• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 Carrier Screw

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
Anyone know what size the Carrier Key screw size is on a AR-15. Thread size and Length. Would like to find some with Torx Head. Thanks for any info you have.

Re: AR-15 Carrier Screw

XP, I am pretty sure the pitch is 8-32 and the thread length under the head is .25. on Mil-spec carriers I think its 1/2 but I have seen others 9/32. I would recommend staking it down correctly, Moacks makes a great tool for this.

Thanks mjh they are 8-32x1/4. I found the Grade 8 Torx at McMaster-Carr # 92610A190...$7.67/100

Does it matter since they are installed once and then staked? If you are removing your carrier key screws, something is wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it matter since they are installed once and then staked? If you are removing your carrier key screws, something is wrong. </div></div>

What he said.

Were your screws not staked on your carrier?