• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 15 Failure to feed.

pyrotechnic

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2003
Montana
Ok guys I got a question.

The rifle is a POF 415. Its the 16" mid-length "recon". I have had this happen before when I first purchased the rifle a couple years ago and was home on leave.. I didn't pursue the issue then as I didn't have much time. I EASed about a year ago and have since put a little under 1000rds through it of the same case of PMC 55gr FMJ ammo. Haven't had any issues with it until now. I kind of figured that maybe the rifle had "broken in" but today this happened again.

I fire the first shot and go to fire the second and its a no-go. Bolt isn't completely into battery. I extract the round and it is literally bent at the neck and right below the shoulder with a big shiny gouge/dent just below the shoulder.

It fails to go into battery on one more round but for the most part starts working fine. If I hit the bolt release or manually charge the weapon it doesn't deform the round, but when the weapon chambers one under its own steam it deforms the round to some extent.

I tried a different P-Mag and same results, tried a standard mag and did the same thing. The worst it deformed the round was after that initial shot. I went back to the original magazine and it seemed to be around the same as the other mags. Couldn't get it to mash up a round like it the did the first couple shots.

Looking at it it seems like the round might be entering the chamber at too steep and angle and the tip of the bullet it hitting the top of the chamber and the shiny gauge/dent is the fulcrum where the round is getting bent over the edge of the chamber.

So I'm wondering what you folks think this could be. I'm going shooting tomorrow again and I'm going to bring all my mags out and see if it does it will all of them. Since it was only doing it when the weapon was fired vs manually charged I was wondering if maybe the bolt carrier group is moving too fast? Any suggestions for any trouble shooting I can do tomorrow.

DSCF2155.jpg

The one on the far right is the round that wouldn't got into battery. The picture suck ass, hopefully they help a bit though.

Thank you,
Maarten

Re: AR 15 Failure to feed.

I've seen this before on a SBR with a carbine length gas system. The receiver had no M-4 ramps and like you said the bolt was too fast, the mags were garbage as well which was probably the main culprit. There are tons of POF guys on the site that shoould be able to help.

May very well be ammo related, try another brand. So does the bolt lock back when a single round is fired?

Yep, the bold locks back after the last round. I've got some privi partisan (spelling) That I will bring today and see if it has the same problem.

Thanks,

Maarten

I had a similar problem with a used Noveske N4. After talking to Joel at Noveske he suggested the bufer and recoil spring be replaced,. His theory was not enogh dwell time and BCG was moving to fast for the magazine to follow. Turned out it had an incorrect buffer and recoil spring. Replaced both with H1 buffer and new spring which cured the problem. I guess in my case previous owner had replaced the correct parts for some reason. Fix cost $30

It only mauled the PMC ammunition. The Privi Partisan worked just fine. Also it did it in 4 out of 4 Pmags. It was much worse on a full magazine than with one with only a couple rounds in it. That explains why I haven't noticed it over the last year even though I have been shooting the same ammunition. When going to the range I've only been stuffing several rounds in a mag at a time so it hasn't been dinging them up bad enough to cause a malfunction.

Have you guys heard of any other people having issues with PMC. I'll pick up a different brand of .223 and check if it does it with that as well.

Thanks,

Maarten

I HAVE A POF P415 18" AND IT DOES THE EXACT SAME THING AS PYROTECHNIC.
I'M JUST CURIOUS WHAT THE FIX ACCUALLY WAS?

The PMC is probably underpowered, causing the carrier to not completely go back.

Then the bolt catches the body of the round and ends up bending the case.

i had the same problem on an AR of mine. My problem was I had not cleaned my bolt carrier in a while. I would take the bolt out of the bolt carrier and spray it down with break cleaner. Also, make sure you have the bolt well oiled.

I HAVE USED ALL KINDS OF AMMO ITS NOT THE AMMO OR MAGS I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED ALL THAT......

MINE HAPPENS ABOUT THE THIRD SHOT AFTER CLEANING ALMOST EVERYTIME.

DLM 123,

How about turning your caps lock off before you get banned... Just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DLM 123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HAVE USED ALL KINDS OF AMMO ITS NOT THE AMMO OR MAGS I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED ALL THAT...... </div></div>

Wasn't replying to you, was replying to the OP.

I know a guy who spent good money on a POF and took it to a Magpul Carbine Class, the thing did not make it through the first day. On the way home he went and bought a different gun that worked fine.

LOL... I'M THINKING HE MIGHT HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING.....

Make sure you don't have one of those "extra power" recoil springs. The only time I have ever had similar problems it was fixed by replacing such a spring with a stock carbine spring.

Pyrotechnic, does it cycle when you put the gas block on S for suppressed with no suppressor?

Remove the buffer and buffer spring and check to ensure they are the correct Part for your barrel length. Check the stock tube for any signs of undue wear. If the buffer and spring are the correct part roll the spring on a clean flat surface to check for bending in the spring it self. Measure the spring for length comparing to factory spec (I don't know POFs) I suspect that your spring is too short and combined with low powered factory ammo it is either not allowing te BCG to come all the way back or returning it too quickly. The other symptoms can also be double feeds: fast BCG plus loose mag lips. Or if it starts to stovepipe the fired round with a good one. Too strong spring plus undercharged ammo.
I hope this helps.

I Had forgotten POFs were piston operated: you may also need to check the piston and operating rod size. Although if bought new they should be correct. In piston guns the buffer assembly MAY still be the issue. But the gas system itself is where adjustments are generally made.