• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 ambi mag release?

greg1147

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Sep 12, 2017
    Virginia
    Any suggestions for ambi mag release? Did a search seems the prices cover a broad spectrum, figure its you get what you pay thing.
    Strike Industries $35-$40, KAC $60, Forward Controls $70, Norgon $70.
    TIA for suggestions or end user experience

Last edited:
    Any suggestions for ambi mag release? Did a search seems the prices cover a broad spectrum, figure its you get what you pay thing.
    Strike Industries $35-$40, KAC $60, Forward Controls $70, Norgren $70.
    TIA for suggestions or end user experience
    The JP is the best that I've found as for as feel and performance.

As for a budget friendly option the CMMG ZEROED AR15 Extended Ambi Mag release is pretty solid I run them in my Small Frame Gasser's

Reactions: Beans Beans
    Brownells sells a CMMG version of the Norgon ambi mag release. $33. I've used those quite a bit, works like they're supposed to. just not very glamorous.

I guess Norgon's copyright of their design expired, so others now copy the Norgon design, some better than others, some kinda crappy. The CMMG version is a pretty good duplication of the Norgon original.

Last edited:
    DO NOT get the strikes industries one.
    I had it on a build and it is way too easy to accidentally trigger.

The one in my Triarc rifle is pretty good I really like it. But I don't know specifically which one they are using.

The JP is the best that I've found as for as feel and performance.

As for a budget friendly option the CMMG ZEROED AR15 Extended Ambi Mag release is pretty solid I run them in my Small Frame Gasser's
    I agree.

To me; the JP Enterprises ambi setup is worth the $99

Both training classes and having small hands lead me to search for extended ambi mag releases. I’ve tried some full ambi lowers as well.
    LWRC, Radian and ADM. American Defense MFG. being my favorite and fit most standard and MK2 uppers I’ve tried. Looking into the SOL/ Forward Control Design lower to try out later on with a 6mm ARC build.

Getting back on topic with budget ambi conversions, I prefer the JP Enterprises mag release for function, reach, fit and finish. Went with my slightly shiny SOL standard AR lower. Truly flawless and the grip lines match the high quality SOL bolt catch if you’re into that sort of thing.
    JP provides a quality you can see and feel.
    At slightly less $$ is the Battle Arms Development in a grayish phosphate looking finish. Partly due to the shorter BAD mag release shaft: Spring tension- right side button size take some adjustment and fussing with to make perfect (lube helps). The grip lines are a tough match even with other BAD components. In hind-sight I should have spent the extra $35-$45 for the JP.
    Ok on my cheaper- older AP lower but would appreciate a smoother Blued or Nitrided finish from BAD in the future. I’m looking for a similar dimpled design as an option to match my Spikes Tactical Carbine with dimpled SLR components.
    I’m considering the Norgon and others of that design (Hera & CMMG Zeroed) to compare later on. I’m in no rush because I like the extended drop low-profile set up on the JP Enterprises and the BAD ambi mag release.
    This is only my humble opinion from what I’ve experienced building AR’s since 2017 and in the Armed Forces with the M16-A1- M16-A2 circa 1990’s.
    The JP remains King of the ambi conversion upgrades.

Reactions: bigjake83
    I have no experience with the JP but I do with KAC and FCD. The KAC is good quality obviously, but ends up in a weird position for me, little too far back. The FCD is very nice quality and in a good position. I have the extended which is very easy to reach but almost a little too easy to activate even with their included heavier spring. Next one I get will be the fcd standard length, should be little better for my hand size.

I agree.

To me; the JP Enterprises ambi setup is worth the $99

Both training classes and having small hands lead me to search for extended ambi mag releases. I’ve tried some full ambi lowers as well.
    LWRC, Radian and ADM. American Defense MFG. being my favorite and fit most standard and MK2 uppers I’ve tried. Looking into the SOL/ Forward Control Design lower to try out later on with a 6mm ARC build.

Getting back on topic with budget ambi conversions, I prefer the JP Enterprises mag release for function, reach, fit and finish. Went with my slightly shiny SOL standard AR lower. Truly flawless and the grip lines match the high quality SOL bolt catch if you’re into that sort of thing.
    JP provides a quality you can see and feel.
    At slightly less $$ is the Battle Arms Development in a grayish phosphate looking finish. Partly due to the shorter BAD mag release shaft: Spring tension- right side button size take some adjustment and fussing with to make perfect (lube helps). The grip lines are a tough match even with other BAD components. In hind-sight I should have spent the extra $35-$45 for the JP.
    Ok on my cheaper- older AP lower but would appreciate a smoother Blued or Nitrided finish from BAD in the future. I’m looking for a similar dimpled design as an option to match my Spikes Tactical Carbine with dimpled SLR components.
    I’m considering the Norgon and others of that design (Hera & CMMG Zeroed) to compare later on. I’m in no rush because I like the extended drop low-profile set up on the JP Enterprises and the BAD ambi mag release.
    This is only my humble opinion from what I’ve experienced building AR’s since 2017 and in the Armed Forces with the M16-A1- M16-A2 circa 1990’s.
    The JP remains King of the ambi conversion upgrades.

Without a doubt the JP Ambi mag release is the best option across the board in large and small frame receivers, but the CMMG Zeroed is a great and affordable option in small frame receivers. I find the CMMG to be a bit sloppy in the large frames especially when running Pmags where the polymer notch can be worn out over time, I'm slowly moving to the Lancer Mags over the Pmags that I usually shitcan after a year.

Reactions: Beans Beans
    I bought a couple of these. Work fine, no issues.