• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-10s, reloading, and torn up brass

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
As soon as I get back from deployment, I plan on getting myself a Rock Chucker press and start reloading rifle and pistol ammo. I also plan on getting a shiny custom AR-10 built. I know that reloading for semi-autos is a bit more constaining because of OAL issues with the magazine and pressure issues for cycling. I'm completely OK with keeping my handloads to standard length and standard pressure.

My only issue is, is the brass going to be so torn up that I will only get 1 or 2 uses out of brass? It seems that if I really want shoot a lot, and therefore reload lots of 308 for practice, that I want something that will be at least marginally brass friendly. What are your thoughts? Will a custom AR-10 handle brass any differently than a mass produced rifle?

Re: AR-10s, reloading, and torn up brass

My friend has a DPMS LR-308, and I don't see any reason why it'd be that hard on brass. The AR-15 really isn't; I see no reason why the .308 big brother should be, either.

With an AR10 normally the brass will get dented from hitting the brass deflector. Shorten the ejector spring to alter the ejection pattern a bit and stick a piece of velcro or two on the deflector no more dents.

Ahhh, I was thinking that the 308 Win match chamber might be making extraction difficult. I didn't think the deflector would dent them that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, I was thinking that the 308 Win match chamber might be making extraction difficult. I didn't think the deflector would dent them that much. </div></div>

The AR10 with a sane load should get you just as many reloads as a bolt gun. I loose them faster than my brass fail's.

That's really good to know. I'm going the AR-10 route because I wanted to get a gas gun now before the ban and with the rifles GAP and APA are making, I'm not sacrificing much in accuracy. This will be my first foray into reloading and I know that 308 is a fairly good cartridge to practice reloading. I'm holding off on a bolt gun until my shooting and reloading are pretty solid, and then dropping the cash on a 338LM. That's the plan, anyway.

I have a DPMS SASS 308. I changed the VLTOR stock and my springs and the SASS was eating brass (not destroying it but making it very rough) I sent it GAP for rebarreling and had them work on the spring issue as well. As it turned out I put the wrong spring in the SASS. (dumb amateur at work
grin.gif
) When I got it back from GAP I took it to the range and now I have a hard time telling the difference between my bolt guns and my SASS. It always pays to send it to a great smith. If you go with a GAP AR-10 or American Precision Arms you can't go wrong.

I have velcro over my brass deflector as it was denting all my fired brass. No more dented brass now. The lugs within the barrel extension used to scratch the case mouths on extraction until I (VERY slightly) rounded two lug corners with a file. No more scratches and my brass. The ejector should be buffed on its corners to prevent brass shavings on the bolt face too.
My fired brass is in great shape.
Rifle is a DPMS LR260 AR10.

I built my AR-10 from a slick-side (no deflector or forward assist lower and the brass is fine. I have three loads on some of the brass and it is great shape. I did mod the gas block to be able to regulate the gas so the brass does not fly as far or erratic but even before that the brass was not getting beat up bad.

My 2 cents,

Best way to regulate the force of extraction is to regulate gas. JP makes an adjustable block and Fulton sells MGI gas tubes with an allen head screw that adjusts to tune the gas to your extraction needs. Before I did the mod I was lucky to get three reloads out of BHA brass. Tuning it down gives me 10-12 reloads per.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built my AR-10 from a slick-side (no deflector or forward assist lower and the brass is fine. I have three loads on some of the brass and it is great shape. I did mod the gas block to be able to regulate the gas so the brass does not fly as far or erratic but even before that the brass was not getting beat up bad.

My 2 cents, </div></div>

I looked into both the adjustable gas tube and JP's adjustable gas block knowing I needed to tune the gas volume down. Of the two I thought the JP GB was the better option. Before ordering the JP GB I figured I would try to mod my GB by drilling and tapping a 6-32 set screw. Knowing of I screwed the job I wold be ordering the JP GB. I figured I had nothing to lose other than the 5 minutes it took to drill and tap the gas block.

The job works great I can close it entirely to allowing the full flow of gas as original. Yes it does weaken the gas tube a little bit, the hole is only through one side of the tube. I will buy the JP GB if the tube breaks.

I'm encouraged by the feedback. I've been wanting to start reloading so that I don't spend so much cash on shooting. Before I left to come overseas, I was shooting about $90 worth of pistol ammo each week. Adding a rifle to the shooting routine I knew would break my bank if I didn't start reloading.

~ZL

That JP gas block is for .750" barrels, is there another one out there for larger barrels?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That JP gas block is for .750" barrels, is there another one out there for larger barrels? </div></div>

Yeah a .936

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That JP gas block is for .750" barrels, is there another one out there for larger barrels? </div></div>

Yeah a .936 </div></div>

Damn, my Noveske barrel is .875".

Stay with a match chamber for brass life. The less it stretches the longer it lives.
Tell the builder the loads you plan on shooting and have him design the gas system
and buffer to your average load. Bad timing tears up brass and ar's faster than any
other problem. You will see about 5 loadings out of an ar with loadings on the hotter
end for an ar, not for a bolt gun. A bolt gun could see twenty loadings with the same
brass, so no it won't last as long. But 150.00 worth of 308 brass is enough to wear
a barrel pretty well out so it's not a huge expense in the over all cost of things.