• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 questions, new to the hide, seeking advise

travis.cooley

Minuteman
May 14, 2011
Valdosta, Georgia
Hello all,

I've been reading the hide for quite a while, couple of years, and decided to join and actively participate. I just bought an Armalite Ar-10 a4 national match with 20" stainless steel barrel. I need some help big time with recommendations. I'm guessing the trigger is going to be sub par, so I was looking at a Timney. Is this the right way to go, will it drop in, etc? I'm also looking at the ACE Hammer buttstock and a couple of the magpuls. Does anyone have any experience (looking for positive to help decide what direction to go) with any buttstocks that work well in this platform. I've decided on the Troy industries DOA flip ups, and I have a trijicon ta33-9 acog for it. Hope I went the right way with that. Please barrage with feedback! Thanks!

Re: AR-10 questions, new to the hide, seeking advise

Also, to clarify, would like to be able to run the rifle offhand and from a bench. Not only a bench gun. I am thinking about a SJC Titan 308 brake as well. I have seen a lot of good feedback on the efficiency of it. Need advice on this too. Thanks again!

Don't think you have to go with a drop in trigger to be able to install it. Geissele's or others are very simple to install with a punch and basically following the included instructions.

The stocks are personal preference, but with that long of a barrel I would recommend a fixed like a standard or PRS. You'll need to give it some balance by putting weight in the rear. UBRs are nice if you want the collapsible feature. Think practical to your shooting, not driving a tent peg into the ground.

Welcome and enjoy!

After shooting mine yesterday with a Harris Bipod I have decided I need a Magpul PRS, the original A2 stock is too short for me and I can also see the benefits of the adjustable cheek. Can't find one in stock around me and I go back to the sandbox on Wednesday, guess I'll have to mail order one and try it when I get home this September.

thanks for the advice fellas.....sounds like good advice......is the PRS too heavy to shoot offhand, or does it balance out pretty well? I'm looking at collapsible stocks like the magpul acs and ubr, and that hammer. You think those are too light to shoot offhand with that 20 inch tube? It isn't the T version with the bull barrel, but the national match, .750 diameter I think, 1 inch under handguard tapering to .875 under the gas block....what do ya think?

On the trigger, I hear Geissele is a great trigger, but I also they're a bear to install and tune, and I have zero experience with this type of platform. I saw a self contained unit like the timney 670, and it looked appealing. it would help compensate for my lack of experience as long as the quality and performance is good, experience meaning working on the trigger, not shooting, shoot pretty well....lol.

I have a Geissle in mine, it can't get any better. It only took a few min to install. And on another note I think the barrel is just to heavey for offhand shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Bean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the advice fellas.....sounds like good advice......is the PRS too heavy to shoot offhand, or does it balance out pretty well? I'm looking at collapsible stocks like the magpul acs and ubr, and that hammer. You think those are too light to shoot offhand with that 20 inch tube? It isn't the T version with the bull barrel, but the national match, .750 diameter I think, 1 inch under hand guard tapering to .875 under the gas block....what do ya think? </div></div>

I can shoot mine offhand but it is a hand full. the heavy barrel, full floating hand guards, Scope, and the bipod make it front heavy, it shoots better off a rest of some sort or the bipod. Just shooting it through my Crony yesterday wasn't fun.

You'll want a bipod for sure but other than that you'll need to shoot it to figure out what you want. As far as shooting it offhand goes good luck they aren't light.

edit: if you're mainly target shooting you'll want more scope than a 3X ACOG. If you're a fan of lower-mag optics I'd say look for something 2.5-10, if you are the more mag the better type than look at something with 15-20 on the top end.

I have had the same rifle. It is barrel heavy with a STD A2 buttstock. I thought the magpul helped it balance out well. I would also recomend the geissele trigger, but if you have an Armalite NM trigger then you might not need a trigger upgrade as of yet. I found their trigger to be quite good. If you would like to shoot long rangei would add an atlas bipod. Also, take the money you saved on upgrading the trigger and buy a stater reloading kit.

I don't know about the AR10, but I use a WOA upper on my service rifle. It was quite muzzle heavy for offhand so I weighted the stock to balance it out just infront of the mag well. Now its great for offhand. Sucker weighs 13 lbs though.

Thanks to all of you guys for the good advice on all of this stuff. I will look at it closer when the gun comes in here in a day or two. I picked up a daniel defense m4v4 too, so if this thing is a little heavy for offhand, I have a rifle that will excel at it. Thanks again fellas

I have a Armalite AR10T and really like it. I had to send it back shortly after purchasing it because it wouldnt group, they rebarreled it.

Armalite guarnatees that the "T" model will shoot 5 rds at one MOA at 200 yrds with match ammo. I am fairly sure they also do the same with the NM model.

That being said, before you do any upgrades i.e. modular handguards, muzzle device, trigger, etc. Make sure that it does as they say it will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Bean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the advice fellas.....sounds like good advice......is the PRS too heavy to shoot offhand, or does it balance out pretty well? I'm looking at collapsible stocks like the magpul acs and ubr, and that hammer. You think those are too light to shoot offhand with that 20 inch tube? It isn't the T version with the bull barrel, but the national match, .750 diameter I think, 1 inch under handguard tapering to .875 under the gas block....what do ya think? </div></div>

I too opted out of the PRS because of the weight issue. Ended up with a CTR which I think is a good choice. It locks tight with no wiggle and if you decide you want an Accu-Shot Monopod in the rear to compliment your Harris bipod in the front, you can buy a LaRue POD which fits on the CTR stock that will let you mount the Accu-Shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Bean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the advice fellas.....sounds like good advice......is the PRS too heavy to shoot offhand, or does it balance out pretty well? I'm looking at collapsible stocks like the magpul acs and ubr, and that hammer. You think those are too light to shoot offhand with that 20 inch tube? It isn't the T version with the bull barrel, but the national match, .750 diameter I think, 1 inch under handguard tapering to .875 under the gas block....what do ya think? </div></div>

I'm shooting an18" braked Les Baer "Monolith" .308 which is stocked with a PRS. Its a pretty heavy rifle: Monolith frame, heavy barrel, NF NXS 5.5X22, Atlas pod. I find the PRS counterbalances the front of the rifle nicely and moves the center of gravity away from the muzzle. In my opinion the whole rifle is a bit heavy to be comfortable offhand; the PRS enhances the position, and I have no trouble standing. In addition the stock's adjustability makes supported shooting much easier and greatly assists with optimizing eye relief and sight picture.

Agree with the Geissele: I've got the HDM two stage on this rifle (actually on all my ARs). Love it.

If you can go for both; you'll not regret it.

Thanks again for more solid advice. I think the prs is going to get the vote, maybe something different, but i'll definitely look at the geissele triggers. I have also heard that the two stage national match trigger in the rifle is pretty solid. I'll give it a good run before I mess with it. Thanks again guys,

Bean