• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 - 20" Ballistic Advantage Barrel: 77SMK and CFE223

capreppy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Princeton, TX
I've got a bit of CFE223 because that's what I can find. I realize that the go to powder for the above setup is IMB 8028XBR, but that's about as none existent as other popular powders.

I've read so many threads, but very few actually call out the use of CFE223. I know it's been out a while and I also know that it's a bit slow. I'm seeing loads all over the place when I do see them. I'm wanting to do load up to take to the range and see how well they do, but I also want to make sure that I have a full range covered.

I'd rather not load everything from 23 all the way up to 26.2. Even at .3gr increments that's a fair amount of shooting.

Additional info: R-P brass (I have 1k pieces that have been FL sized and trimmed on a Giraud), CCI BR-4

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Do pairs in half grain increments then if youre just looking to map out pressure. Doesnt have to be pretty and can go fast if you just want to see when brass starts to get mangled.

That said, hodgdon has always done right by me
1602688936776.png

Do pairs in half grain increments then if youre just looking to map out pressure. Doesnt have to be pretty and can go fast if you just want to see when brass starts to get mangled.

That said, hodgdon has always done right by me
View attachment 7445539
I started on Hodgdon's Reloading website. I had planned to start with those numbers, but here and elsewhere, accuracy loads seem to be well ABOVE those numbers.

Capreppy: since your loading for a gas gun, might i suggest you reference the Sierra loading data, the AR-15 section.
That data be help you in your endeavors

Capreppy: since your loading for a gas gun, might i suggest you reference the Sierra loading data, the AR-15 section.
That data be help you in your endeavors

Except that the Sierra Reloading manual (at least the app version) doesn't even have any of the usual suspects and doesn't include CFE223 as an option. They list H4895, A2495, TAC, A2520, N140, N540, and RE15. IMHO, that's not particularly useful.