• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar-10t reloading guidance....

hershey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2007
northern ohio
i know, go use the search function, which i will be doing, but in the big picture of reloading i have never loaded to mag length before and not sure what i might need to know that differs from bolt guns.

rifle: armalite ar-10t 11.25 twist 24" barrel w/ brake leupold IV 4.5-14x50 lr/t.

i have re-15, varget, re-22, benchmark, re-17 h-380 and other powders on hand and most sierra bullets above 150gr as well as a host of other brands. looking to get out to 600yds.

Re: ar-10t reloading guidance....

Varget, CCI 250 (yes 250), 168 A Max or SMK.(long Bergers don't feed in most gas guns) Should give you a sub MOA load that will easily do 600. Load to fit magazine OAL and do not FL size if you can avoid it. (I use a Lee collet die on my DPMS 308)
Good shooting!

Loading to mag length isn't that bad for Armalites. I'm currently loading out to 2.840-2.845" without any feeding issues, the mags will allow for more but I touch the lands in the 2.85-2.86 range for the bullets that I use so haven't tried seating them any further.

Contrary to another poster, the Armalite 7.62x51 reamers are specifically designed to allow a mag fed COL. I can with my 7.62x51 AR10T put Berger 155's thru 210's into the lands and remain magazine fed. No speculation, just a fact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contrary to another poster, the Armalite 7.62x51 reamers are specifically designed to allow a mag fed COL. I can with my 7.62x51 AR10T put Berger 155's thru 210's into the lands and remain magazine fed. No speculation, just a fact. </div></div>

That is what happens when someone gives advice based off the DPMS LR-308 platform, which is NOT the same as the Armalite AR-10 rifles. To the OP, if someone gives you advice based on their experience with DPMS, KAC, POF, etc take it with a grain of salt. They are not all the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget, CCI 250 (yes 250), 168 A Max or SMK.(long Bergers don't feed in most gas guns) Should give you a sub MOA load that will easily do 600. Load to fit magazine OAL and do not FL size if you can avoid it. (I use a Lee collet die on my DPMS 308)
Good shooting! </div></div>
Why do you say not to use the FL die? I have used one for years and no problems. Just asking for the reason behind it.

Using an FL to FL wears out the brass faster. If you back it out a bit, it works fine. The collet die just produces more accurate ammo and does not work the neck like a conventional die.

I've used a full length sizer without any issues for years. I'm on the 6th(?) reload of a lot of 500 I bought 3 years ago. I don't know what else to say. I screw the sizer a little at a time and check to see if the brass will fall smoothly into the chamber. As soon as it does, I stop there. Any more sizing at that point is moot. A full length sizer will still size the body, shoulder and neck to a degree even when not touching the shell holder. Varget CCI br primers and any well made bullet are a great combination for the .308.