• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 BARREL suggestions

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
I want to build an upper for one of my AR's. Looking to do an 18" with a Larue Stealth upper receiver and MI rail utilizing an Osprey gas piston conversion.

Looking for suggestions for a good barrel choice. I've considered Noveske, but would like some other input. I need something that is already chambered with the extension and gas block installed vs starting from a blank.
Thanks!
Steve

Re: AR-15 BARREL suggestions

I have a lother walther on my rifle. The thing is a tack driver.

I just purchased a White Oak 18" based on reading around the web.. also seemed the very reasonable $$...

RJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Wilson barrel 1X8 with a Wyld chamber is also a good choice. I have several AR's with this barrel and they are tackdrivers. </div></div>

This echoes my experience. A Wilson SS 1:8 with a Wylde chamber will usually like any bullets, have a great service life, and not break the bank-what's not to love?

I've had RC, WOA, and others that were good, but finicky about bullets. Unless I'm going to be shooting tracers (why the 1:7 is milspec) I'll never get a 1:7 again.......

+1 SFC Carpentier. I have used them,exceptional accuracy. You can get them from "White Oak Armament".

Damn, this is why I love this board! thanks for the input guys!
Steve

Im going to go against the grain and vote lilja. But like others have already stated the WOA is tough to beat for the price!

I have great experience with 18" 1:8 410SS Sabre Defence.
Accuracy compared to an out-of-the-box Rem 700 VSSF with Rem .223 55gr UMC is about equal, groups slightly (approx 1/4"-1/3") larger with the Sabre probably mostly due to POS mil-spec trigger and more moving parts.
Extremely consistent.

More expensive stuff is probably better though.

John - out

My only expirence is a noveske 18" spr, I went round and round trying to figure out which to buy as well before I bought the noveske. What sealed the deal with me was that everyone I talked with at the company were real nice and answeared all my questions, I still get a christmas card from Noveske every year, not that it matters, but it does show you that they are great folks. With hornady 75 grain match, i've shot a 3 shot group that measured .214, granted that was the best group , but with quality ammo, it'll shoot at least .75 moa and I'm not all that great a shot. My second choice would be a Lilja, and my next build I'll probably give them a try.

Zeb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go to www.compasslake.com

Krieger barrels or Douglas barrels

ALL with the exception of the AMU , the military teams use barrels made by compass lake

yes they are THAT good

super accurate , great barrel life,

look no further

</div></div>
+1....Assuming your are looking for a stainless "match" barrel.

Compass Lake will provide you a finished barrel you can bolt on. My Kriegers are awesomely accurate.

WOA is the other go-to company for "match-grade" AR uppers and barrels.

If you want a Lothar Walter barrel, then just buy a complete LaRue Stealth upper.

I have not heard of the Osprey piston system, but Adams Arms comes highly recommended.