• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10's & heavy bullets

elk addict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
bozeangeles, mt
I'm looking to get into a short/mid range elk rifle & so far I'm leaning toward a lightweight AR 10 in either 308 (with 200 grain partitions), or maybe a 338 federal (200-225 grain bullets). Before I go crazy with it I figured I'd be wise to find out how many of you have experience with either of these combinations & what I should expect from each of them.

My concerns:
Muzzle velocity- how much do you lose in the real world?
Recoil- is it hard to keep sight of the target?
Cycling- jams? Feeding issues? Etc
Accuracy- not looking to go past 500, but it's nice to group small

Thanks!

Re: AR 10's & heavy bullets

168-175 amax work super!!! unless your trying to pierce a block, or take a moose then stay in the 170's your FPS with a gas gun of course is less than the bolt's and the heavy pills dont preform as well with them

My .02$

Built my elk smasher with an Armalite 300 SAUM so I could hammer the prairie beast with the 185-210 bullets.
I'm currently sending 190 VLDs at around 2920fps.
Now, if I could only draw a tag.

I don't think heavy bullets would be required but proper bullet selection absolutely would be. I'd recommend Barnes bullets. They even have a factory load.

Barnes Vor-Tex 168grn TTSX

My son (8yo) uses their 85grn .243 on whitetail, and it's devistating. I'd try the .308 on Elk without hesitation.