• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10-T ammo/reliability question

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
Hey guys, I have a question about the ar10t rifle . I've read how Armalite's NM rifles have issues with the lighter bullets because the gas system was set up for heavier rounds. I'm just wondering will the ar10t rifle fire reliabley with 147gr ammo. I have a bunch of surplus South African, and my reloads, which consist of 145 gr Privi bullets with a stout charge of wcc 846, that I would like to shoot . I would like to stay with the ar10t because of the inherrent accuracy, instead of going with the regular ar10-a4 rifle. Thanks.

Re: AR-10-T ammo/reliability question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steeltex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline">I'm just wondering will the ar10t rifle fire reliabley with 147gr ammo. I have a bunch of surplus South African, and my reloads, which consist of 145 gr Privi bullets</span> with a stout charge of wcc 846, that I would like to shoot . <span style="text-decoration: underline">I would like to stay with the ar10t because of the inherrent accuracy, instead of going with the regular ar10-a4 rifle.</span> Thanks. </div></div>

Life is full of those damn frustrating contradictions isn't it!?!?

First off...the AR-10T rifles were built for accuracy using match ammo (Armalite specifically recommends FGMM 168gr, BH 168gr, Military M118LR, and M852 and other "quality match ammunition"...but ammo ranging in weight from 150gr to 175gr is what they specifically recommended). This is a TARGET rifle and was not built/designed to shoot crap ammo, including SA surplus (or other foreign mil surplus ball ammo). While you MAY be able to get the ammo to function in the rifle, your larger goal of "inherent accuracy" is completely frustrated by the use of that ammo as you'll quickly turn a sub-MOA capable rifle into nothing more than what you could achieve with that exact same ammo in the basic AR-10A4 (approx. 3MOA or maybe less if you get a good lot). Putting shit ammo in a precision semi-auto rifle is no different than putting regular unleaded (87 Octane) in a Ferrari. Will it run...probably. Will it run well...hell no!! Will it perform like it should without causing mass frustration and possible damage to itself...NO!

To add further to the problem with accuracy, SA surplus ammo is just not a good option for the 10T. Of all the different ammo on the market, Armalite specifically recommends AGAINST SA surplus because of reliability issues across the board in its rifles due to inconsistencies with the ammo, huge variances in specs between lots, etc., etc. Now...your reloads are a whole different ball game and as you are hopefully aware...not all reloads are created equally! With some time, some small base dies, some work on your load, it is POSSIBLE that you can get your 145gr reloads to function in the rifle and get somewhat more acceptable accuracy versus the surplus (assuming you are buying the PRVI bullets new and not pulled).

Second, what specifically do you want to do with the rifle in question? Is it going to be a long-range target rifle? Hunting? What ranges are you looking to cover? Basically...what all do you envision needing from the rifle. I ask because while I love and recommend the Armalite 10T rifles because of their accuracy potential, reliability, etc., they are not always the best option for every shooter under every circumstance.

Re: AR-10-T ammo/reliability question

I see what your saying about now using the full potential of the ar10 t when surplus is ran threw it. I do load 155 amax's and nosler hpbt for my bolt guns, so I would have loads the that would be to the ar10t liking. I guess I was just more inquiring about it's ability to function when ran surplus in it. Because, yeah, I would like to have a gun that will do sub-moa with the right loads, but also want that gun to atleast still function with surplus if I had to shoot it. Not really concerning my self if all it does is 3-4 moa with the surplus or my fmj reloads. Thanks.