• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AR-15 Build Muzzle Devices and Suppressors

DustBun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    Let me start out by saying I am inexperienced with suppressors. I am in the process of planning out my first AR-15 build and could use some advice regarding muzzle brakes and suppressors. My only experience with a suppressor is with my Knights SR-25 E2 PR with a Knights 7.62mm PRS/QDC. I don’t “have” the suppressor but I own it because I am still waiting on the ATF to let me have the suppressor that I paid for in May 2019 and that they cashed the $200 check for but that is another rant.

My goals for this rifle are that it will be a lightweight and compact tactical rifle that is accurate, relative to a short barrel. I want the ability to shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed. It would be used for target distances under 500 yards, typically 300 yards, using 55 and 62 grain bullets and hold a bit under 1 MOA.

If I use a 14.5” barrel then the muzzle brake needs to be pinned and welded, if I understand the ATF rules correctly. If I go this route then I would need to use a quick disconnect type of suppressor since I would be unable to remove the muzzle brake. Is that correct? What brake and suppressor would you recommend?

If I use a 16” barrel then the problem goes away, I believe, because I could use whatever muzzle brake and just remove it and install a suppressor. Is my thinking correct? If so then I was thinking about using the SJC Titan muzzle brake but don’t know what suppressor to use.

I am torn between a 14.5” barrel and dealing with the restriction of choices of muzzle devices or a 16” barrel without the restrictions. The 16” barrel will add a little weight and length but I wonder if the advantages of lack of restrictions offset the disadvantages of the weight and length. The 16” barrel should also increase velocity and accuracy a bit.

I was looking at the 5.56mm QDC 3-Prong Flash Eliminator Kit and 5.56 QDC/CQB Suppressor or 5.56mm QDC Suppressor for a 16” barrel setup or the 5.56mm M4QD Flash Hider Kit and 5.56mm QDSS NT4 for the 14.5” setup. And then there is the MAMS that I don’t about.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions but I need some guidance from those with experience. Any help and recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Let me start out by saying I am inexperienced with suppressors. I am in the process of planning out my first AR-15 build and could use some advice regarding muzzle brakes and suppressors. My only experience with a suppressor is with my Knights SR-25 E2 PR with a Knights 7.62mm PRS/QDC. I don’t “have” the suppressor but I own it because I am still waiting on the ATF to let me have the suppressor that I paid for in May 2019 and that they cashed the $200 check for but that is another rant.

My goals for this rifle are that it will be a lightweight and compact tactical rifle that is accurate, relative to a short barrel. I want the ability to shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed. It would be used for target distances under 500 yards, typically 300 yards, using 55 and 62 grain bullets and hold a bit under 1 MOA.

If I use a 14.5” barrel then the muzzle brake needs to be pinned and welded, if I understand the ATF rules correctly. If I go this route then I would need to use a quick disconnect type of suppressor since I would be unable to remove the muzzle brake. Is that correct? What brake and suppressor would you recommend?

If I use a 16” barrel then the problem goes away, I believe, because I could use whatever muzzle brake and just remove it and install a suppressor. Is my thinking correct? If so then I was thinking about using the SJC Titan muzzle brake but don’t know what suppressor to use.

I am torn between a 14.5” barrel and dealing with the restriction of choices of muzzle devices or a 16” barrel without the restrictions. The 16” barrel will add a little weight and length but I wonder if the advantages of lack of restrictions offset the disadvantages of the weight and length. The 16” barrel should also increase velocity and accuracy a bit.

I was looking at the 5.56mm QDC 3-Prong Flash Eliminator Kit and 5.56 QDC/CQB Suppressor or 5.56mm QDC Suppressor for a 16” barrel setup or the 5.56mm M4QD Flash Hider Kit and 5.56mm QDSS NT4 for the 14.5” setup. And then there is the MAMS that I don’t about.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions but I need some guidance from those with experience. Any help and recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Both the 14.5 and 16 inch lengths will get you to 500yds, all day. Weight differences aren’t noticeable but if cutting ounces is priority, then 14.5. Personally I’d do 16 because if I’m concerned about weight and OAL on a Tac rifle, then that means I’m room clearing and 10.5” would be my go to. But that isn’t listed in the post so let’s move on.

When I had my suppressors, I just went with a QD Mount on my 16” barrels. I could have swapped between brakes/mounts but I wasn’t running my suppressed ARs/SCAR for precision at that time, and I viewed having to removed my brake just to direct thread would be a pain in the dick. so I can’t help ya there.

Reactions: theLBC and DustBun
    Personally I would stick with the 16” barrel so you are not limited on what you can do and if you ever want to change down the road it’s not a PIA. I run a Noveske KX5 on my 16” AR and I’ve been very happy with it.

Pistol brace and 12.5in mid gas is the answer. Short enough to do work, long enough to get to 500y no problem.

Reactions: DustBun
    ^^^

This guy knows. I wouldn’t build a rifle to be suppressed that’s not a SBR length. Unless it’s purely a prone/bench gun.

If you must go with 14.5. As short as possible. If your buying KAC mounts then you won’t be changing them to anything else I’m sure.

^^^

This guy knows. I wouldn’t build a rifle to be suppressed that’s not a SBR length. Unless it’s purely a prone/bench gun.

If you must go with 14.5. As short as possible. If your buying KAC mounts then you won’t be changing them to anything else I’m sure.
    Sorry for my ignorance but when you say "If your buying KAC mounts then you won’t be changing them to anything else I’m sure." Does that mean they are good or because the muzzle device would be welded or why? Thanks

Let’s see. If your buying KAC cans they they only work with their mounts. Their mounts can be very expensive as well.

You're not going to want to be swapping out a muzzle brake for a can every time you decide you want to shoot suppressed/unsuppressed.....besides after shooting suppressed you wont have much desire to shoot unsuppressed anyway.
    Pick what can you want, buy it, and buy a muzzle device for it... I'm planning on building a 14.5 gun with a rugged 3 port brake pinned and welded in the next couple months when I get enough side money saved up (noveske and geissele ain't cheap lol)