• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 vs LR-308 Barrels

TrapperSGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
NW Arkansas
I have an AR-10 that does not shoot real well and am considering replacing the thin chrome lined barrel. What are my options? What is the difference between the LR-308 and AR-10 barrel? Some people say that the only difference is the gas system length and others say that they are not compatible at all.

Re: AR-10 vs LR-308 Barrels

No there are other differences ~ armalite vs dpms.
Differences are mags, bolts, barrels.
You cannot mix or match.
Both are popular so pick one and stick with it.
Most of the more accurate barrels are stainless steel and are not chrome lined.
YMMV

The barrels should fit in theory, however, the barrel extensions will be different and they are a huge pain in the ass to change out. As stated above, get a Noveske. You can't go wrong with one. Another option is a Krieger M110 barrel. Rainier Arms also sometimes stocks aftermarket Armalite pattern barrels.

If the problem you are trying to address is that your Ar10 barrel "does not shoot real well ", why are you looking in the direction of a chrome lined barrel? There most likely isn't a huge difference in accuracy, but chrome lining is genearally thought to have a negative impact on accuracy.

Anyway, DPMS pattern barrels will require a slightly shorter gas tube, but will attatch to the AR10 upper just fine. I have heard that you may find a very small difference in headspace when pairing an AR10 bolt with a DPMS barrel though.

My guess opinion is that if you have an AR10 upper and bolt you are better served by mating it with an AR10 pattern barrel.

What do you mean by doesn't shoot real well ? Are you the original owner of the AR10 ? Has it been a inaccurate rifle from new ? Armalite has outstanding customer service and if the barrel is not shot out you could call them and see if they will take a look at it for you . as a rule Atmalite chrome lined barrels are prety accurate to begin with. It may be worth a call to Armalite ,and see what they say . FYI my 20 inch chrome lined AR10 holds moa with good ammo .