• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 charging handle

jwkao2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
Can someone tell me what the difference between charging handles and accompanied parts are? Is this all just personal preference?

Re: AR 15 charging handle

Preference. If you run a scope or like racking the bolt with your support hand a bigger latch is sure nice. If you do it allot and aren't gentle you probably want one that applies the force thru more than a little roll pin. I don't run a can so gas blocking doesn't matter at all.

If you want a great middle of the road charging handle check out the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, medium size latch and it feels great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a great middle of the road charging handle check out the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, medium size latch and it feels great. </div></div>

I agree with this. I have one on my comp. AR and my SBR. The latch is easy to grab and I'm not worried about breaking it. Never broke a standard latch but the peace of mind is nice.

The BCM Gunfighter to me is the best charging handle out there, tough as nails and you do not have to worry about the latch blowing through the slot in the handle when you get tough with it. Some folks think it will catch on your gear because of the size and release from the latched position. I carry my weapon on a three point sling (yea I know old school but I like to keep my muzzle out of the dirt)and it has never released. While running or transitioning to my sidearm and firing on the move. I cannot say anything bad VLTOR makes a great product.

ZI have a TAC-Latch on a AR-10 and AR-15. It is great when laying prone with a scope because I can use it almost like a side-chargin handle without changing position. However they both dig into my back when slung back for hiking or running.
I haven't found the 'perfect latch' myself...yet.

I found the BCM Gunfighter Large is absolutely essential on a scoped .308 AR when your fingers and gun are cold and wet. The stiffer spring in the big AR made it nearly impossible to charge with the stock handle since you can't grip both sides of the handle with the scope in the way. With the large size latch, it works like a side charge, and it's big enough to run with your whole hand instead of your fingers.

I'm a big fan of the BCM charging handle with the medium latch.

BCM gunfighter Mod3 on both AR15 and the POF308. So much more ergo friendly when your doing drills or just fooling around. I think Mod3 is the largest. I thought I needed to get another one for my future rifle but it already came with one from the factory. Thumbs up on that !

Another +1 for the BCM. Mod4 is perfect and provides all the leverage you'll need. It's extremeley unsatisfying to rack a std charging handle now. So, you've got more than one upper or gun, be prepared to spend the $45 for each gun.

If you run it w/ the supppressor toss some black RTV on the back and you'll save yourself from the blowback mustache.

Get yourself a BCM Gunfighter Large and the first time you rack it with one hand you will smile and never look back. Regards

Yepp With everyone else is the bcm gunfighter all the way, I run an arold suppressed and got rid of the pri gas buster in favor of the bcm. If you sling the gun where the charging handle can poke you, the bcm will dig in a bit, but its worth it

FWIW I'll also throw my vote in for the BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I'm also a fan of the large now. I originally purchased the medium and loved it until winter when I encountered some issues with manipulating it with gloves on. I'm sure that's more operator headspace error than anything else, but switching to the large made my life a lot more pleasurable so that's why I tend to recommend the large these days. As was previously mentioned, be prepared to lay out for this purchase on each and every upper you get, it sucks going back to a normal charging handle after you get used to it.

depends on where you want to spend money, ive seen guys just add a larger latch and use black sealant at the rear of the handle to seal gas.

Its all preference, i run BCMs, on my latest purchase im just upgrading the latch, its a daily plinker, not worth it for me to upgrade and im not running suppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR FE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a big fan of the BCM charging handle with the medium latch. </div></div>

+1 - Some of those much larger latches get in the way of any optics that you may set back - or snag on unintended things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with BCM gunfighter mod 4. I have 2 and they're great. </div></div>

+2 Same here have it on 2 of my Ar's and plan to install them on the others.

+1 Like almost everybody else here the BCM gunfighter Mod 4 is great. Just bought another for my new upper.