• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar 15 barrel ex. threads

skeeter73

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Aiken South Carolina
Does anyone know what the threads are on the barrel extension of an AR 15.
What would be the closes blot action rifle thread?
Better yet has anyone taken an Ar 15 barrel and rethread for a rifle action like Remington 700.
Anthony

Re: Ar 15 barrel ex. threads

Set-back the chamber and re-thread it, but what about the gas port? Oh well. Supposed you could muzzle the barrel off behind the port. How long would the new barrel measure?

Cap off gas port with a small screw.
Barrel is 20" now with out brake. Its a 6.5 grendel.
I was also thinking I my have to rechamber to something real close to the grendel cartridge size.

Enough. Depending on weights and type; 27-29.
Your choices are; <span style="font-weight: bold">6.5x47 Lapua</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">260 Remington</span>, among currently popular calibers, but there are others such as <span style="font-weight: bold">6.5 RemMag</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">6.5x284</span>.

Because there is more work involved in producing the finished product, AR barrels can cost more than bolt action rifle barrels to turn out. Your 6.5 AR barrel might fetch a reasonable price. Therefore, you might consider selling or trading it for what you want.

If I were your smith I wouldn't plug a gas port hole with a screw as suggested. That method does not ring true to me but what do I know? This for one; on the AR, propellant residue is expelled through the gas tube out to the bolt carrier vents. Were the port hole plugged as proposed, residue could accumulate in the small area of hole remaining. One can't ascertain its affect, if any, on bullet travel as it passes the accumulated residue. Theory perhaps, but I've been doing it long time.