• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 Pistol Grip Problem

bassfishindoc

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2011
The Hills of East TN
Hey everybody. I am working on building an AR-10. I have an Armalite lower and purchased the two-stage trigger kit for it, which came with a standard A2 pistol grip. My problem is that I have installed the grip and gotten the screw tight, but when I grip the pistol grip I can rock it back and forth. I don't know why this is happening or how to fix it. The screw is as tight as it is going to go. I didn't forget to install the washer. Has anybody experienced this before or have any advice as to what the problem could be? Thanks!

Re: AR-10 Pistol Grip Problem

You may want to go to the hardware store and get a shorter one. Sounds like it is bottoming out. While you're there, I would replace it with a hex screw instead of the flat-head (10x easier to install).

It actually came with a hex screw, looking at it I think you are right about it being too long, although that seems weird that the armalite screw would be too long for the armalite receiver and armalite grip. Would Lowes carry the proper type of screw or will I have to try somewhere else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could cut the screw down a few threads too. </div></div>

You can do this fairly easily as long as you have some way to chase/clean-up the threads after you cut the bolt down. I have not done it with an AR pistol grip screw, but heaven knows it isn't that hard to do and it works well.

If not that, then your local Fastenal (or maybe a general hardware store if you are lucky...my local Ace has hex head cap screws in the right size) will have what you need. Tell them you need a 1/4x28TPI screw (as for the length, factory is around 7/8" to 1" long...can't remember which specifically off the top of my head...so you will want to go down to around 3/4" in length would be my guess).

Good luck!

Hex head screws are easier to install, no doubt, but if it comes loose in the field a flat head screw driver is much easier to find than a long hex driver. I know, they never come loose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a washer on your screw and run it.</div></div>
Yeah, this is definitely worth repeating.

i try to find a nut to put on it and then cut it and bevel the edges and then run the nut off and on. washers, a nut, id say anything but you just cant say that anymore, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a washer on your screw and run it.</div></div>

Go with Jon and Sean on this one.

Most likely there is some crap down in the hole in the lower from manufacturing/finishing.

Clean it out real well and try again with the bolt that came with it.

Hey thanks for all the advice. I went to Lowes and got a small nut that fit over the screw. Installed it with the screw and tightened it down, and now, no more wobble. Thanks again, I can't wait to shoot it, then I can post pics and a range report!

Here's a method I use to shorten a bolt and avoid screwing up the threads. You need a grinder and a drill. The bolt has to be a design that can be secured in a drill chuck such as a hex head mentioned.

Chuck the screw / bolt, threads out.
Run the grinder. Run the drill.
Make contact with the end of the screw/bolt and the grinder wheel at a slight angle to prevent vibrations. The grinder can be a disc sander.

Finish the threads with the screw still in the chuck, holding 400 grit paper against the end threads enough to smooth them up. A dob of motor oil might help and won't hurt.