• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10t or 308 sps

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
Ok so guys i need some input and advice here. Im looking at trading my 06 rmz 450 dirt bike for 1800.00 and a sps 308 with 24" barrel, harris bi pod, sling, leupold mounts and bushnell scope. Same day i get a text from a guy with an armalite ar10 t that he would like to use as part trtade along with cash. I know nothing about the ar 10 and a little about the sps. Can you guys help me make a decision? i am so stuck on this one. I do want to try an ar10 out but not sure if i will like it compared to the sps. Plus ive got 2 hs precision stocks so i can use one on the sps. Thanks guys. i will upload pics of both of them in the morning sometime.

Re: AR 10t or 308 sps

Depends on what you want out of the rifle, each has it's pros/cons depending on what you are looking to do. More information would help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShamrockIV278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and i cant reuse brass </div></div>

That's kind of broad....I find the AR-10 I have (Armalite that is) is pretty easy on brass compared to a lot of other .308 platforms. I have no issues running a few reloads out of my brass. Depends on the rifle some too. Some demolish it, some give pretty clean ejections.

On topic, both will serve you well. I have more than a few bolt rifles and could not be happier with each one, but I recently started shooting an Armalite AR-10 and I love the thing and not to mention it is just plain fun as shit to shoot. The AR-10T is a fine rifle, but either way you will probably be happy.

I have both. As stated above. It depends on what you are going to use it for. The AR10 is a great Platform. But a tad heavy. If you are going to hunt with it. Both can be made into nice long range shooting platfroms. The Ar10 uses only Armilite mags. Most of the Newer Semi .308's LMT, Larue etc. Use the DPMS type mag. And magpull mags. For the money I would go with a Ar10. Seams like a better deal. Stock Rem 700's will run around $600-$800 or so. Ar10 from Armilite $1200-$1800 dependent on mod.

IMG_0557.jpg

Sorry for the crapie cell pics. Armilite Ar10 20in SPR type, and 16in Carbine.
IMG_0610.jpg

My SPS Tactical in H/S stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShamrockIV278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i cant reuse brass </div></div>

could you please expand on this? I've not heard that before

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShamrockIV278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i cant reuse brass </div></div>

could you please expand on this? I've not heard that before </div></div>

Some auto 308 platforms tend to be a little rough on brass upon ejection and some claim the brass is not useable after one run through the rifle....I personally have not found it to be the case with my AR-10...FWIW

You didn't mention what you already own or what you want to do with your new rifle and that may influence your decision. I own several bolt guns as well as quite a few AR10s and AR15s and have not had any problems reloading the brass. One thing to keep in mind is that with the AR platform a caliber change is only a new upper away, and depending on you future plans that may be a money saver.

As a shopping note don't forget to ask if the AR10T comes with a scope base, iron sights, or any mags.

Best of luck.

OK so i made a decision to just say heck with it and hold onto the bike till i find a trade for an m1a or sass or even a 338lm. I originally wanted one of those 3 but i was just settling i guess so i decided to hold off on either of those trades. Thanks guys for your input.

If you want dirt simple go SPS.

If you want quick follow up Ar10. Semi in 308 is lots of fun but can get expensive quick.

My Lr308 is fun and will shoot close to what my rem 700 will but it is heavy. If you are looking at the resale since you are trading as Muttt mentioned the ar10 will typically resale better.

i enjoy LR more with bolt guns. Ill stick to 5.56 with carbine type guns.