• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 platform vs M14 mechanical comparison.

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Almost have myself talked into needing a 308 gas gun. I have done many searches and read up on both the AR-10 (Stoner) and M14 (M1A) platforms.

Seems that there are varied opinions on the subject and many are given with no substantial technical reasoning. So my question is not which is preferred for reasons relating to cost, familiarity, or anything else of a subjective nature but rather from a mechanical and design standpoint which is better and most importantly why.

I have had the opportunity to get behind 2 308 AR’s but neither was in full precision dress, just basic Armalite and DPMS rifles. I have never owned an M1A myself however my father has two that I kidnap with frequency one a scout the other a NM Loaded SA. I have also been behind many very built up 14’s. In either case I consider myself to be very familiar with the operation and design of both platforms. From a mechanical standpoint I have a difficult time seeing the Stoner as a better design IF compared to an updated M14. By updated I mean we address the stock bedding issue by using a Sage, Troy or JAE stock and a LRB receiver for scope mounting considerations.

Serious discussion and insight as to why one is better than the other is what I’m interested in here, I keep visualizing the firing sequence of both rifles as well as the assembly of the major components. For me I can’t help but think that a barrel screwed into a steel receiver would be the superior of the two when compared to a steel barrel held into an aluminum receiver with an aluminum barrel nut. Also the two piece design of the AR’s upper and lower compared to a receiver solidly mounted into a chassis style stock doesn’t seem advantageous either.

Accuracy of the M1A is something I never seriously doubt. The majority of shooting I have done with the 14 is with iron sights and I don’t find it difficult to maintain 1.5-2” groups at 100 with just a sling for support. The 308 AR’s I shot were holding 1-1.5” at 100 off a bench and bipod. Ill admit right now that the last time I fired a 308 AR I had a lot to learn about driving an AR and would say I have improved in that area in the last three years. Just wanted to be fair with the comparison by saying my recollection of the AR-10’s accuracy could be improved if I were to shoot one today.

Well that’s about all I can think of for now. Looking forward to getting some solid info from the knowledge base here, as always thanks for taking the time to share what you know.

A.S.

Re: AR-10 platform vs M14 mechanical comparison.

You know I couldn't decide either, so now I have precision rifles of both designs. I hope to do a shoot-out between the two fairly soon.

Now thats a shoot out that will require lots of pics and a detailed report.

You nailed both platforms I'm considering. Love the 14 always have but I also have a KAC IWS that needs a big brother. The 14 is exactly what I had in mind as well.

The AR is a more versital platform. You could have several uppers for one lower. Scope mounting is easier on an AR reciever. There are more aftermarket parts available for the AR.However, do I think the AR is better than the M1A? No it is not. I personally prefer the M1A over the AR10.
8yu7gp.jpg

Depending on what your end game is, both have weak an strong points. If your looking for a weekend stick think AR10,...if other wise then M14 all the way.
Yes Uncle issued a few real AR10's, (along time back) The 10's had the "C" charging piece in between the rear site bar/carry handle, an was a bitch to pull with one finger. It had no way to fully battery the weapon if needed. If a round was stuck 1/2 way in you now had a club, until you had time to clear it w/ a stick, belt, knife, ect. The first M16's (not A1's) the USAF AP's had, were better because you could at least kick the charging handle, or bang it against something to clear the weapon.
The go switch would dump a mag at the moon, unless you knew the steps to prevent such, just like the 14's. It was lighter than todays 10's but not by much, IIRC.

I've been M14 from 1964, an the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, keeps me M14e2.
Had the AR10's worked better back when, who knows, as I only have weekend time with todays 10's an they seem to be much better than back when.

I bought my AR for what it's being best for and that's 223 from 0 to 300 meters (16"). My M1A is a standard issue 308 to reach out and touch things better and harder, then if I have to go farther I have my 700P 300 win mag. Anything after that, I'll be calling in air strikes or artillery. :~)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally prefer the M1A over the AR10.
</div></div>

I once owned a sweet AR-10A4 SPR (20" medium weight barrel with SWS rail)
I also had a complete 16" carbine upper plus Gen II mags from CMI.

I sold the entire AR-10 package to fund another MK14 SEI build... no regrets.

MK14SEI_1.JPG

H2Os-SuppressedMK14SEIMod0.jpg

AR-10 Pros: 1. Easier to work on yourself 2. Better option for mounting glass 3. Modular 4. More accessrois available for it 5. Ultra accurate

M14 Pros: 1. Ultra relaible 2. Ultra reliable 3. Can be very accurate 4.Great sights. 5. Ultra reliable

AR-10 Cons: 1.Magazine availability 2. Mag price

M14 Cons: 1. The need for USGI parts if you want to make sure you have the best 2.

I like both but since I was trained on the Stoners it's what Ilike and they tend to be more accurate then most semis. This....

SSRRA046.jpg

Will do this...unsurpressed damn near all day long at 100 yards...

DSC00096.jpg

Will do this surpressed damn near all day long at 100 yards...

Orona049.jpg

the AR-10 is easier to make accurate. Although you can make the M14 just as accurate, it takes a lot more work. However, the M14 is much more reliable.

Go with the M14