• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10 work, GAP or??

dmachine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2004
RI
I want to send an AR-10 upper in to have a new barrel and forarm put on, and maybe a camo job. I want a 16" barrel, med. heavy, that will shoot sub moa. (At least out to 300 yards.) Is GAP my best bet, or is there another way to go?
I would love to see your AR-10 camo job's as well. Thank you.

Re: AR-10 work, GAP or??

Can't go wrong with GA Precision. Great work and turn around times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go wrong with GA Precision. Great work and turn around times. </div></div>

Are they back up to speed on AR builds as well?

Have to ask George that. I just shoot them. I Don't build them LOL
wink.gif

GA did a .243 for me a few months back, great shooting stick. Last I heard, they were still doing AR10 style rifles but not AR15's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to send an AR-10 upper in to have a new barrel and forarm put on, and maybe a camo job. I want a 16" barrel, med. heavy, that will shoot sub moa. (At least out to 300 yards.) Is GAP my best bet, or is there another way to go?
I would love to see your AR-10 camo job's as well. Thank you. </div></div>The barrel swap is realy not that difficult or complicated. One of the nice things about the AR platform. Armalite has a heavy Lothar Walther barrel that they use on their 16" SASS gun that you can get from Tom at www.762sass. Depending on what handguard you use, you may end up either using the original barrel nut or one that comes with the handguard, like the SWS E1 rail. Buy a qualiity armorer's wrench, and if you have a 4" vise, you can change the barrel yourself. One thing I do when I do a re-barrel is check the front of the upper receiver for true. If it's not, I makae it so. Now the camo...that's a horse of a different color...or several different colors...LOL

I crack me up.

OK...sorry...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GA did a .243 for me a few months back, great shooting stick. Last I heard, they were still doing AR10 style rifles but not AR15's. </div></div>

I sent in my AR10 to be chambered in 243 with all the needed parts about 3 weeks ago. Looking forward to getting it back to see what it can do compared to a 243 bolt gun. What bullet / twist rate are you shooting?

I would trust GAP to do the work. My experience has been very positive with them and I don't think you are going to read a bad post on them.

Call Kerry over there and talk to him. He is a very pleasant guy to deal with.

GAP it is. I kinda figured that anyway.

As for biulding it myself, I usually do. But when I'm going for the "gold", I want someone that can do every little detail to make sure it can shoot as well as it can. (And I suck at camo!)

Does anyone know how good those LaRue upper's are? If they are pretty good, do they fit the AR-10? (Armalite)

Got my DPMS AR10 from GAP, awesome rifle, I would send it to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my DPMS AR10 from GAP, awesome rifle, I would send it to them. </div></div>

They did mine also. GA ROOCKS.

Does anyone have an email address where I could contact someone at GA Precision? I don't want the contact page off their website, I'd like a direct address if anyone has it. Thanks.

What all is done to customise an AR type rifle, other than custom barrel and chamber? Do they square them up or true them per say? The AR seems like a snap together type of rifle and i always wondered what a builder does to accurize one. Just curious! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What all is done to customise an AR type rifle, other than custom barrel and chamber? Do they square them up or true them per say? The AR seems like a snap together type of rifle and i always wondered what a builder does to accurize one. Just curious! Lee </div></div>One thing I always check is the fornt of the upper receiver where the barrel seats to make sure it's square with the c/l of the BGG. I also install oversized pins and fit the upper and lower with as little play as possibe, but not sure how that effects accuracy. Being in CA I've had to fit Armalite uppers to Aero Precision lowers, and all have been very good parts. A good barrel, chamber, headspce, and trigger all make a difference in accuracty. I agree...the AR platform is very modular, but it still has it's quirks. GAP also seems to like the Badger handguard, and I've always wondered if there was a particular reason. I've pretty much settled on the SWS E1 rail for my builds.