• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 Small Base Dies ?

Re: AR 10 Small Base Dies ?

I had to use them in mine, but still had problems. I was told that the Forster dies were the one to use.

I used a 'old" set of Lyman dies worked perfect, no problems, went and bought a set of RCBS small base dies for my DPMS LAR 308 had at least 8 rounds that would not fire, I had the dies set all the way touching the sell holed on full stroke of the press, I'm going to try one more time, to see if I can get a little more out of the dies if not I will be going back to the old Lymans and sell the RCBS

My LR308 does fine with regular FLS, but you must run the ALL the way in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randy Billings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a 'old" set of Lyman dies worked perfect, no problems, went and bought a set of RCBS small base dies for my DPMS LAR 308 had at least 8 rounds that would not fire, I had the dies set all the way touching the sell holed on full stroke of the press, I'm going to try one more time, to see if I can get a little more out of the dies if not I will be going back to the old Lymans and sell the RCBS </div></div>

Usually you want to get the headspace within a range of 0.005"
Often the dies do not fall into that range.

When this is acheived, there is almost never any need for the use of small base resizing dies.
They only squeeze the body of the case down around 0.001" more and your brass gets worked more during reuse.

You can file, or dremel 0.005" off the bottom of the die easily.
The you can start bumping your case shoulders until your bolt chambers a round that does not need a lot of force to extract by hand.
(Not for carbide dies)
The resizing dies need to be set perfectly, and probably more than half of all reloaders improperly resize their cases with respect to proper headspace.