Armalite has supperior quality control, but there mag setup is not allways reliable, but are getting it figured out. They can squeeze the same MOA out of both rifles, though. So I probably can find a new DPMS alot cheaper than an armalite, DPMS mags are more readily available from what I have been told, Armalite does have the special on mags now though.

i own an armalite super sass and i love it, great shooter and reliable. The mag availibility issue kinda irks me sometimes. But overall i am very happy with my armalite. As far as DPMS i cant comment because i have never had the oppurtunity to play with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input, Still looking! Pretty much what I have found is you have people on both sides of the fence and the other group in the middle.

The guys at GAP were stating Armalite has supperior quality control, but there mag setup is not allways reliable, but are getting it figured out. They can squeeze the same MOA out of both rifles, though. So I probably can find a new DPMS alot cheaper than an armalite, DPMS mags are more readily available from what I have been told, Armalite does have the special on mags now though. </div></div>

How about this idea.

Lower
<span style="font-weight: bold">IRA lower</span>

upper
<span style="font-weight: bold">DPMS LR-308 A3 upper</span>

Trigger
<span style="font-weight: bold">JP Rifles</span>

A Handguard.

<span style="font-weight: bold">DD lite 12.0</span>

Place it all in a box, send it off and gap can do the rest. Thats how I plan on doing mine.

John

Looking to do something like that but, sending that its about a year wait. vs about 6 months if you can send a host rifle. but Im pricing it out both ways to see what works out the best.

I'm trying to find an upper that is new or lightly used since your going to be ditching the barrel anyway.

I just had a whole brand new upper built for my DPMS 308 by a friend of mine. I got a brand new A3 upper with forward assist and dust cover, and had a Rock 5R barrel installed on it. The hadguard I used was the badger ordinance Free float tactical handguard just like GAP uses on their rifles, and run a Magpul PRS stock.

I prefer the Armalite. The DPMS is an excellent value-for-the-dollar but I am not enamored with extrusions vice forgings. Both will give excellent accuracy and service once gone over by George's crew.

You might want to look at the Larue OSR that should be out in numbers by the end of the summer. You'll get an excellent turnkey out-of-the-box value -- just add bullets.

I really like POF AR10s. Im thinking of building me a AR10 here soon using a DPMS AP4 upper and a SI Defence HK91 mag lower....
http://www.sonju.net/

Anyone have an opinion on the Bushmaster AR-10s? Talk about a loaded question on this forum...

I have a Bushmaster AR-10 carbine and have been planning on doing some mods to it including new trigger, free-floating rail handguard, and barrel so I am curious as to why I don't hear much about them. Someone told me they stopped making them but I haven't looked into that statement myself yet.

Bushmaster did discontinue the BAR-10 because it was having issues. RRA bought the design and now markets it again.

This is a pretty good read. Please keep sharing experiences with the two platforms if you have them.
I started another topic asking a similar question. It appears I was a bit redundent to this thread. Thanks!

You can add us to the list in a few months
smile.gif

I own a GAP dpms build and love it. RRA uses FAL mags, that would be an interesting build.

I have had and sold both a factory armalite ar10t and a factory, lr 308. I have always been partial to dpms. When their lr308 line came out you could get them for way cheaper then an armalite ar10t. The both shot about the same to me, but now my gap trumps them both.